105k Timing Belt Interval-Reasonsable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of your replies. The engine is a 30 valve, 2.8 v6.

Bruno, your note seems to explain why the dealer say one thing, the independent shop another. Do you know if VW's new recommendation is on the web somewhere?

If you lift the hood you will see a sticker on the top of the grill.It tells you when to change the belt in KM that is from the factory in Germany.

On a Honda or Toyota, I would follow the OEM recommendation.

On a VW, change it every 60-80k. VW's track record for timing belts is not very good at all.

You should purchase a complete timing belt kit (or make sure your mechanic does). The timing belt isn't what fails, it's the tensioner or one of the other components.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-V6_30v/Engine/Timing/Timing_Belt_Kit/ES2015/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-V6_30v/Engine/Timing/Timing_Belt_Kit/ES6198/

Personally, I would purchase the kit in the second link as it is more complete.

The Critic,

Thanks for the links. Those look like good kits!

Originally Posted By: ET16
One last question: is this an interference engine?

Yes it is. I would have the timing belt service performed ASAP. A '99 on its original timing belt is running on serious borrowed time.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Water pump, belt tensioner, idle roller, and thermostat are part of the proper timing belt replacement procedure on a VW. The belt does not have to break in order to make the piston kiss the valves. That will happen if the belt just skips a few teeth, for example when the WP or the tensioner go bad.

There may be a few single-use bolts which should also be replaced. I'd also ask if any of the roller-idlers ever cause a problem -- but not at the VW dealership, the OP might want to skip the dealership and go directly to the independent VW shop.

I would replace everything now and not wait for trouble to pop up. The newer timing belts are Kevlar, but back in 1999 they were not.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I changed out my Subaru TB at ~110,000 miles and it looked like new at 7 years. I'd just follow the owners manual as to when to change. Sometimes dealers have a different agenda and will try to get one to change for all sorts of reasons to make money.
Is Subaru still using belts, or have they switched to chains?

The time is a factor along with the miles and in your case the miles are so close and being 10 years Phew. I would definitely do it for piece on mind and especially if an interference engine I had one replaced at 8 years old but only 25,000 miles on it, it could have waited but because it is an interference engine I could not take a chance.

Definitely change the belt, tensioner, & water pump. With an interference engine it's much better to be safe than sorry. A few hundred buck to change everything now or MUCH MUCH more to replace the engine when the belt possibly goes out at 104k.

I'll start to shop around for prices. I need to make sure I get a water pump with a metal impeller, right?

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Definitely change the belt, tensioner, & water pump. With an interference engine it's much better to be safe than sorry. A few hundred buck to change everything now or MUCH MUCH more to replace the engine when the belt possibly goes out at 104k.

Exactly right. The odds it will break are probably pretty low. But it is cheap insurance. I'm sure there are millions of cars on the road right now with timing belts that are well beyond their service limit, and will continue to run until they are scrapped. But why risk it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back