12V DC Portable Air Compressor Safety

I finally got a 12 volt portable compressor to add to the emergency kit. It is a used one donated by a friend. He was not sure if it was working and made a gig to tested out. This got me thinking weather running this thing out of a cigarette lighter adapter is the best thing. I am hoping to use it for multiple cars and those in need.

I am planning on cutting the lighter adapter and adding some clamps and probably a fuse holder w/ 10 or 15 amps fuse. This is probably the safest way to avoid any electrical problems in any car. Just clamp to battery directly and turn on.

Attachments

• CMP-IMG_7031.JPG
    CMP-IMG_7031.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 9
I’ve had a few over the years for filling bike tires and the random low tire. I’ve always used the cig lighter without any issue but clamping direct to the battery is probably the best way.

On those small consumer grade infiltrators, the cig lighter socket is fine. On the Viair model I have, it comes with clamps as it draws well over 10 amps. Unless you're blowing fuses, it should be fine in the lighter socket.

You don't even need, need a fuse in this example. You'll be around watching if things go south and can yank the alligator clips.

HF has an amazing 20-something piece alligator clip kit for ~$3!

The best thing you can do for a 12v compressor is to get rid of that 20 ft lamp cord they put on them and use some 14ga, that and hook to the battery and run the engine while using it. 20 ft of 18 ga wire with a 10 amp load will drop the voltage 2.5v so the compressor is only getting 10 v and it causes the little motors to overheat as it tries to draw more current to make up for the voltage drop. Either that or use a shorter cable and get a longer air line.

The best thing you can do for a 12v compressor is to get rid of that 20 ft lamp cord they put on them and use some 14ga, that and hook to the battery and run the engine while using it. 20 ft of 18 ga wire with a 10 amp load will drop the voltage 2.5v so the compressor is only getting 10 v and it causes the little motors to overheat as it tries to draw more current to make up for the voltage drop. Either that or use a shorter cable and get a longer air line.

Imwas going to say the same thing.

Back