1/2 Ton trucks and cooling sytem performance

Over on TFL truck they did a towing test using one of the owner's of the site brand new F150. I t was the Hybrid. At any rate-going over the Vail (Colorado pass) it over heated. The F150 is on my list for a replacement truck. It looks like I ill be ordering the 5.0, since dealers here refuse to stock it. I know of over heating issues (at elevation) with the 3.5 as well. It's a big "no thank you" to the Eco-Boost.

90 degrees and high mountain passes are the norm here in Utah-at least during the summer.

I have towed all over the Rocky Mountain West, and Pacific Northwest w/my 2018 Silverado 5.3 and never once even approached the "danger zone" of over heating.

Question: is the turbocharger coolant-cooled? Perhaps at boost the high exhaust temps are heating that turbo enough where the coolant can’t keep it in check? Just a thought.

It looks like I ill be ordering the 5.0, since dealers here refuse to stock it. I know of over heating issues (at elevation) with the 3.5 as well. It's a big "no thank you" to the Eco-Boost.

Good choice, although I do like the 2.7L for it's block design, but have not researched any real driver experiences during operation.

We were up in Northern NH this weekend and towed home in the heat pulling 4 quads, two kayaks and camping stuff on my 18' trailer.
The temp gauge never moved, tranny stayed cool and she purred like a kitten running MC 5W20 syn blend.

Question: is the turbocharger coolant-cooled? Perhaps at boost the high exhaust temps are heating that turbo enough where the coolant can’t keep it in check? Just a thought.
Coolant and Oil cooled is normal on gas turbos. Heat keeps adding up when your pushing a small engine hard.

Over on TFL truck they did a towing test using one of the owner's of the site brand new F150. I t was the Hybrid. At any rate-going over the Vail (Colorado pass) it over heated. The F150 is on my list for a replacement truck. It looks like I ill be ordering the 5.0, since dealers here refuse to stock it. I know of over heating issues (at elevation) with the 3.5 as well. It's a big "no thank you" to the Eco-Boost.
Just get the F250 and your guaranteed a reliable N/A V8, 6.2 or 7.3 your choice. I'm not excited about the new 5.0 V8s, or the MDS systems on GM and RAM. The 6.6 GM, 6.2 and 7.3 fords should be "like a rock".

Yes they are. And yes that could potentially be part of the issue.

90 degrees and high mountain passes are the norm here in Utah-at least during the summer.

I have towed all over the Rocky Mountain West, and Pacific Northwest w/my 2018 Silverado 5.3 and never once even approached the "danger zone" of over heating.

Problem is, the 5.0 uses the same cooling system as the 3.5L. So until someone comes on here and says the 5.0 doesn't overheat in Utah(I am also in Utah) i don't know if we can be certain it would not also have issues. So far, the only 1/2 ton I am fairly confident wouldn't have issues is the 5.7L Tundra.

What do you tow?

TFL never tests trucks in the summer. The MFG's only send them trucks in the winter when its 15 degrees out and overheating is not an issue. They only did this test because the Powerboost is owned by Andre and the Silverado is owned by TFL I believe.

Problem is, the 5.0 uses the same cooling system as the 3.5L. So until someone comes on here and says the 5.0 doesn't overheat in Utah(I am also in Utah) i don't know if we can be certain it would not also have issues. So far, the only 1/2 ton I am fairly confident wouldn't have issues is the 5.7L Tundra.

What do you tow?

TFL never tests trucks in the summer. The MFG's only send them trucks in the winter when its 15 degrees out and overheating is not an issue. They only did this test because the Powerboost is owned by Andre and the Silverado is owned by TFL I believe.

The test I linked above was done on like a 95 degree day. The point being is the truck overheated. I tow a Forest River 26DJSE-dry weight of 4,500 pounds. It hits the "sweet spot" for half-ton towing. It's my third trailer-so I know the capability of the 5.3, the trailer tires and what a properly adjusted weight -distributing hitch and brake controller should feel like. I have towed-literally thousands of miles-to the East Coast and back, and all over the South West and North West.

What do you tow?

Yes-but the system doesn't have twin turbos to cool. I think in the 5.0 it's nonissue-IMHO.

Coolant and Oil cooled is normal on gas turbos. Heat keeps adding up when your pushing a small engine hard.

Just get the F250 and your guaranteed a reliable N/A V8, 6.2 or 7.3 your choice. I'm not excited about the new 5.0 V8s, or the MDS systems on GM and RAM. The 6.6 GM, 6.2 and 7.3 fords should be "like a rock".
Not interested in a F250 to run around town in-and it won't fit in the garage.

There is a reason J2807 isn't tested on IKE and is Davis Dam Road.

IKE almost always has cool ambient air where Davis can hit 115 easy.

Gasoline engines dump more heat into the coolant than diesels at the same power levels.

Mechanical fans DO make a significant differance even at 70+mph. Anyone who has been heavily loaded on the highway and can watch their coolant temps in real time knows that mech fans drop temp like a rock when the clutch kicks in.

This sounds like bad engineering by ford.

The test I linked above was done on like a 95 degree day. The point being is the truck overheated. I tow a Forest River 26DJSE-dry weight of 4,500 pounds. It hits the "sweet spot" for half-ton towing. It's my third trailer-so I know the capability of the 5.3, the trailer tires and what a properly adjusted weight -distributing hitch and brake controller should feel like. I have towed-literally thousands of miles-to the East Coast and back, and all over the South West and North West.

You realize I linked that same test like 5 posts before yours. I am aware of the test.

Your Silverado also has a radiator that is quite a bit bigger than my 2014 F150 radiator and similar in size to the 2015+ Ecoboost radiator. I am guessing your truck does stay cool as its peak output at 11,000' would be around 250 hp/270 tq. Thats if you can even get it to sit at the correct RPM with the transmission. The Ecoboost is only slightly limited in Torque to 390 at that elevation per the tables in my HPTuners software and somewhere around 300 HP.

Last edited:
There is a reason J2807 isn't tested on IKE and is Davis Dam Road.

IKE almost always has cool ambient air where Davis can hit 115 easy.
Agree. The problem is the elevation of Davis Dam is quite low. We can hit 100F here in Utah at 6500'+ which compounds the issue. Not only is the cooling air less dense but the turbos are having to operate at a higher pressure ratio for the same power and generating more heat in the charge air.

Agree. The problem is the elevation of Davis Dam is quite low. We can hit 100F here in Utah at 6500'+ which compounds the issue. Not only is the cooling air less dense but the turbos are having to operate at a higher pressure ratio for the same power and generating more heat in the charge air.
Yup - altitude and heat tough combo. Ike is altitude with no heat.

Super familiar with the formula - heat starts building in the oil and the engine starts to detonate then it pulls a few degree of timing out worsening the situation.

True davis isnt as high as some- when the air is 115 or so the black asphalt heats the inlet air easily to 130+ presenting a diff challenge.

I'd say this was pathetic performance from the Chevy Silverado 1500.

I've towed far more weight, in hotter conditions, at altitude, with my Dually, and never come close to getting too hot, let alone overheating. Yes, an entirely different class of truck.

But the point is this Chevy was rated to tow significantly more weight than it was towing, and it couldn't do it without overheating.

It would appear that Ford and Chevy are overly optimistic in their tow ratings.

You ever notice that dont say that you can pull those loads over 40 or uphill. Just that they are rated to move and stop that load. We as consumers just assume that their tow rating or cargo capacity means we can do those things at whatever the speed limit is in whatever the temp is. I have learned over the years that its not what they say its what they dont say thats important. And thats not just Auto makers, its any corporation that employs and advertising agency.

I've towed far more weight, in hotter conditions, at altitude, with my Dually, and never come close to getting too hot, let alone overheating. Yes, an entirely different class of truck.

But the point is this Chevy was rated to tow significantly more weight than it was towing, and it couldn't do it without overheating.

The payload ratings are what's important...the towing numbers Ford, GM, and RAM spout are meaningless. You can't tow 11,500 pounds with the Silverado 1500.

I’m long past my 2500 diesel days and 32’ park trailers … but 12 miles of sand in 4WD is leaning heavy on the fans with very slow forward movement … My last two GM’s did a great job … as does my Rubicon - but it has a significant gearing advantage …

So i actually looked at the parts diagrams of the Silverado and to me it looks like they only have an air cooler, no liquid/oil cooler. That might be why it was struggling at low speed.

we saw the 5.3L tow an 8000 lb trailer up the ike not that long ago and didnt get hot. The video was actually about how cool the chevy transmission stayed vs toyota that got to like 250

some correct if im wrong though but i couldnt find any indication of a liquid cooler.

Attachments

• 7A3E9A9C-1C95-4886-87EE-1319B34680BC.jpg
    7A3E9A9C-1C95-4886-87EE-1319B34680BC.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 4
Back