13,000 Mile Crown Vic Dinosaur

It will be interesting to see the final sales price. $9500 with a bit over 14 hours to go.

I'm on the fence as to whether the purple (Plum Mist Metallic) will help or hurt.

In 1991 Dad retired and with his lump sum bought mom a jet black 1991 Cadillac Brougham. It looked like a limo. They were real homebodies and after Dad passed Mom insisted on keeping it. I drove it once a month just to keep it running. Mom passed in 2007 and I inherited it with 17K miles. It stayed in the garage, with a dust cover over it 30 out of 31 days. "Pristine" is probably overused but this one was as close as you will find.

With three little kids at that time is was not at all practical to keep. Reluctantly I listed it for sale. A loud flamboyant guy that ran a rodeo bought it and paid the 10K I was asking. Then he threw in another $100 just to show off I guess. I laughed and wished him well.

Then, about two weeks later I visited my local indy body shop for another reason. Moms pristine car was parked with one side of it GONE from front corner to rear. Just peeled away. I was in shock seeing it like that. My wife gasped. I talked to the body guy and asked him what on earth happened. He said that old fool got drunk and sideswiped a passing train!

I would love my department to offer to sell me the lone 'Vic cruiser we still have in fleet when I retire in March. I'd take that over buying my service pistol (bought both my previous ones when I "retired" twice before) in a heartbeat. It's a creampuff too, because no one drives it except a couple old farts like me that still appreciate them as probably one of the best, if not THE best, patrol vehicle on the planet.

I would guess $17,000 for the final bid. People go crazy over old cars in good shape and it looks as if it would be nice "cars and coffee" car as sell as a regular driver. The color is kind of rare for those and I would say it would make it bring a higher selling price. Black would be better IMO. Those old crown vic's are a crowd please with a cult following.

The color is kind of rare for those and I would say it would make it bring a higher selling price.
Sis' Mazda was "Indigo Lights", an intense, hard to describe deep blue. A bloke I met in an auto-trading ghetto (Teterboro/Hasbrouck Heights, NJ) told me it was considered purple and way less desirable.
He offered $3,000.
The father of a kid on Long Island, who wrapped his Mazda6 around a tree, wouldn't spring for another 6, so the college bound lad answered the ad. There were other 3's but he liked the color. $6,800.

Re that color:
When I met my wife, her '98-'01 Honda AccordV6 was available in that color (plum?). Hers was green.

A pal went to his local used car lawn (small operation) and he had a choice of 3 plum Saturn wagons. "If they had blue, I would've chosen that", he said.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the final sales price. $9500 with a bit over 14 hours to go.

I'm on the fence as to whether the purple (Plum Mist Metallic) will help or hurt.
There was an undercover cop car in that exact color/model that used to hide out looking for speeders on the highway near me. I used to chuckle to myself, that color ain't fooling nobody.

People talk about the auto enthusiast being dead, and Bring a Trailer auctions are part of what killed it IMO. Gone are the days where a young kid could find a cool car for cheap from an older gentleman in the local classifieds, because anything remotely cool is scooped up and posted on BAT for top dollar.

I would guess $17,000 for the final bid. People go crazy over old cars in good shape and it looks as if it would be nice "cars and coffee" car as sell as a regular driver. The color is kind of rare for those and I would say it would make it bring a higher selling price. Black would be better IMO. Those old crown vic's are a crowd please with a cult following.
You were very close-$17,250.00

Cheaper than anything of recent vintage with 17K miles and also a car that is known to hold up well in use and for which all of the potential weaknesses have already been discovered along with cheap fixes for them.
There can't be many good original low miles CVs left.

I especially like this wording:

Power for the large sedan comes from the venerable Ford 4.6L V8 engine – in this guise factory-rated to produce 190 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque – which flows to the rear wheels via a four-speed automatic transmission.

"flows" is right, through that sloppy abomination of a slushbox, lol!

Back