'14 RAM 1500 ECODIESEL VM Motori L630DOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it's worth changing early. No evidence that it significantly helps engine life, but at the same time it can only help, not hinder.

On a side note, care to give an initial review of the power-train and the overall vehicle?

Congratulations on the new ride there. Hows the pickup and performance ? Top speed you had it up to ? What has the mpg been on a tank of fuel so far ?
Temple huh ? Down the road from where I use to live in Granger.

Thx
B

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Congratulations on the new ride there. Hows the pickup and performance ? Top speed you had it up to ? What has the mpg been on a tank of fuel so far ?
Temple huh ? Down the road from where I use to live in Granger.

Thx
B

Thanks Boczech. It has lots of power and tows my 29' 6,500lb Airstream wonderfully. My average MPG on Fuelly is 19.4 which includes towing my Airstream.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
How do you know it is PU Euro 5w30?

I do not know that for sure. I wrote "unknown, but I suspect it is Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30" on the slip. Since that is the oil that the owner's manual recommends to use, I would assume that Fiat Chrysler has some sort of agreement. However, it could be whatever oil that VM uses.

I had the oil changed at the dealer yesterday.
11qts of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 at $6.60/qt and a $60 oil filter.
Total cost was $158.04

I plan to go 8,000 miles on this time, but I'll probably take a sample at 6,000 miles.

Fraser-did you send off your samples yet?

WOW that's one expensive oil change! I would use the lube to the limit at that cost.

I still drive a 6.0 Powerstroke and I thought my $75 OC's were expensive.

Originally Posted By: pb379
I had the oil changed at the dealer yesterday.
11qts of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 at $6.60/qt and a $60 oil filter.
Total cost was $158.04

I plan to go 8,000 miles on this time, but I'll probably take a sample at 6,000 miles.

Fraser-did you send off your samples yet?

I thought the engine held 8 qts. of oil?

Well, yes it is pricey, but 11 quarts of full synthetic oil for $72 is not that bad. There are no cheap ACEA C3/MS-11106 oils available. The OCI is 10,000 miles. 8,000 miles if you burn B6-B20 biodiesel. Hopefully the aftermarket will start making the engine oil filter soon. $60 for a filter is a bit too much in my opinion.

How much would it cost for your Powerstroke if you used oil that was $7/qt?

The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel takes 10L or 10.5qts. The Jeep EcoDiesel is 8qts.

Well, yes it is pricey, but 11 quarts of full synthetic oil for $72 is not that bad. There are no cheap ACEA C3/MS-11106 oils available. The OCI is 10,000 miles. 8,000 miles if you burn B6-B20 biodiesel. Hopefully the aftermarket will start making the engine oil filter soon. $60 for a filter is a bit too much in my opinion.

How much would it cost for your Powerstroke if you used oil that was $7/qt?

Well the 6.0 refill is 14 qts., so at $7 a gallon that would be $98 plus $15 for a filter, but I only need CJ-4 rated lube so I am much cheaper for oil and filter.

The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel takes 10L or 10.5qts. The Jeep EcoDiesel is 8qts.

Thanks for clearing that up. It was the Jeep is was looking at.

I got my first UOA back from Blackstone today. The sample was taken from the dip stick tube with a pump. The FF is still in the truck. They recommended I change the FF to wash out the wear metals.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C4DoTz304ILB9--IIJeO89MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

UOAs on new equipment are nearly worthless, except to see what you'd expect; high metals. A lack of stabilization makes for no reasonable conclusions.

Nothing to glean here.

It would be a good idea to flush out a few OCIs to rid the residuals, but at the OCI cost, that would hurt the wallet, badly. Nothing wrong with running "normal" OCIs per the OEM OCI plan, but there is no reason to UOA for the first several if that is your plan.

What I find interesting is that the truck was worked , towing the trailer. The higher iron shows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back