10w30 outboard oil suggestions for Honda BF20 2008

I recently bought a Honda bf20 from 2008, last service is unknown so will change the oil just to be sure.

Local dealer supplies Honda OEM oil at 14,50 euros a litre. I need 1.3 litres so that would already be 29 euros on 2 litres of oil.
I will probably stick to oem honda filter (20 euros) so thats already 48 euros for an oil change. (yes i know boating is expensive:))

Does anybody have any better suggestions/experiences?
The oem Honda oil is 10w30 and the EU bottles have no FC-W marks on them.

Do note that i live in Europe and not al US brands are available here.

Does anyone know how the OEM honda oil compares to other brands? As far as i know it comes from Idemitsu. I assume Honda puts good oil in their motors but probably not the best most expensive but i might be wrong here.

Yes from germany. Its around 9 euros a litre.

Its not labeled as full synth.
How comes that you almost never see that with outboard oil.

It has been the automotive marketing trick for years.

Yes from germany. Its around 9 euros a litre.

Its not labeled as full synth.
How comes that you almost never see that with outboard oil.

It has been the automotive marketing trick for years.
Only guess I have is that the corrosion inhibitors or water emulsifiers or whatever is so special in outboard oil might be more soluble in mineral oil than other base stocks

I have always used oil certified (FC-W) as marine oil in my outboards. Here is a list:

Mostly, I used Yamalube 4M, but a few years ago I switched to ECSTAR (Suzuki) V7000. I also have 3 Suzuki outboards and am parting with my last Yamaha outboard shortly. Some folks use passenger car oil in their outboards and I think this is a mistake.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I switched to ECSTAR V7000 as it is a synthetic blend.

Mostly, I used Yamalube 4M, but a few years ago I switched to ECSTAR (Suzuki) V7000. I also have 3 Suzuki outboards and am parting with my last Yamaha outboard shortly. Some folks use passenger car oil in their outboards and I think this is a mistake.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I switched to ECSTAR V7000 as it is a synthetic blend.
Yes i have asked my local dealer for a complete maintenance kit with OEM honda 10w30 marine oil.
I agree about the part about of using automotive oil. They say it doenst have the additives to prevent moisture absorbtion. Because my outboard spends its life hanging about 10 inhches above the water i think this is is not something to forget because its not comparable like the enviroment where a car engine lives in.

What did you decide to go from Yamaha to Suzuki?

Yes i have asked my local dealer for a complete maintenance kit with OEM honda 10w30 marine oil.
I agree about the part about of using automotive oil. They say it doenst have the additives to prevent moisture absorbtion. Because my outboard spends its life hanging about 10 inhches above the water i think this is is not something to forget because its not comparable like the enviroment where a car engine lives in.

What did you decide to go from Yamaha to Suzuki?
I like the value of Suzuki over Yamaha. Suzuki is light and reliable, in my experience.

Back