1(?) oil change per 1 million miles.

He is a CAT diesel mechanic and makes good videos of stuff he repairs at work.
First time watching this guy, he seems very articulate and reasonable.

I personally of course would never run an oil with the thought of never changing it, and I’m sure the guy in the video feels the same...but on an oil site, it is an interesting topic. And I’ll tell you what: ten years ago I was in a class on fuel injection or something, and the instructor was a former Toyota factory rep - the instructor told us that during the time Toyota went with their 10,000 mile oil changes, they had Mobil1 representatives come in and try to explain/sell them on the concept that their oil (Mobil1) could go 70,000 miles without changing (never mind 10,000), and maybe might never need changing. That it was that “good”. I can’t remember what he said after that point - and I believe Mobil1 was also making Toyota’s synthetic oil initially - but the point was, the oil can handle quite a bit. Now, I’m assuming this conversation ^^ was off the cuff type stuff, but I did find it interesting at that time. I also believe that when Toyota came out with their 10,000 intervals, they hadn’t gone to DI exclusively yet. Never mind turbos.

And how exactly would I benefit when neither myself or the guy (mechanic?) in the video are promoting anything?
I posted a duplicate of this video by accident here (sorry @M56959): https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-changes-optional-with-a-bypass-filter.362388.

I found the video by accident on my YT front page. Like you, I posted it as a curiousity, and maybe to beat on it a little bit in good ol' fashioned BITOG style, hehe. 😁

No matter how much soot and other contaminants you remove from the oil, the additive package will deplete eventually. Bypass filtration is good to keep down wear particles. My favorite bypass filtration system for big Diesel engines is the Spinner II centrifuge. It will reduce engine wear somewhat, but you should still change your oil at regular intervals.

The video is, IMO, reasonably articulate and simply assessing the claims of GCF with no bias.

As to the topic of BP filters, they most certainly are a proven concept and, when properly applied and monitored, a very useful tool in cost control with little-to-no detriment.

HOWEVER ... the KEY to getting one's ROI is using BP systems in large sumps, used for long (very long) OCIs. The gain from the lack of changing oil has to be large enough in magnitude to offsett the other BP system operational costs (FF filter changes; BP filter changes; top-off consumption; UOAs). Small sump systems really struggle to even approach a break even point; they can't overcome the operational costs because an OCI is just cheaper than all the operational costs of a well-managed BP system.

The key to equipment longevity is proper maintenance, but there's not only one way to get to the desired result. However, the COST of any one approach may or may not make the decision fiscally sound, regardless of how well it achieves the task. The ultimate goal is to have a sump clean enough that it makes for low wear. There are two ways to get a sump clean:
- filter contamination out
- flush contamination out
Either one works well, so it's a financial balancing act to see which works "better" when ALL inputs are taken into consideration.

As a generalization ...
Large sump systems can benefit from BP systems (when managed right) by returning a $$$ savings.
Small sump systems cannot benefit from BP systems; it's just cheaper to change the oil/filter.

NOTE ... READ ...

We had two threads going regarding the same YT video; both posted about the same time.

These threads have been merged so make sure you're reading everything in context and not cross-talking.

The additive and anti-wear package in the oil would definitely be depleted over that period of time, and the TBN of the base oil would be so low and acidic it would probably ruin bearings and rases if the motor sat for any period of time with that oil in it.

Regardless you can't overlook the base oils TBN depletion and it's additive package depletion.. The anti-wear additive package is constantly being used up from the moment you put the oil in the engine..
If an extremely low TBN oil is left in the engine it will cause an acidic corrosion on vital engine parts..

Personally myself I find that to be unbelievable.

Last edited:
Back