10K OCI, mazda 3, 0-w20

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on which oil to run in my 2019 mazda 3. It's a 4-cylinder with skyactiv-g. The recommended oil is 0w-20. The owners manual suggests Castrol oil and ILSAC. The OCI is 10K miles or 12 months, unless during severe driving use (which is 5K miles or 6 months). I mainly use the car on the highway and I'll put on well more than 10K miles on it each year. I'm looking for suggestions on a decent oil that I can get locally that will likely protect up to 10K miles and is 0w-20. I would like to go to 10K miles, if possible. Will all of the main brands (valvoline, mobil 1, pennzoil, castrol, etc.) protect the same, or should I be looking at specific brand/model of their synthetic oil?

go at a toyota dealer and ask for TGMO 0w20. i always did that when i had my 2016 mazda 6. i told them i had a mazda and nobody was mad. they all found this funny.

I would use Mobil 1 EP 0w-20; if we take the mfg recommendations, it should be more robust than regular mobil 1 0w-20. It is only a few dollars more for a 5qt jug than regular mobil 1 @ wally world.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...ucts/mobil-1-extended-performance-0w-20/

EDIT: for those following the AP/EP drama, this is on the EP PDS

• Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.

Last edited:
You can use any major brand of 0w20 in that Mazda. I have.

As for the OCI interval, I'd consider every 7500 miles. That motor might have the cylinder deactivation. If so then I would go 7500 with mostly highway driving.

Originally Posted by Bill_W
I put TGMO 0w-20 in my 2019 Miata. Lots of moly, high VI numbers.

This. TGMO is made by ExxonMobil and is basically Mobil1 with more Moly.

I had a 2016 scion ia which has the Mazda sky-activ engine.. Ran every 0w20 under the sun.. No issues.

I was happy and still am using NAPA synthetic 0w20 "valvoline"

NAPA SYNTHETIC 0W20

keep an eye out they may run a 4th July sale at $17 or 18.99 / 5QT jug.

Keep in mind, and I may be incorrect here but, every 0W20 is made very well and I think they have to be. There are those 0W20s that have more into themselves for harder use such as some of the truck 0W20s or as mentioned, Toyota 0W20???...depending not on what you drive but, how you drive!

And then there are the REAL Synthetic oils that are beyond the normal Group III syn, such as PAO/Group IV or Ester/Group V or mixes of them. But, just about every 0W20 is built well enough beyond even a synthetic 5W20 or syn 5W30 that, for the everydayness of vehicle use, you can't go wrong with any of the 0W20s.

Did I say that right
smirk.gif
?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Keep in mind, and I may be incorrect here but, every 0W20 is made very well and I think they have to be. There are those 0W20s that have more into themselves for harder use such as some of the truck 0W20s or as mentioned, Toyota 0W20???...depending not on what you drive but, how you drive!

As soon as our nearest Toyota dealership parts counter has SP / GF6 TGMO full-syn 5w30, I'll buy a quart and have a Virgin Analysis done. The 0w20 version has been a powerhouse oil for years now and I'd switch to the TGMO full-syn 5w30, if I found out it's overpacked with Moly also.

Heck, Dave might even sell-off his 1,849 quarts stash to get this also...... right Dave?....lol

Last edited:
Check the Promotions forum and see if you have any M1 AP 0W-20 in your area via Brickseek. $17 at Walmarts on clearance...

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I would use Mobil 1 EP 0w-20; if we take the mfg recommendations, it should be more robust than regular mobil 1 0w-20. It is only a few dollars more for a 5qt jug than regular mobil 1 @ wally world.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...ucts/mobil-1-extended-performance-0w-20/

EDIT: for those following the AP/EP drama, this is on the EP PDS

• Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.

*Son's Mazda CX-3 gets M1 0W20 EP with a Fram Ultra oil filter for 10K mile OCI's and does fine .

What would the realistic difference be between Mobil 1 AP, EP, and TGMO? I hear the TGMO has more moly, but that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Last edited:
I have the 2.0 skyactiv-g on the 2019 miata. If you want to stick with 0w-20, go with M1 EP 0w-20. This will easily go 10k if not longer, has a great base oil, and no oil consumption. Its also readily available at Walmart for around 25 for a 5qt jug. My second choice would be Mobil 1 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy, for around 22 at Walmart.

Heard good things about TMGO, but I cant justify paying botique oil prices for it. M1 EP 0w-20 is probably Mobil's highest quality product, aside from M1 ESP.

My next oil change I will run M1 5w30 ESP from the napa sale.

TGMO 0w20 is not expensive. not in my area anyways. it is even less expensive than when canadian tire has rebate on M1 EP 0w20. and the jug is 5L. not the retarded 4.73L jug. funny that mobil has a 5L jug for toyota but still has retarded 4.73L jugs for the rest of their product in canada.

Originally Posted by tomcruise
We've been running Rotella Gas Truck in our 2017 Mazda 6. It doesn't seem to care.

it is very good oil. i run the 5w30 variety in my 2019 mazda cx-5 GT 2.5T. i changed the oil this afternoon.

Back