10 year old iPad and access to YouTube

It’s not over. My wife has the same issue. First, delete the YouTube app from the iPad. They go to the App Store and download it again. There will be a warning that says this version will not work and do you want to download a earlier version. Say yes to that and you are fixed.

It’s not over. My wife has the same issue. First, delete the YouTube app from the iPad. They go to the App Store and download it again. There will be a warning that says this version will not work and do you want to download a earlier version. Say yes to that and you are fixed.
Or use the web browser to access instead of the app?

Thanks, but no luck. It did not give me an option to download an earlier version.

Gee I have the original iPAD (wife's in mint condition) . I haven't tried web brosing on it in years., Maybe Il give it a shot later if there is some battery left in her.

I use Safari to get there, never had an "APP" for YT until my new free Samsung with Android 11 OS.

Last edited:
Google Chrome is now telling me they are done with me and my Windows 7 computer. So I Loaded Firefox browser and that should work till the Fall then the fox leaves the hen house too.
Need my browser workingthe next couple months to get my Social Security and Medicare all signed up right.

Give this a try.

“On the old iPad, find the app in the Purchased page on your App Store account. In this example we’ll use the iTunes Remote app. When you re-download an app from here, developers often give you the option to download an older, compatible version of it. Go to the App Store on the old iPad. Look for Purchased on the bottom of the screen. Tap it to bring up a list of the apps you’ve purchased. On older iPads it may take several minutes for the Purchased screen to populate with your apps. So be patient. Wait until the complete list of your previously purchased apps is displayed, icons and all.”

“Find the app in your Purchased list that you want to install on the legacy iPad. You’ll see a cloud icon (download) next to it. Tap the icon. You’ll get the a pop-up alert telling you to download a compatible version. This may take a minute to two. Tap Download. Then wait (and smile) as a compatible version of the app is installed on that old iPad.”

Thanks, but no luck. It did not give me an option to download an earlier version.
It has been a *while* since I've had my grubby little hands in an Apple iThingy of any sort; but I recall having to do excatly this a few times with my kids' older iPads. In the App Store - **if I recall correctly** (**IF**) - I had to somehow navigate to "My Purchases" (or somethng to that effect). That page listed all of the apps I'd ever downloaded. From that page I could select an app that I knew was too new for the iPad I was using; but sure enough, I was prompted to download the last version of the app that will work on this device.

With that said, some older versions of apps may use echnologies that the developers have discontinued.

EDIT: @PimTac , I have just realized, posted this exact information a couple of posts above mine; but much better.

It has been a *while* since I've had my grubby little hands in an Apple iThingy of any sort; but I recall having to do excatly this a few times with my kids' older iPads. In the App Store - **if I recall correctly** (**IF**) - I had to somehow navigate to "My Purchases" (or somethng to that effect). That page listed all of the apps I'd ever downloaded. From that page I could select an app that I knew was too new for the iPad I was using; but sure enough, I was prompted to download the last version of the app that will work on this device.

With that said, some older versions of apps may use echnologies that the developers have discontinued.

EDIT: @PimTac , I have just realized, posted this exact information a couple of posts above mine; but much better.

Mine was just a copy/paste from a site I searched for.

My wife has the original iPad mini. It still works great even though the battery is going and it has been handled by many and traveled all over the world. At some point soon a new iPad will be needed.

No luck. I can't load videos. It wants me to load the app but when I try, it says it wants IOS 14.0 or above.
Can you ignore and not load the app? Could be that the browser is too old and doesn't support the correct things too. Might be time to upgrade. A 10 year old iPad is pretty slow compared to newer stuff.

Google Chrome is now telling me they are done with me and my Windows 7 computer. So I Loaded Firefox browser and that should work till the Fall then the fox leaves the hen house too.
Need my browser workingthe next couple months to get my Social Security and Medicare all signed up right.
Huh? I have a win7SP1+ box, has no problem accessing youtube or anything else with the last (final?) version of Chrome it updated to. 109.0.5414.120 x64. That does not mean I recommend Chrome, quite the opposite in that I find it intrusive that it wants to force upon me, the ChromeCleaner security scans, even when Chrome is not running, even after a game of wack-a-mole doing all the things necessary to permanently disable Chrome from doing that, all the while it kept trying to hide the files it was using, kind of like malware.

Then again, same box also has a revent vintage Firefox 109 and I've no reason to expect it will stop working on *most* websites for years to come. It too, works fine on youtube. Heck, I sometimes do QA for websites and even have an old v54 of firefox for testing, and even it can do youtube, though adblockers for that older architecture are no longer being updated so it doesn't block those infernal solar panel ads that youtube likes to pimp. The prior two browsers with modern add-ons, have no problem blocking that.

Back