1 Quart Oil Storage

My motor requires 6 quarts of oil an my dilemma is that the 5 quart jug will be on sale but that extra quart never is so I pay full price for it an there goes my savings. I could by two 5 quart jugs an store the other jug that has 4 quarts left but I don’t like to do that since I’ve unsealed the jug. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a 1 quart container that seals really well to store unused oil from a 5 quart jug

Well one thing you could do is to use old 1 quart oil containers and reuse them by filling them with what is left over from a 2nd 5 quart container. Then you won't have to worry about purchasing a 1 quart container of oil for the next 4 oil changes. Also, watch for oil sales where you can purchase either one 5 quart container of oil or five one quart containers of oil for the same price.

Also, watch for oil sales where you can purchase either one 5 quart container of oil or five one quart containers of oil for the same price.
*cough* *cough* Like almost every O'Reilly sale?

Right now they have their M1EP - $30.95 for 5 [or more] quarts. 1 quart bottles are the same price as 5 quart jugs. $6.19/qt. So let's assume your tax rate is 9%. $30.95 + 9% = $33.74. Now do O'Reilly's $10 rebate and Mobil's $15 rebate, and you're at $8.74 for 5 quarts of EP! No limit on O'Reilly's $10 rebate, limit 2 rebates ($30) per household on Mobil's $15 rebate.

Pro tip: I have 28 sets of rebates (140 quarts, $700) pending for both companies and counting. Pay cash and don't give your O'Rewards/phone number. Call them later on to add your receipt because "you forgot to give your number). O'Reilly just wants the original receipts and form mailed in, so I'll wait until I'm done buying to send them all off with one stamp. Mobil is all digital, and only wants a name, email, and address. I have plenty of unique emails, plenty of VPN IP addresses (just in case Mobil gets curious), and plenty of friends & family addresses. Basically, limits are for peasants.

I now only buy the 5 qt jug unless there is a really good oil score(sale/closeout/discontinued) on quarts that I can't pass up. I would just buy the extra 5 qt container for your Mom's vehicle and use the leftover one for adding that additional quart for each OCI &/or makeup oil(e.g., if the engine uses oil).

havoline.jpg

My motor requires 6 quarts of oil an my dilemma is that the 5 quart jug will be on sale but that extra quart never is so I pay full price for it an there goes my savings. I could by two 5 quart jugs an store the other jug that has 4 quarts left but I don’t like to do that since I’ve unsealed the jug. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a 1 quart container that seals really well to store unused oil from a 5 quart jug
Deals are better on 5QT. jugs. Buy two 5 qt. jugs and save the four quarts towards your next change, unless you plan to never change oil again. 4 quarts sealed in the jug will last atleast ten years if not more.

If you have a sams club or costco membership or know someone that does they sell Mobil 1 in 6 quart boxes. Six individual quarts that is. Normally $37.99 but its regularly on sale for $27.99.

If you have a sams club or costco membership or know someone that does they sell Mobil 1 in 6 quart boxes. Six individual quarts that is. Normally $37.99 but its regularly on sale for $27.99.
one of the things I miss from dropping Costco … but just was not going there much
(45 miles for one thing)

How long is the "unsealed" container going to be left unused? I'm wondering if it's really costing that much, per year, to buy in quart size bottles, if the fear is about "unsealed" motor oil going bad.

IMO, just buy in 5 quart containers. It's ok to sit for a bit, "unsealed". It sees far worse conditions in the sump.

What Atex7239 said. Or just cough up the extra $3 or $4 for the extra qt. Its not really a cost concern with gas prices at 3 dollars a gallon and that gas will be gone in a hour. The oil may be in your engine for months - maybe a half year or more. So an extra 50 cents a month loss in lube maintenance costs to drive your car - That is a wallet buster? Not really.

Drink the coffee at work or home rather than paying for the McD's or Dunkin or Starbucks. There is a savings!

Now I am REALLY a pennypincher and I hate to spend extra for that quart too. but I just shed a tear and begrudgingly do it.

My motor requires 6 quarts of oil an my dilemma is that the 5 quart jug will be on sale but that extra quart never is so I pay full price for it an there goes my savings

Seems like if the price of 1 quart negates the sale price of the jug it wasn't much of a sale. Buying 2 jugs gets you the sale price but ties up more money until the next OC, then again, etc, and it sounds like you don't buy and stash. If you invest in 2 jugs now it will take 4 more oil changes to be back to zero oil stored. And you only buy 1 jug per OC so you probably feel better about it. Always use the opened jug first so you store fresh oil.

You should get together with this guy:

I now only buy the 5 qt jug unless there is a really good oil score(sale/closeout/discontinued) on quarts that I can't pass up. I would just buy the extra 5 qt container for your Mom's vehicle and use the leftover one for adding that additional quart for each OCI &/or makeup oil(e.g., if the engine uses oil).
I'd like to add that, when the boxes(6qt/12qt) are available when I am in the market for oil, I do choose them over the 5 quart jug/containers. Just wanted to add that info. :giggle:

I wouldn't break the four quarts down into separate quart containers, I'd rather keep them all together.

I bought a gallon of T5 for my mower about 4 years ago, when I bought it I knew it would last for about 7 or 8 years since I only do annual changes on the mower, not worried a bit about it going bad. I suppose just to make the guys here happy I'll shake it up before I use it :)

I just use 5qt jugs not that hard to figure out next oil change 3.5qt from old jug and 2.5qt from new jug.

then change after that 2.5qt from old jug 3.5qt from new jug.

etc.

Keeps the open bottle fresh instead of sitting there for 5 oil changes.

I have two trucks that take 6 quarts so I buy five 5qt jugs. 5x5= 30qt 30qt/6qt = 5 nice even oil changes. I used to dump in just 5 quarts but they both burn a bit and I switched oil that can do 10k oci's so i fill to 6qts now. If I'm going on a long road trip I'll dump an extra quart in just to not have to give a crap. I hardly check the level I just dump an extra quart in and go.

Back