1 year old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today our 2005 Toyota Corolla is one year old!

I'm impressed to say the least. Never been to the dealership for any work.

The car still feels tight as the day we drove it off the lot.

The mileage on the odo today is 26,780 miles. Overall MPG to date is 41.89. Worst was 37.23 and the best 45.76.
fruit.gif

Turns 2800 rpm at 70 mph where I normally drive it. (5 speed)

I've changed the oil (a few times
grin.gif
) and had the worst useage with Mobil 1. Best oil seems to be Castrol Full Syntec SL... Not a drop used and it's still clear @ 4k miles. I've used many diff oil filters with no problems. All cut open and look great.

The only useage of oil was the Mobil 1 and Castrol Blend for one run. Total useage for 26k is a little less than 2 quarts I'd say.

The Transmission oil did get changed out a little too late (after 20k) and it's was UGLY. I can not see how people and Toyota go 100k plus on the orginal oil!
nono.gif

I'd say the negative points of the car is it seems to find every rock on I-15 in the Salt Lake Valley... Paint chips on the front all over.
mad.gif

Also I'd have to say if it was a dark color car, the A/C would be on high settings alot.

Tires look like 90k before replacement. Brakes well over 150k. (just had it safety inspected for plates and the brakes had no wear!)

A very simple easy to work on car for well under $15k.
grin.gif

Love crank up windows! (after replacing my Fords a few times...)

Hope to keep it going as long as I can! I regret selling my 1986 VW jetta to my Sister in law as it only had 185k miles and just turned 250k with nothing but Timing Belts, brakes, tires and Oil changes. It's body is showing a little rust on the areas where it's had door dings but other than that body is still good. I'd bet it would have make it to 500k with me still driving it.. (sis in law is not the best stick driver...)
spaz.gif

It's a fun car to drive and knowing that it's getting over 40mpg really is nice.

My other car is a 2000k Chev 4x4 truck and it gets good MPG for it's size, but we just don't drive it that much (it's 6 years old with 40k on it) and take the Toyota most of the time. (Fill up on it is almost $70!) I still drive it to work (120 miles RT) a few times a month to warm it up and keep it in good shape. May be selling it for another Wagon for the wife soon..
frown.gif

Thanks for reading my rambling...
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill

There's a clear tape (saw it on here) to protect your "rock zone" on your hood...

congrats, they are nice cars.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
There's a clear tape (saw it on here) to protect your "rock zone" on your hood...

congrats, they are nice cars.

Yeah, it's the 3m tape stuff and I wished I did it before all the damage.

Right now, I'll prob go with a bra to cover up most of the damage. To get the front fixed now would prob cost $500 plus...
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the replies! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

congratulations! the ones who complain about toyota corolla about being an appliance. so what! it's nice to see a vehicle with no mechanical problems and the great MPG!

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:

Right now, I'll prob go with a bra to cover up most of the damage. To get the front fixed now would prob cost $500 plus...
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the replies! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

You probably already know that bras are rough on the paint. You sound like a person who could benefit from one tho. Sounds like good way to put off apaint job in your case.

If you have expensive to replace headlight lenses, consider clear stick on covers for them

depending on what color it is, you can do a leading edge tape in a different color to basically cover it up and also add some look. but again, depends on what your color is. but a black tape would be universal just would have to be done correctly and in a way that looked like it belonged. maybe some edges would need rounded or similar but its do-able in a way that would look great.
44H

Congrats on the Corolla, Bill. My wife's is now 3 years old, 35,000 miles and never been to the dealer either. Super reliable car.

quote:

Originally posted by pa04prius:
Congrats on the Corolla, Bill. My wife's is now 3 years old, 35,000 miles and never been to the dealer either. Super reliable car.

Good to hear!

Is yours an automatic or 5 speed?

What oil and fitler have you been using and any UOAs?

Just wondering..
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Wish my car would only have 35k when it's 3 years old...
rolleyes.gif

[ October 01, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Bill in Utah ]

I'm a Mobil 1 fan. I've used 5w-30 at 5000 mi. OCI and nothing but Toyota filters. Also LC and FP60. Her's is an automatic and the mileage isn't fantastic - 30-32 in 50/50 mixed driving and my wife has a bit of a lead foot. We plan to get the coolant flushed and replaced and the tranny fluid replaced next month. We have a very good independent Toyota mechanic here and I know he will do a good job.

quote:

Originally posted by pa04prius:
I'm a Mobil 1 fan. I've used 5w-30 at 5000 mi. OCI and nothing but Toyota filters. Also LC and FP60. Her's is an automatic and the mileage isn't fantastic - 30-32 in 50/50 mixed driving and my wife has a bit of a lead foot. We plan to get the coolant flushed and replaced and the tranny fluid replaced next month. We have a very good independent Toyota mechanic here and I know he will do a good job.

Having someone you can trust is sooo important!

I'd have to say that of the oils I've used so far Mobil 1 was the one I was most disapointed in. When you add in that it was $4 a quart really bad feelings.

But there are many like you who get great results. In mine, I'll never run it again...
dunno.gif

My wife drives the car about 100 miles a week or so and she drives alot harder and I'd bet if she drove it all the time, the MPG would be well below 40 mpg. I've tried to "help" her drive more easy... (Bad idea!)
nono.gif
banghead.gif
twak.gif

(I think you get the idea!)
grin.gif

Thanks for the reply! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

You probably already know that bras are rough on the paint. You sound like a person who could benefit from one tho. Sounds like good way to put off apaint job in your case.

If you have expensive to replace headlight lenses, consider clear stick on covers for them

I'd guess if I kept the car clean it would do less damage on the paint..

Wonder how they do when it's wet (like driving in the snow?)

Maybe the best thing is just to touch up the front end and get the 3m tape put on... Would not look any worst than now.

I can get the precut 3m stuff for the hood, tip of the fenders and headlamps for $139.

The Bumper kit is $259 to $329 but it's all plastic and even with the rock hits, they are all white and will never rust.

Don't know... A bra is under $100 and would cover it all.. But I think the winter time may be a bad time with bras.
dunno.gif

Thanks, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back