12 Tacoma Front pads/rotors (pics) change now?

I would wire wheel those calipers then see what condition they're in before replacing. There's a lot of metal there to rust, they usually look worse than they really are. But if the pistons don't move freely then you're looking at replacement.

To me, it looks like the min pad thickness there is about 1/8". When I see my cars with 1/8" I put it on the to-do list and then do brakes at my convenience or when the weather is nice. I don't consider 1/8" to be a drop what you're doing and get it done repair, you're looking at 5-10k miles before you're on metal. But pads & rotors at the least, calipers if you encounter any issues or the rust has compromised them somehow (hard to tell from picture.)

Dang, that's quite the caliper. Don't see 4-piston calipers very often, and interesting they did not used a single sided slide design like nearly every other manufacturer uses.

I agree, get ready to do this job before winter sets in. The raybestos element are good rotors and pads have them on the caravan and bought a set from rockauto for the Civic.

Calipers might be ok, but if they are bad when you take stuff apart can you leave the van for a few days until you get the new calipers?

Definitely replace the pads and rotors and the calipers, too. Raybestsos makes all-NEW calipers, no reman.
Advics made the OE rotors, and they are available on Rock Auto. Made in the USA :)

Raybestos calipers, Advics rotors, and Akebono ASP pads

Sorry to spook you members on the west coast...... :p New Toyota OEM parts ie Rotors, Pads & shim kit, Calipers & kit, Pins from a discount Toyota parts dealer is going to run me around $485 plus shipping. Should I purchase less expensive aftermarket (re-manufactured) parts since they're going to possibly look this bad as well? NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto, & Rock Auto come to mind. I feel more comfortable with Toyota OEM since these brakes have held up well but uglier than snot and not cheap..... just thinking out loud. Thanks.

Do not buy reman anything when it comes to brakes, they are crap. The nice thing with Raybestos Elements 3 new calipers is there is no core charge so you can keep the originals and rebuild, blast and coat them or toss them its up to you. The Elements 3 have a corrosion resistant coating on them that seems to be at least as effective as OE.
I wouldn't be surprised if the bleeders on the old ones have issues when you come to loosen them.

I appreciate all the positive and helpful feedback! I've decided and already ordered through Rock Auto Raybestos Element 3 rotors, pads & calipers (not re-manufactured. Used Trav part no. shown). Cost under $300 and parts to arrive early next week. Was going to go with Toyota OEM, but if I get a good 4-6 years out of these Raybestos and saving another $300 then I did well. Will have follow up once parts arrive and vehicle test driven. Thanks guys!

I appreciate all the positive and helpful feedback! I've decided and already ordered through Rock Auto Raybestos Element 3 rotors, pads & calipers (not re-manufactured. Used Trav part no. shown). Cost under $300 and parts to arrive early next week. Was going to go with Toyota OEM, but if I get a good 4-6 years out of these Raybestos and saving another $300 then I did well. Will have follow up once parts arrive and vehicle test driven. Thanks guys!

Do a full flush of the brake fluid while your at it!

RockAuto usually has a kit as well. I just ordered rotors and pads for a 2012 Camry; I used the kit PN. Dunno if I saved anything.
Be sure to post your results... I bet you see a nice improvement.

Good choice and good luck.
Have fun with it!

Last edited:
Quick update: The right side rotor & pads/pins came out with a little help. Left side top pad pin came out fairly quickly, bottom pin didn't want to budge! Used impact driver, penetrating oil & grease plus heat to no avail. So after 30 minutes I just pulled caliper off then removed rotor. I do have brand new calipers coming so I'm not in a jam.

The rotors had no scaring but obviously rust on inside and outside leading edge (typical rust belt results for my geography location). Pads looked decent, 2-3mm left but close enough for replacement. Calipers retracted but a lot of rust on inside of pistons and rubber seals starting to show deterioration. Was hoping to salvage and possibly rebuild calipers. Can at least use them in future for a deposit if needed or give to a friend. Cleaned up areas and ready for new rotors, pads and calipers to arrive.

You members down south and out west sure are lucky you don't deal with the rust belt monster. Now you know why Toyota has had such a headache with frame rust issues and recalls. Thankfully my frame is ok after recall inspection.....

[IMG]

[IMG]

Heh, I seen this on TW as well and was like where have I seen this before? I'm honestly surprised at all the rust on there; my 2009 had been run hard and put away wet most of its life and doesn't have near the amount of corrosion on the brakes like that. Yes we do use a good bit of salt/brine in my area. But generally around here if a vehicle has over 100K and needs brakes it automatically gets calipers. I tried getting away with not replacing them on the Jeep and it backfired.

Wow...those pictures were rough looking. I have a '15 and live in a 4 season state...so we do see some salt and brine in the winter. I'm good about washing out the suspension and frame....and 3 years newer probably helps. But my component look nothing like that.

I recently replaced my pads. Went with Akebono 976s....as they came highly recommend on TW.

20200201_101658.jpg

Wow...those pictures were rough looking. I have a '15 and live in a 4 season state...so we do see some salt and brine in the winter. I'm good about washing out the suspension and frame....and 3 years newer probably helps. But my component look nothing like that.

I recently replaced my pads. Went with Akebono 976s....as they came highly recommend on TW.

View attachment 28026
I almost pulled the trigger on Akebono pads and Advics rotors before I choose the Raybestos Element 3 set up. This 2012 Tacoma was my prime mover the last 7 years until this spring I bought a new 2020 Subaru Forester. Plus in summer months I ride my touring Harley-Davidson more then anything. I guesstimated I'll probably only drive Tacoma 3 - 5K a year so why drop the coin and watch my investment sit. I'll keep a close eye on the pads and rotors and have no problems making changes if needed.

Back