11 Sonata sometimes won't start in park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure this one out myself.

11 Sonata about 65k on it. Replaced starter last year because plastic lever inside it broke.

Replaced battery last month, all terminals spotless.

Sometimes, every couple weeks, the car will fail to start while the car is in park.

If I move it to neutral, it starts right away.

Then the process will repeat itself a few weeks later one time only.

I am thinking neutral safety switch, or something in the interlock between the shifter and the key.

See below.

B0BFECFF-F840-469B-ADC4-2DFCED3652D3.png

Faulty range selector switch. I'm not certain but I don't think those transmissions are equipped with neutral safety switches they do it all with the range selector switch. That said it might just be out of adjustment slightly. On some models it can be adjusted, some models it's a fixed position.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Faulty range selector switch. I'm not certain but I don't think those transmissions are equipped with neutral safety switches they do it all with the range selector switch. That said it might just be out of adjustment slightly. On some models it can be adjusted, some models it's a fixed position.

Whatever they call it there's usually some kind of switch with a similar function.

There's a small chance it's a software issue. Nissan 4 cylinders had a Recall for that n the mid-2000's for warm non-start after stop-over although it didn't mention anything about P & N. Except when recall work was done, many people who never had non-starts suddenly started experiencing the very condition which the recall was supposed to prevent
confused.gif

With this inside information I opted not to have the re-programming Recall done. My warm non-starts in P went away a few months later after I discovered and fixed a broken Main Ground wire, not sure if that was coincidence or not, but I never had a non-start in P again except a few times when the shifter itself was not completely in the P slot.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I ordered a range switch, that's what I feel it is also. Thanks also Critic, your solution seems plausible but I did not have any codes or MIL light.

What is interesting is that I took a look at the original range switch. It has a black plastic housing, the new part from Hyundai has a metal housing.

Maybe heat issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back