'11 Silverado HD 6.0L Schaeffer 9000 5w30 5000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, i know GM engines can spit some copper, but is this something to be worried about?

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L L96
5000 on oil
22,700 mi on vehicle
Schaeffer 9000 5w30
No make up oil

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 19
Copper 112
Lead 1
Tin 1
Moly 279
Nickel 1
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 9
Silicon 15
Sodium 409
Calcium 1690
Magnesium 20
Phosphorus 683
Zinc 809
Barium 0

SUS Visc @ 210F 57.4
cST Visc @ 100C 9.48
Flashpoint 395F

Blackstone Comments:
Copper is from brass/bronze parts and was the only metal that read out of line in your Silverado's 6.0L V8. It may show wear from bushings and bearings, but it could also be some residual from the wear-in process. Copper can take some time to wash out, but things should look better in a few oil changes. Other metals were fine and close to the universal averages, which show typical wear after about 7200 mi on the oil. the viscosity was on target, no contamination was found, and low insolubles show good oil filtration. Check back for copper and to build wear trends.

On the high side, so I would do another equivalent 5k run & sample to see if it starts going down.

Did you refill with the same oil?

Originally Posted By: dmaxtech
Yes, it does. (in radiator)

That might take longer to flush out the copper reading. It may not be correct.

Yes, another fill of schaeffer 9000. I plan on resampling at another 5k. I'd like to stretch out my OCI's, but i want to see if the copper comes down first.

Yes, another fill of schaeffer 9000. I plan on resampling at another 5k. I'd like to stretch out my OCI's, but i want to see if the copper comes down first.

Good call.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Good call.

+1
Copper by itself at this level should not be alarming. We are beginning to see more and more leaching form oil coolers.

Worry no more. Every 6.0 in our fleet threw copper when new. May take 3 or 4 oil changes before it goes down, it means nothing.

We have run many of these to the ground, and they are almost always very durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back