10W30. What does minimum means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I got a new car that uses Renault Clio (D4F SOHC 16V 1200cc) engine for use in the hot tropic. The manual says engine oil must fulfill minimum requirement of SAE 10W30. Does it means that I can use any of these:
0W30
5W30
10W30
10W40
And which one is best.

But not something like:
15W40
15W50?

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

[ September 23, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Tourist ]

The current Renault Clio II with the 1.2 liter, 16 valve engine will perform well with any viscosity ranging from 0W-30 to 10W-40.

In a tropical climate I would choose either the 10W-30 or 10W-40. If cost is of concern then use a name brand mineral oil and change it between 6000-9,000 Km's. Otherwise choose a name brand synthetic and follow the mfgr's drain interval. If you're on a lease, which is the case with many Renault automobiles over the past three years, then simply follow the owners manual with a program that meets Renaults requirements and costs you the least.

Thanks for the answer on oil ranging from 0W30 to 10W40.

But what about 15W40 or 15W50 oil? Is the 15W part too thick and so not suitable?

thanks again

I don't know what the technical reason is behind their decisions and recommendations but Renault does not recommend 15W-xx for this engine.

Their oil recommendations have to be applicable to any place that the vehicles are sold on the planet so maybe they shy away from the 15W-xx's to reduce the chance of some guy in Vostok, Antarctica, spinning a bearing when he starts his car on the one day that the temperature reaches a sweltering -40ºC.

I really don't have any idea why they don't recommend the 15W-xx oils.

quote:

The manual says engine oil must fulfill minimum requirement of SAE 10W30.

I agree that is a strange statement. Is this the only mention of oils? What about quality? Are the listed viscosities your words or is that what the manual says?

I agree with Foway - but not sure it answers your question - I could see the reasoning for the XW-50 - but in but in your climate I could actually argue that a 15W-40 would be a better choice than a 10W-40. ESPECIALLY if the 15W-40 were a synethetic and the 10W-40 a petroleum.

That said if that little car was mine I would stick with a good 10W-30.

Not knowing anything about Renault or this particular model, this isn't at all what I get from the initial post.

I've seen "minimum of SJ or SL" written on some owner's manuals so that they ensure you're using up-to-date oil.

Otherwise, if you're certain about it referring to the viscosity referenced minimum, then to me it's saying "use anything 10-30 and higher". ie. 10-40, 10-50, 10-60, 15-40, 15-50, etc.

You can see the minimums on this chart. Where an 0w30 may fall short is in the High Sheer Rate Viscosity at 150C, although I suspect most would meet that minimum. Where a 15w40 would fall short is in the low temperature viscosities, in which case the minimum requirements are maximums, of course that would not matter in Malaysia.

I suspect simply that something was lost in the translation of the owner's manual... and that something was a quality designation.

I would use any name brand 10w30 that meets API SL, SM, or ILSAC GF-3/GF-4 and change it according to the manual for as long as you're under warranty. After warranty expires rethink the issue.

First off, allow me to apologise for not making myself absolutely clear on this issue. Sorry. Anyway, here the exact word-for-word as written in the car owner manual.

Minimum requirement SAE 10W30 or equivalent "Service SJ" or higher.

This issue came up when I went in for 1st 1000-km service as specified and the mechanic pour in 15W50. From my very limited knowledge about engine oil, the 15W part doesn't sounded right when the manual states 10W or lower. I am not concerned about the later 50 or 30 part. Am I needlessly worried about the 15W50 oil? Or is the 15W50 actually a better oil in the hot equator?

And yes, I do understand the quality API SJ part. In fact, hard to find an SJ in this age. Most are already of the higher SL.

Service called for every 10,000-km and car company uses semi-synthetic.

Thanks

In Malaysia I believe that the number to the left of the W will never come into play. Ever.
Your low most days is probably around 75 fahrenheit, and your highs are probably around 100 fahrenheit.
You could run any SJ, SL or SM rated oil with an SAE grade ending in 30 or 40. Monogrades, 15W40, 20W40 or 25W40 would be just fine.
Enjoy!

Then, as indicated by the "SJ" recommendation - Renault didn't get the memo from API
smile.gif

Well I still say 10W-30 or as others have said a good straight weight 30. Perfect would be something like this: Amsoil ACD SAE 30/10W-30

I got the picture about 10W30 perfectly clear. It's whether 15W50 suitable or better for hot temperature that I am not 100% clear about. So is 15W50 better?

I would be more inclined to go 10w40 than 15w50. If you have an oil pressure gauge you can see how it compares to the specification for oil pressure. You may be doing fine with 30 weight.

My thought exactly. That's why I insist they replaced the "wrong" oil with the 10W30 as specified in the manual. Was hoping I did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back