1(?) oil change per 1 million miles.

Hold on-guy used a Gulf Coast oil bypass system and swapped out the filter and 1 1/2 gallons of oil regularly (at least once a year, apparently)-on an OTR tractor, which likely sees all highway, steady speed running... There's basically NO comparison between that mode of operation and any intermittent use, city & highway, LD gasoline engine. I'm sure the guy also used UOA to verify oil condition, so this was not some crazy crapshoot! By saying "NO OIL CHANGE!!" in the YT title, I think we can agree it's clickbait.

So you haven't even watched the video, just like I assumed. Thank you for your thoughtful input.
I don't watch youtube videos that are in the first post of any thread unless the OP puts a summary of the entire thing including conclusion - and the video is simply a reference point you may or may not watch if you want, because there usually clickbait.

I generally don't click on youtube videos even on youtube that have the batman "pow" caption like the above video, because there usually clickbait also.

If you care to tell me what its about, I might watch it?

I don't watch youtube videos that are in the first post of any thread unless the OP puts a summary of the entire thing including conclusion - and the video is simply a reference point you may or may not watch if you want, because there usually clickbait.

I generally don't click on youtube videos even on youtube that have the batman "pow" caption like the above video, because there usually clickbait also.

If you care to tell me what its about, I might watch it?
Conversation would be more productive if you spent the few minutes on watching the video, instead of spending the same amount of time on typing out the reasons for not wishing to watch it. I didn't make the video, and have no reasons for forcing you to watch it. Neither do I benefit from you watching it. I spent my time on the video, which resonates with what this forum is about. So I thought it would be fitting to post it here for those who care about topics like this. And I know for a fact that some here do care about bypass filtration systems and extended OCIs. I guess that last sentence can be the summary of the video that you're asking for.

Hold on-guy used a Gulf Coast oil bypass system and swapped out the filter and 1 1/2 gallons of oil regularly (at least once a year, apparently)-on an OTR tractor, which likely sees all highway, steady speed running... There's basically NO comparison between that mode of operation and any intermittent use, city & highway, LD gasoline engine. I'm sure the guy also used UOA to verify oil condition, so this was not some crazy crapshoot! By saying "NO OIL CHANGE!!" in the YT title, I think we can agree it's clickbait.
Clickbait? Very likely. Does oil get replenished partially? Yes, which probably helps with UOAs.
But video did get my gears grinding a bit... And I was hoping an oil related forum can expand on the topic somewhat. Here are a couple thoughts I have after watching the video.

At what point does the owner break even and starts to get return on the investment?

Which option is better in the long run, and how long is said long run?
Option A - Change oil by time/mileage, oil+filter expenses.
Option B - UOA expenses + filter expenses + bypass filtration expense + lesser expenses on oil, since it's only needed for top-offs.

And mainly, does such bypass system make sense in a daily commuter, or is this purely for highway warriors who cover no less than 250 miles per day for 200+ days per year?

Clickbait? Very likely. Does oil get replenished partially? Yes, which probably helps with UOAs.
But video did get my gears grinding a bit... And I was hoping an oil related forum can expand on the topic somewhat. Here are a couple thoughts I have after watching the video.

At what point does the owner break even and starts to get return on the investment?

Option B - UOA expenses + filter expenses + bypass filtration expense + lesser expenses on oil, since it's only needed for top-offs.

And mainly, does such bypass system make sense in a daily commuter, or is this purely for highway warriors who cover no less than 250 miles per day for 200+ days per year?
If you edit and put this in the first post prior to the video, you will likely get a lot more people to watch ?

Conversation would be more productive if you spent the few minutes on watching the video, instead of spending the same amount of time on typing out the reasons for not wishing to watch it. I didn't make the video, and have no reasons for forcing you to watch it. Neither do I benefit from you watching it. I spent my time on the video, which resonates with what this forum is about. So I thought it would be fitting to post it here for those who care about topics like this. And I know for a fact that some here do care about bypass filtration systems and extended OCIs. I guess that last sentence can be the summary of the video that you're asking for.

How would anyone know you have no benefit coming to you for posting? Something at the far end of what most of us have experienced owning vehicles as a first post is sure to garner heavy skepticism. You could have taken the time to provide a synopsis and introduce yourself, but you didn't.

How would anyone know you have no benefit coming to you for posting? Something at the far end of what most of us have experienced owning vehicles as a first post is sure to garner heavy skepticism. You could have taken the time to provide a synopsis and introduce yourself, but you didn't.
You may be mixing me up with someone else. Not my first post, but 2500 and counting. And being registered since Jan 2016 I thought I don't need much introduction.
And how exactly would I benefit when neither myself or the guy (mechanic?) in the video are promoting anything?

To know the real reasons behind posting this video, see my previous posts in this thread.

Last edited:
You may be mixing me up with someone else. Not my first post, but 2500 and counting. And being registered since Jan 2016 I thought I don't need much introduction.
And how exactly would I benefit when neither myself or the guy (mechanic?) in the video are promoting anything?

To know the real reasons behind posting this video, see my previous posts in this thread.

My error on your post history. Unfortunately, in the era we live in no way to really know when the OP had nothing but the video. I read your previous post. I believe we were typing at nearly the same time.

But were all your posts under this username?

Either way, I don’t click on the youtube videos typically. No need to fund the you tube stars unnecessarily. So your summary is appreciated.

Nothing new with bypass filters

You still have to top off oil regularly for oil consumption
You still have to change your full flow oil filter as required
And obviously, the bypass has its change intervals too

If you know what you are doing with a bypass filter, you don't ever need to change your oil.

On a large sump, expensive to change diesel OTR tractor, bypass & UOAs can pay for themselves in savings. On a small sump gasoline vehicle I can generally change full syn & a decent filter for LESS than the cost of a UOA alone!

Found this little gem on YT:

Please le me know what you think. I gotta get some Zzz, it's really late. :sleep:

[Edit]

I watched it at 2X speed to save time. 😁

Back