125 Years Later and Tesla's Victory Is Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.kentucky.com/109/story/238691.html

New York, the city that Thomas Edison electrified 125 years ago, has completed the transition from direct to alternating current, helping to erase the vestiges of a feud between giants of invention.

Last week, the Consolidated Edison utility pulled the plug on direct-current service. Electric operations manager Fred Simms, a Con Ed employee for 52 years, cut a ceremonial cable on a Manhattan street.

The change means that Con Ed now exclusively uses the alternating-current system invented by Nikola Tesla. The utility is named for Edison, whose Pearl Street Station in Manhattan was the nation's first central electrical power plant, serving 59 customers with direct current starting in 1882.

In the so-called "war of currents," Edison feuded with Tesla and George Westinghouse over which transmission method to adopt -- even publicly electrocuting animals in an attempt to show that AC was too dangerous.

AC, however, proved superior, as transformers allowed electricity to travel over long-distance wires. Con Ed froze the development of the DC system in 1928 but continued to supply New York's major DC customers with the existing system.

In January 1998, Con Ed began to eliminate DC service. At that time, there were more than 4,600 DC customers. By last year, there were 60.

Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee said some of the city's elevators still operate with DC using rectifiers that convert the utility's AC service.

Nikola Tesla died a poor man because of his passion for what he believed in rather than the business profit end. His work was never really recognized as compared to Edison and others.

Pablo, still need AC at either end to step it up and down.

Oz should seriously be considering connecting the states with DC links. We've huge distances, and (relatively to the U.S.) small loads, small generating stations sparsely spread.

When they run HV AC three wire systems, they interact with each other. So every few kilometers, the placement of the red/white/blue phases is transposed to try to make even capacitance/inductance for the travel of each phase...DC doesn't do that.

Further, most people don't realise that with AC systems, every single generator is connected and running at exactly the same speed, locked solid with every other generator in the grid. Instability can drag all of them down. Having a DC link between generating centres breaks the lock step.

BTW, I saw one of these in the flesh the other day. It was removed from the old (1950s) part of one of the stations that I work at and donated to a museum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_arc_valve

Dead ringer for the pic in wiki.
250px-Mercury_Arc_Rectifier.jpg

I probably shouldn't admit it, but I used to operate mercury arc rectifiers as we called then in the USA. We took them out of service in the early to mid '70s. In Chicago we turned the three-wire Edison DC system to rectifiers around that time as well. I've been retired for seven years, but I would wager there are still DC customers in the down-town area of the city.

Originally Posted By: 9c1
I probably shouldn't admit it, but I used to operate mercury arc rectifiers as we called then in the USA. We took them out of service in the early to mid '70s. In Chicago we turned the three-wire Edison DC system to rectifiers around that time as well. I've been retired for seven years, but I would wager there are still DC customers in the down-town area of the city.

What were the DC customers doing with it?

Originally Posted By: XS650
I went to school with a guy from India who grew up with 25 Hz in his town.

One of my turbine contractors is picking up some work in South Africa (who supplies a fair number of other neighbouring countries).

They often end up with 46 or 47 Hz...unintentionally I know.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

One of my turbine contractors is picking up some work in South Africa (who supplies a fair number of other neighbouring countries).

They often end up with 46 or 47 Hz...unintentionally I know.

When I was stationed near Adana Turkey in the 1960s their local 50hz was erratic enough that electric clocks were useless.

I remember as a small child, maybe 7 or 8 YO, visiting Windsor, Canada, the flickering florescent lights in the stores. My dad explained about 25 cycle power.

XS650 What were the DC customers doing with it? [/quote said:
The three-wire Edison DC system (120/240 DC) were mostly used for elevators, I was told, by the time the system went to rectifiers. Back in the days when it was difficult to impossible to control AC motors. Earlier there was extensive lighting and ventilation motor load on the DC system.

We also made/make DC for the transportation systems -- streetcars and light rail cars -- the famous Chicago elevated, and an electric heavy rail system. 600 volts for the light rail and 1500 volts for the heavy rail. Those systems were sold/given to the transportation operators in the later '70s early '80s. We used both rotary converters and murcury arc rectifiers when I went to work on that system, but it was all converted to solid state rectifiers before it was turned over to the transportation companies.

We used to have 25 cycle power in Chicago, but it was before my time. I saw some of that equipment RIP (Retired In Place) when I first started. It was used exclusively to feed rotary converters which made DC. I guess the 25 cycles allowed the machines to turn more slowly than the 60 cycle machines reducing the maintenance needed to keep them operating. At least I think that was the way it worked. The rotary converters were very labor intensive to keep properly operating. Carbon dust is ugly stuff.

When I started (1968) we trained on the DC system and had to demonstrate our proficiency on that system before we were allowed to operate on the AC system. Less than five years later there effectively was no DC system. I got the guys who were old -timers when I started to show me all the old equipment that was still around because I liked history. Now I see some of the same type of equipment in railway museums, and at Greenfield Village. Some of it has very striking Deco design features for the humble machinery that it is.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Don't know about others, but I'd love some pictures of some of thuis stuff!

Bob

Indeed. The wiki photos just got my juices flowing....so to speak....

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Don't know about others, but I'd love some pictures of some of thuis stuff!

Bob

Indeed. The wiki photos just got my juices flowing....so to speak....

Ditto here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back