13' Subaru WRX RT6 3,412mi (Elevated Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
miXepOD.png

Torque Performance Stage 1 for whole duration for this OCI

During My first Track Day on Oct 10th I changed my oil right before in the AM and did Three 30 min sessions. The Third Session I was pushing it much harder than prior(1/4 of a tank for the first two seesion then used 1/3rd for the 3rd session) According to my phones accelerometer I did hit 1.1G in corners with almost every corner near 1G

I do not have an oil Pressure guage I just have oil temp I saw ~230F

I do want to do another track day so I was going to buy a bigger oil pan that has better baffling and guage setup before next time, but this is my DD so it will do track days very infrequantly.(I mostly autocross)

Last edited:
Have you posted this anywhere yet? I've been seeing so many '13/'14 WRX and STI uoa's with elevated silver that I'm losing track! Torqed Performance is an e-tune, right?

Can you log and check for knock? What were the previous uoa's?

-Dennis

Hey Dennis,

First time posting this just got the report, I do not have knock if I log 3rd gear pull but in 4th high RPM at the track I did notice a knock here and there but nothing crazy. Power was smooth and uninterupted 99.9% of the time. I did smack the fuel cut limiter once by accident.

Torqued Performance is an e tune yep!

Pervious UOAs, 0-19k SOA oil, 23k-34k Motul Xclean 8100 5W30. 34k- Now Rotella T6, This UOA was secound fill of T6.

Last edited:
I thought all the new stuff came with knock sensors. Putting the Golden Screwdriver to that system may not end well.

Hey Dennis,

Is there a better oil than T6 I could try?

I just went Stage 2 Im going to Change this out at 3k and see what it says. But Im wondering if I should change to something better.

Motul xcess 5W40? Redline??

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
miXepOD.png

I do want to do another track day so I was going to buy a bigger oil pan that has better baffling and guage setup before next time, but this is my DD so it will do track days very infrequantly.(I mostly autocross)

Your Oil is fine, I just want to comment on the track stuff.
Where are you measuring your oil from and what type of gauge do you have?
From my experience, a 13' STI will start getting into the 255F+ range one to two laps in (starting at 180-200F) and I'm making stock power. This is measuring with sandwich oil adapter plate right above the oil filter. Regardless going into 270F is fine. (if the oil can handle it
wink.gif
)

Save your money on the bigger oil pan, once you get more used to car, the track, and improve your skills, the oil (or oil temp) will not hold back your sessions.
For example, two things I'll be working on is fixing possible overheat conditions with my watertemp. It happens more on short tracks with not long straights. On longer straights like Road America, you're just feeding so much air into the radiator that the issue takes awhile to creep up. So getting a bigger radiator is priority #1 for next year. They shrunk down our model year radiator compared to previous years.
cry.gif

Secondly, I've had fuel cuts off at around 6k RPM, which is still way below redline, coming out of longer high G turns on to longer straights. This is reproducible with under 1/2 a fuel tank, and happens more often with 1/4 tank. So the fuel system is another weak link on the car. Easy solution is keep your tank above 1/2 but that's more weight!

Gauges are a good idea because they will let you know what you need to improve on the car once you get to those points.

Thanks for the reply

Long Story short I had to hand calibrate the gauge, I used boiling water 190ish to give me a high reading but it might be off for sure.

I installed it under the TMIC it was a PITA to install and my gauge was defective so I made the best of it using an Arduino.

Im looking to buy Defi gauges or equivalent soon so I can get better accuracy and more info.

I did Palm Beach International Raceway its not a very long track and its not very demanding.

I made sure I had a full tank, I filled up after the first two since I was at half a tank to ensure no fuel starvation.

Just keep your intervals short and keep an eye on silver. Blackstone has been flagging it because of bearing failures with silver as low as 6 ppm's. A few uoa's are posted on iwsti and in the 2.5 and Service & Maintenance forums at nasioc. A few of them have been on Cobb AP's but I don't recall if any were stock (I think some of them were). Hopefully it's just "noise".

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Just keep your intervals short and keep an eye on silver. Blackstone has been flagging it because of bearing failures with silver as low as 6 ppm's. A few uoa's are posted on iwsti and in the 2.5 and Service & Maintenance forums at nasioc. A few of them have been on Cobb AP's but I don't recall if any were stock (I think some of them were). Hopefully it's just "noise".

-Dennis

Thanks Dennis

I just went stage 2 so this is worrysome ill keep short intervals and hopefully it goes down.

so what's the plan? do another UOA with NO track day, and see if silver comes down? that wouldn't necessarily mean the silver came from the track day, but it's a start...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
So have we confirmed the EJ25 has silver in the bearing alloy?

Yes, it appears so. It used to be lead and was switched to silver a few years ago. You might be able to find specifics buried somewhere on nasioc. Here's some info and you can probably google more.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2588529

Funny how I commented in that thread that the slightly elevated silver in the one uoa was no big deal and now Blackstone is flagging silver because of failures.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back