'11 Ram Torque Converter Shutter and fluid/filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

There has been a lot of discussion on the Ram forums about issues with torque converter Shutter on some of their trucks. Mine is an '11 5.7 4x4. From time to time I've noticed that there is a little stutter or Shutter from the troque convertor. It wasn't all time, and for me at least it was less than often.

Anyway, this weekend I replaced both trans filters, trans fluid using Castrol Transmax ATF+4, along with two bottles of LubeGard Red. While I was in there I installed a drain plug on the pan so that in the future I can do some maintenance drain and fills.

My truck had 59k when I did this.

I have a little over 300 miles on it since then and so far I can say that I haven't experienced this Shutter or anything else abnormal. It is shifting at least as good, if not better than before.

I don't know if what I was experiencing before was improved simply by replacing the fluid, or if it had something to do with the LubeGard, or a combination of both.

I just wanted to post an update for anyone who may have had a similar issue to let them know the results of completing this maintenance.

While I was at it, I also replaced the rear diff fluid and power steering fluid. I'd like to do the t-case also but was trying to find to find out if there is an a/m replacement for the Mopar fluid which is spec'd for the BW44-44 Auto 4x4 transfercase. So far I haven't found anything. I can't find any real info as to what the Mopar fluid is. I guess I will have to dish out the money for the very pricey Mopar fluid.

I have a 2012 Ram 5.7l 4WD; it had 14,900 miles on it when I purchased it.

I did a pan drop and filter change on the transmission this Sept. at 33K miles. It did not shudder before I did this. I have no idea if it exhibited any shudder when new.

I used 7.5 qts. Havoline ATF+4 and ATP B-245 filter kit. I had intermittent unpredictable shudder for the next 300 miles or so, then it quit. I bought a 32 oz. bottle of Lubegard Red ready to pump out a pint from the transmission and add the Lubegard if it didn't quit. So now I'm saving the Lubegard for either if the shudder returns or the next pan drop & filter change, which will be after the 5/100 powertrain warranty expires.

It's interesting to note the Havoline ATF+4 and Catrol Transmax ATF+4 have about 10% lower Brookfield viscosity at -40°C than Pennzoil / Pennzoil Platinum / Quaker State ATF+4 - and the Pennzoil Platinum is stated to be the (current) factory fill. Also the data sheets for Pennzoil / Pennzoil Platinum / Quaker State ATF+4 shows them to be a blend of Group II+ and Group III base stocks, while Havoline, Catrol Transmax, Supertech, and Mag 1 ATF+4 show they are fully synthetic formulations.

As far as the transfer case fluid, I assume you're referring to the Borg Warner BW44-44 TC. Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Valvoline, and Pennzoil have all informed me they do not have an aftermarket fluid replacement for the Mopar BW44-44 fluid. I have found the Mopar BW44-44 fluid for about $20 / qt. with shipping on the internet, which is less expensive than the dealer (one quoted me $31 / qt. and someone else quoted $28 / qt. at my local dealership). I've decided to wait until I have about 64K miles before replacing the TC fluid and maybe there will be an aftermarket substitute available at that time (but I'm not betting on it).

I have read to about the shudder. Seems only a few vehicles are affected. Mine has run great since new. We will see in the next few months when I do a fluid exchange.

Johnny: when doing the rear diff, when you opened the fill plug was the diff overfilled? Assuming your ZF rear had the factory fill and drain plugs on the diff as mine.

Originally Posted By: BrianF

Johnny: when doing the rear diff, when you opened the fill plug was the diff overfilled? Assuming your ZF rear had the factory fill and drain plugs on the diff as mine.

Funny you mention this. I just changed the rear diff fluid on my 2011 Ram 1500 4x4, and it was overfilled. I unscrewed the fill plug and had a pleasant surprise of a good bit of oil pouring out.

What trans filters are you all using?

What drain plug kit is a good one to install in the trans pan?

When I spoke with the dealership prior to the diff change they said that my vehicle was not overfilled, rather a plug was put in place to limit the oil drainback from the pinion.

I plan on using the mopar filter kit.

I had been thinking of a drain in the trans pan but after doing a trans fluid exchange using the cooler line on my Trailblazer I found this method to be extremely easy and now wont bother with a simple drain and fill anymore. I will be using this method on the Ram.

I also saw that the Castrol had slightly slower Viscoity when cold, which to me was a good thing. Before I changed the fluids, it only did the Shudder once in a great while.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
I have read to about the shudder. Seems only a few vehicles are affected. Mine has run great since new. We will see in the next few months when I do a fluid exchange.

This is the second time I replaced the diff fluid. Honestly, I can't remember if it was overfilled from the factory. I just opened the drain plug and let it go.

I just used the filter kit from Napa with a rubber gasket that came with it , instead of RTV again. I also used the screw in filter from Napa also that looked identical to the Mopar.

The drain plug was just one of those ones that you drill a hole , slip through with this gasket and tighten it. It has a small drain plug in that one with an oring.

Johnny, thanks for all of the information. I have a 14 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 and 66rfe transmission. Currently I have 25k and no issues at all with the transmission. Up until about 15k, the transmission shifted horribly and had the 1-2 studder. I will be doing a pan drop shortly and changing the transfer case as well with the borg warner fluid. I replaced my diff fluid at 12k in both ends with Amsoil Severe Gear and will probably not touch them again until 50k or more. I tow pretty heavy and the trans fluid never goes above 172.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I've read that the BW44-44 fluid is actually DexIII, but I don't know if I trust that.

I don't. It doesn't make sense that straight mineral Dex III has a standard service of 128k miles and severe service of 64k miles in a vehicle with a 5 year / 100k miles power train warranty to me.

Last edited:
Have any of you had any issues using the non Mopar filter kit? Again unsubstantiated talk on forums leads one to think that the non oem filter kits will cause shifting issues.

b

On my 2001 Dakota with the older 4-speed version of this trans I used an aftermarket filter and it didn't fit tightly enough so the pump was sucking air causing all kinds of problems. I tired another aftermarket filter and it was better, but not 100%. A Mopar filter fixed the issue.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1462254/'01_Dakota_45RFE,_stalls_when_#Post1462254

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back