$10k out of one customer this week, nice to be busy again!

it's not just you... I don't wrench, I'm in retail, but we are still having trouble getting things in. they get ordered, but don't come.
toilet paper/paper towels are still a shot in the dark. a lot of the time we'll have 1 brand filling the whole aisle. might be 50 feet of angel soft, where it should be a mix of 10-15 brands and styles.

a local appliance shop JUST got in the appliances they had ordered for BLACK FRIDAY.... last week.....

My nephew works at a nearby whirlpool Freezer plant, hired in over the summer 3rd shift, 10hr shifts, 4 days a week. ended up 12-14 hr days 6 days a week right up until Christmas. (he was a Maintenance/Utility worker. basically filled in any and every where)
he's since moved to a different part of the plant( the Foam room), now 8 hrs 5days. he's handling it much better. (First real job out of HS)
Wow that is crazy.

What do the mechanics get paid where you work?
Honestly, I have no idea what my pay scale is. It's enough for me to be comfortable with my income level.
You did all that in a day? No AC accumulator or orifice tube?
No need in my eyes, the clutch failed. Not the compressor itself. The system had a full charge, and worked perfectly after the repair. And yes, all in a day. When the work needs to get done, it gets done. It helps that the GMT900 platform is crazy easy to work on.
Are you at a dealership or an indy? I thought you were at an indy so that's a pretty high labor rate but not bad for a dealership. The ones are here are in the $90-$120 range and I see ASE mechanics on Craigslist advertise at $40-$80/hour.
I'm an Indy, and yes $129 is high however it's right in range in our area. We have no shortage of business most days.

Last edited:
Very nice!

I’m not that surprised. He might really like them, and simply found someone worth updating his rides.

When you think about it, still much cheaper than buying new. Plus, they should be good to go for a while.....

Caddys are $$$ as is their parts!!! a nice ride that you like is worth fixing, your $$$$ your choice! as for labor rates they vary a LOT depending on your area, small town little jobs lower rates, bigger town with better paying jobs = overall higher labor + of course dealers are crazy $$$. gotta account for your mechanics ability + speed as a low hourly rate can easily be padded + no one is watching!!! you need to find a trusting good independent + stick with them IMO!!

Caddys are $$$ as is their parts!!! a nice ride that you like is worth fixing, your $$$$ your choice! as for labor rates they vary a LOT depending on your area, small town little jobs lower rates, bigger town with better paying jobs = overall higher labor + of course dealers are crazy $$$. gotta account for your mechanics ability + speed as a low hourly rate can easily be padded + no one is watching!!! you need to find a trusting good independent + stick with them IMO!!
The Escalade is the same vehicle as the Tahoe/Suburban so parts are not more expensive. Parts for the AWD system and Autoride air suspension are pricey but everything else mechanically is a run of the mill Chevy.

I had a customer drop about $13,000 on an 88 Lincoln Town Car just a few years ago. Came in with a laundry list of things to check. When we got all the estimates done he approved it all. He came in paid that bill and said to just keep it another week because he wanted a new set of Michelin tires, an alignment and all the fluids flushed out.

I can only imagine what he does for a living if he paid cash. Probably not a customer you want to P.O.
Plus, paying in cash to keep an older vehicle running doesn't get nearly enough attention of certain people like paying cash for a brand new vehicle does.

I hope the 2003 DTS wasn't built like the 2008 that I had. If so, you might be low on the estimate. Half the front end had to come off of the 2008 to even get to the radiator!

Reactions: JC1
No offense and I am truly happy for you, but the shop you work out of is way way overpriced. Just a good thing you do good work!

No offense and I am truly happy for you, but the shop you work out of is way way overpriced. Just a good thing you do good work!
Maybe by rural area standards, but those prices look average if not low.

Most independents around here use a parts mark-up structure like this one and charge $120-$180/hr. Certain maintenance items are menu-priced though.

Attachments

• 1611941786548.jpeg
    1611941786548.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 40
Nice never have been that lucky lol. Where I used to work we would recommend things then the customer states “oh my son is a mechanic he can do it cheaper” 😂😂 then we ask well why did you bring your car in today then if he can do it and their response usually was something like oh he is busy right now LOL. The place I am at now we have had a extremely hard time getting parts especially the last month or so that I have been there. I’ve talked to the owners of some other shops they have said the same thing don’t know if it’s just my area or what.
As the mechanics on Bitog have said that the repair business is up for the past year. Let's face it not everyone is comfortable buying a new vehicle and financing it when they may not have a stable job. I've only bought some parts off Rockauto recently and I haven't had delays. I'm sure the supply chains have bottlenecks and delays in shipments across the board.

Most independents around here use a parts mark-up structure like this one and charge $120-$180/hr. Certain maintenance items are menu-priced though.

I understand that and you are correct. I guess I need to raise my shop rates. I also only markup parts by 10-15%. This formula and excellent work reputation has my shop with a waiting list for customers to get in. My shop rate is $80/hr and we don't go by book hours - charge actual hours.

Labor rates in Minnesota are quite a bit different than most parts of California though. I hope he paid cash up front for the parts at least. I’d hate to do that job that likely exceeds the value of the vehicle and not get paid after completion.

Labor rates in Minnesota are quite a bit different than most parts of California though. I hope he paid cash up front for the parts at least. I’d hate to do that job that likely exceeds the value of the vehicle and not get paid after completion.
Agree on the deposit, but I don’t think the labor rates are exclusive to CA at all. I’m in a few professional tech groups and the labor rates being reported countrywide are in the range I described. I think there is a significant difference between the stereotypical old-school 2-bay independent shop and the 10-15 bay independent shops that are trying to match dealerships in expertise and amenities.

Back