10 Worst PC's of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
HHHHHAHAHAH Packard Bell.

I remember in Middle School, all the kids showed of their more powerful PC's; majority of them had Packard Bell. Every week I keep on hearing one by one on their computer problems. I never said a word about my computer because it was so well built. Why? Because I built it myself.

LOL Wow... I remember Packard Bell... I used to be a tech at Best Buy and I think thats all that I worked on. The majority of them had problems with HDDs and Motherboards!!

E-Machines are the new Packard Bells!

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
LOL Wow... I remember Packard Bell... I used to be a tech at Best Buy and I think thats all that I worked on. The majority of them had problems with HDDs and Motherboards!!

E-Machines are the new Packard Bells!

I bought an eMachine in 2002 and it had a failed hard drive the first year and a failed motherboard in year 3. At that point I replaced the computer with a custom build made of high-quality parts. That one has been going for about 4 years with no failures except an enermax power supply that died.

About 3 years ago I saw a sale at my local computer shop on motherboards ($30) and they gave me a week's worth of full refund - in case I couldn't make it work. Motherboard replacement was the most intense computer surgery I'd performed to day. Anyhow, with the new motherboard successfully installed and the warranty'd hard drive in that eMachine, it has been running ever since in my garage for iTunes and internet duty. It's amazingly handy to have a computer in the garage when you need that engine spec or procedure/tip/trick to solve the automotive problem you happen to have. With google, the answer's usually 0.0032 seconds away!

My first pc in 1993 was an IBM PS/1 486/DX2 66mhz. It never gave me any trouble that I can recall, and it was still working 5 years later when I bought it's replacement. My employer at the time had bought one, and had installed some flavor of Unix and was running his business on it...which was my main reason for choosing that model. I do remember that I paid about $2400 for it. It's easy now to regret spending that much but I learned a lot in that 5 years which has served me well.

My grandfather has an eMachines from 1999 or so that ran 6 years for him before the hard drive died. I was surprised he got that long of a life out of it. It was originally $599 which was VERY cheap for a computer back then.

my IBM aptiva that I bought in 1996 still worked as of 2008 before I donated it. I can't imagine spending $2k like I did, but it's was my first computer that I needed for college back then.

I was surprised to discover today that Packard-Bell = Emachines = Gateway = Acer, as part or Acer Group worldwide. To that end, I've had good results from the two Gateway desktops I've owned, and still no kickups from the two Acer netbooks I've had for the past couple of weeks.

In 2006 I bought an Emachine...it toasted 2 motherboards in two years. The Gateway that replaced it nearly 2 years ago has been great. So has my GW labtop.

Strange...

I have a Vic 20 that still works just fine. Plus I have a lot of Basic programming books as well as books on the old Vic!

It's all packed in the original box.

I also have an old machine with Windows 3.1 on it....what a stable OS!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
In 2006 I bought an Emachine...it toasted 2 motherboards in two years. The Gateway that replaced it nearly 2 years ago has been great. So has my GW labtop.

Strange...

More than likely it was a result of the junky power supplies that they had.

How about the original IBM PC? Cost more and did less than an Apple IIe. Not even as powerful as a RS Color Computer.

My parents had a packard bell 386. I spent many days in GWBASIC on that box. It held up very well, actually, and ran for more than ten years if I recall and went through several owners. We still had it's keyboard laying around for another few until its guts finally gave out. The only time we had to open it was to put a bit of ram and a modem in it.

EDIT:

How are you going to talk trash about the TI/99 and VIC-20? I can see the others, even the PB because I knew a few people who had bad luck with them... I don't know, though, the TI/99 was a classy machine and so was the VIC despite what the haters might say. How are they going to talk trash about an early 80s home box not having a lowercase character set? That's bunk.

And I still keep a Tandy Color Computer in my office closet just in case I get the urge to go back to the age of green on green text.

Many Dells, HPs, and eMachines from about 2002-2005 were made with inferior chinese capacitors that dome up at the top and leak. We're just now getting around to replacing the last 5,000 of them at work over the next two months. I can replace the motherboard on a GX240-280 blindfolded and asleep with one hand behind my back. The capacitors would also cause unclean power to be sent to the ram which would cause the ram to be toasted. Dell sent us multiple shipments of cases of ram and motherboards for free after our warranty period ended due to the epidemic nature of the failures.

Neat article,but...

I bought my Emachine w3118 with XP Home about 5-years ago now,and haven't had any problem whatsoever
21.gif
Bought it @ Walmart for 325 including tax.

but with that said,I'm goin to be upgrading to a new pc this spring /summer and having a custom built gaming computer once again.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Many Dells, HPs, and eMachines from about 2002-2005 were made with inferior chinese capacitors that dome up at the top and leak. We're just now getting around to replacing the last 5,000 of them at work over the next two months. I can replace the motherboard on a GX240-280 blindfolded and asleep with one hand behind my back. The capacitors would also cause unclean power to be sent to the ram which would cause the ram to be toasted. Dell sent us multiple shipments of cases of ram and motherboards for free after our warranty period ended due to the epidemic nature of the failures.

+1 These old clunkers were such a waste. GX620's deserve to be in this same category as the P/S and M/B's pop like JiffyPop popcorn.

To two IBM PS/1's equal one PS/2? :)

I owned the mono-VGA version of this machine. It was a good workhorse. Played many nights of Castle Wolfenstein, and ran Win3.1.
ps1.jpg

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

+1 These old clunkers were such a waste. GX620's deserve to be in this same category as the P/S and M/B's pop like JiffyPop popcorn.

Yeah, we have a couple thousand of those and we're starting to see an increasing trend in motherboard issues. I don't know if they shipped yours with the same keyboards they shipped ours with, but I'd never heard of so many bad keyboards. We probably had a hundred or so go out in the first year.

Most of our buildings are on some pretty clean regulated power, so even in those machines where PSUs are known to be an issue we don't have too much trouble. I've probably seen less than 50 replacements of GX620 PSUs and that doesn't seem like anything more than what I would expect in a population of that size.

Yup the ABIT VA6 (IIRC) had those caps. They failed at a rate that could only be described as epidemic.

Remember the 40GB Fujitsu hard drives? Those puppies dropped like FLIES. Just before Fujitsu stopped making desktop IDE drives.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back