13' Duramax drain interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel its my place to recommend one good product over another.
Typical of BITOG, you have to read between the lines.
There are no wrong answers from the other guys posting on this thread.
My recommendations or "what I would do" more often than not, test the boundaries of this site.
When I see the experts jumping all over my position, I want to know why.
When I see the popcorn eating icon...other members are watching.

More important than my opinion is what do you think you should do?
OLM and no-name brand CJ-4 or test the boundaries of extended drain intervals
with a grade that is not recommended by your engine manufacture?
At the end of the day, the decision has to be your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
10-4 i hear you on that.I am going to stick with 8k miles drain intervals with Delvac,Delo,or Rotella based on who's cheaper,unless i can find oil with free samples.

I wish we had a "like" button, that way a consensus could be gotten out of this, but sometimes no news is good news.
In the big terrestrial transportation industry (me) boring is the objective.
Draining your engine oil when it is convenient to do so around OLM time with the manufactures recommended grade and specification is boring at best.

One little glitch came up a few posts ago on this thread and I'm surprised that nobody jumped all over it, and that is zinc levels in HDMOs.

As a Canadian tax payer I owned and paid for Petro-Canada and it's lube plant, (Now Suncor) so I use their products about 70% of the time.
They, like Chevron publish their basic additive package, and people see the high zinc and phosphorus levels in the CI-4+ products.

Those high levels of anti-wear additives are there to provide a sustained moderate, but adequate level of engine protection over an extended service interval.

These high levels of anti-wear additives may or may not provide adequate valve train wear protection in every application.

So here is a plug for the other guys I mentioned.

Obviously recognizing a missing market opportunity Pet-Can Duron is now available in a "Classic" formula with an old obsolete service classification like GH-4/SJ in 15W40 and 20W50.

I personally don't have anything up and running at the moment that could make use of such an engine oil, but there you have it.

Originally Posted By: Redland1
I should have explained why I did not want to go the oil sample route.An oil change for me cost $39 with tax and that is using Delo 400 and the oem ACdelco oil filter.According to the DIC and my running conditions,it would have me change out the oil between 7500-8k miles which I thought was pretty good.Now that I have deleted,the DIC is no longer accurate and I figured since all the emissions are gone the oil would be able to go longer.An oil sample will run me $35 and i am guessing that the oil could run to about 15k.Now in that case I rather dump the oil at 8k and have fresh oil and filter rather than taking it out to 15k with no real cost savings.

Obviously, you are welcome to what you want with your truck; no one is going to take that away from you.

I would NOT extend your OCIs out past the IOLM, unless you do UOAs. The risk, however remote, is pretty large should the unthinkable happen.

Yes - data clearly shows that 15k mile OCIs is easily doable with a Dmax such as yours (deleted and regens via the 9th injector). Essentially, although you do have regens, they don't affect the lube or engine. (They do burn fuel; it's a fiscal cost). Your Dmax is akin to mine, now that you are deleted, in terms of wear data.

It's your choice to make. You can extend your OCIs and data tells us that it's very safe even out to 15k miles, even using conventional lube stock. In fact, I don't see any statistical differential in macro data between syns and dino out to 15k miles.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back