1 Quart Oil Storage

I have two trucks that take 6 quarts so I buy five 5qt jugs. 5x5= 30qt 30qt/6qt = 5 nice even oil changes. I used to dump in just 5 quarts but they both burn a bit and I switched oil that can do 10k oci so fill to 6qts now. If I'm going on a long road trip I'll dump an extra quart in just to not have to give a crap. I hardly check the level I just dump an extra quart in and go.
My 8 quart engine is where it gets a bit out of whack … wish they had gallons in common Dexos lubes

To JavierH19: 5x5= 30qt.? That's the new "new math"?
To 4WD: The industry ridding itself of gallon oil jugs was when I got my biggest oil clearance savings.
No worries … I just keep and refill a few quart bottles … then have jugs for recycling

My motor requires 6 quarts of oil an my dilemma is that the 5 quart jug will be on sale but that extra quart never is so I pay full price for it an there goes my savings. I could by two 5 quart jugs an store the other jug that has 4 quarts left but I don’t like to do that since I’ve unsealed the jug. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a 1 quart container that seals really well to store unused oil from a 5 quart jug
any Canners in your family?
get some quart mason jars, and lids. fill 'em up, and process them. (IE: put the jars in a big pot and oil the dickens out of them)
plenty of canning resources on the web if you'r interested in this route. plus it's a handy life skill to have, esp if you have any sort of luck with gardening.

Dilemma ? Put the cap back on tighten it and the container is sealed, dilemma solved. Your engine isn't sealed ,have you heard of crank case ventilation?

*cough* *cough* Like almost every O'Reilly sale?

Right now they have their M1EP - $30.95 for 5 [or more] quarts. 1 quart bottles are the same price as 5 quart jugs. $6.19/qt. So let's assume your tax rate is 9%. $30.95 + 9% = $33.74. Now do O'Reilly's $10 rebate and Mobil's $15 rebate, and you're at $8.74 for 5 quarts of EP! No limit on O'Reilly's $10 rebate, limit 2 rebates ($30) per household on Mobil's $15 rebate.

Pro tip: I have 28 sets of rebates (140 quarts, $700) pending for both companies and counting. Pay cash and don't give your O'Rewards/phone number. Call them later on to add your receipt because "you forgot to give your number). O'Reilly just wants the original receipts and form mailed in, so I'll wait until I'm done buying to send them all off with one stamp. Mobil is all digital, and only wants a name, email, and address. I have plenty of unique emails, plenty of VPN IP addresses (just in case Mobil gets curious), and plenty of friends & family addresses. Basically, limits are for peasants.
napa has mobil 1 ep for 29.99, add in text notice , 20 off of 50 , that will make 2 jugs for 40 , then mobil rebate of 15 per jug , which is 30 off of that, use your 6 qts and give the remaining 4 leftover away , your still money ahead

napa has mobil 1 ep for 29.99, add in text notice , 20 off of 50 , that will make 2 jugs for 40 , then mobil rebate of 15 per jug , which is 30 off of that, use your 6 qts and give the remaining 4 leftover away , your still money ahead
6 quarts? Oh, you mean the OP. I want like 600. Your method is great, and technically cheaper, but only good for 10 quarts without a headache on NAPA's side.

Is this what we are worrying about now days?
Oil being left in a sealed container (a cap does seal the oil jug for all intensive purposes) for a few months to a year in the garage.
Why are you making it more complicated than it needs to be? No need to buy special 1 qt containers to pour the oil into.
Just put the cap on the jug with 4 qts left in it till next use. Putting the cap on will seal it up enough for oil.

I do it all the time. My truck takes 8 quarts, I buy 2 5 quart jugs and save the extra 2 quarts. I’ll use them in my daughters Sentra or the next time my truck needs a change.

At least with the Mobil1 sale at O'Reilly, the 6th quart rings up at a price of (5qt jug divided by 5) so you do get the discount on the 6th quart.

My motor requires 6 quarts of oil an my dilemma is that the 5 quart jug will be on sale but that extra quart never is so I pay full price for it an there goes my savings. I could by two 5 quart jugs an store the other jug that has 4 quarts left but I don’t like to do that since I’ve unsealed the jug. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a 1 quart container that seals really well to store unused oil from a 5 quart jug
Maybe try the 6qt havoline box?

About pouring the leftover quart into a smaller bottle... I would argue that the 1-quart bottles and the 5-quart jugs seal up equally well. Yes there is more air in the jug but that's not going to cause oxidation of the new oil. Like Silver says above, an open jug seals up well enough that there should not be any issue keeping 1 quart for the next change, assuming reasonable service intervals. Most oil producers say the shelf life of their oils is at least 2 years in reasonable storage conditions (out of direct sunlight, no excess humidity and no radical temperature swings).

About pouring the leftover quart into a smaller bottle... I would argue that the 1-quart bottles and the 5-quart jugs seal up equally well. Yes there is more air in the jug but that's not going to cause oxidation of the new oil. Like Silver says above, an open jug seals up well enough that there should not be any issue keeping 1 quart for the next change, assuming reasonable service intervals. Most oil producers say the shelf life of their oils is at least 2 years in reasonable storage conditions (out of direct sunlight, no excess humidity and no radical temperature swings).
Synthetic oil really doesn't oxidize that easily, even at the extreme temperatures found inside a hot engine, it will be fine at 72°F for probably years.

I buy the 5 qt jugs. Pour what's left of the the open one into the engine first, then top off with the new one. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Open oil never sits around long using this method.

Back