0W40 in place of 10W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, its just what I noticed while driving it today after the change (and I'm sure we're all in tune to minute changes in our autos while driving - since we are all oil/auto freaks here anyhow :> ). I'm not claiming it's a "better" oil by any means. If it cuts into my gas mileage too much I just might switch back to the 5w-30 or try the 10w. I just decided to switch after hearing the positive comments regarding the 0w-40, reading the recommended grades in Japanese owners manual (one of which is a 5w-40), and just plain wanting to test out a thicker oil for the Accord. Hopefully the experiment will go well...

Maverick

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
I would like to know what makes the M1 0w40 better than the M1 10w30. How would the additive package be better? 0w40 should have more VII and less PAO.

VaderSS--comments?

Interesting that your accord performs better than with the 5w30. Maybe the thicker viscosity is at work on the valvetrain.

For now I'm going to stick with 10w30 in the Camry.

[ August 24, 2002, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Maverick ]

The 30W Mobil 1 should do just fine. Indeed the 40W will cut into horsepower and fuel economy. You just don't need that much viscostiy in this vehicle. Regarding running 80 mph, etc. Rusty Wallace came in 2nd tonight at Bristol running 30W Mobil 1 oil at a fairly significant speed... Mobil 1 30W will not shear down unless contaminated by fuel/AF/H2O, etc. It will remain in grade, just as Mr. Wallace's did tonight at Bristol.. M1 30W series oils just do not shear, are grade stable. I have seen vehicles go 40,000 miles on Mobil 1 and oil analysis results indicate the same viscosity as new oil. I have never seen M1 go out of grade except by some form of dilution or severe blow by causing oxidation. And this is for literally hundreds of oil analysis results for fleets of company cars, vans, tow vehicles, etc.
George

George, I believe this is a Supersyn thread so with this in mind

{And this is for literally hundreds of oil analysis results for fleets of company cars, vans, tow vehicles, etc.
George }

Are you saying you have seen the
hundreds of Supersyn anaylisis results? Or Trysyn and prior? I believe the distinction needs made between the two oils as it may mislead some readers into thinking the two are the same or never changed

Also,I find it difficult to believe that the Wallace car uses a Walmart type formulated oil. Can you confirm that car uses a OTC oil in it please,interested in knowing.I am not accusing in anyway but this will be news to many if found to be true

[ August 25, 2002, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I've been using BMW synthetic 5W-30 for the last 50,000 to 60,000 miles and really like it. It is ACEA A3/B3 rated (unusual for a 5W-30). I have 83,000 miles on the car and my last compression test (at around 80,000 miles) showed 195 psi (the spec for new engines) across all cylinders.

I started using it because (1) is was a good synthetic and (2) it is CHEAP at US$3.80 per quart.

Has anyone else had experience with this oil?

[ August 25, 2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: JettaRed ]

Nope...
blush.gif
nono.gif
::ducks::

Maverick

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Maverick, did you take a sample of the SS 5w30 and send it in for analysis?

Ive noticed no HP or fuel economy loss running the 0W40 so far.

Granted, I'm not getting a longterm result on the economy, but none of my tank ups in the past 1000 miles have made me think that it is using any more gas on a given cycle than it did before. City is still about 13-14 on Houston gas(same as before) and Houston gas highway on my normal 150 mile trip is still in the 18-19 range.

Something I've noticed since I got the car, is that when I use gas from outside Harris county and surrounding counties, (non-refomulated gas) my city is 16-17 and highway is 22-24. This was confirmed this weekend, when I got 18.4 for the trip there, and 22.9 for the trip back. I drive the same going and returning. Traffic was medium both ways, and the mileage indicates that.

As for HP loss, I've not put it on a dyno or anything, but if I don't feel a loss, I'm not worrying about it.

If you're not noticing a major horsepower loss, or a significant drop in MPG, then that's the
most important thing. So it appears that slightly thicker oil isn't hurting a thing in that regard.
It's good to know, as I can safely recommend 0w40 to my LS1 friends who want a thicker oil to lessen their oil burning, but don't want to go with anything else other than what they can find at their local Autozone.

BTW, I also notice a pretty big MPG drop when using reformulated gas. It's in the area of about 2 to 3 MPG. Makes you wonder how they can say this gas is better for the environment if you end up using more of it! I think any emissions bonus you get out of it is negated by the fact that more of this stuff is coming out of your tailpipes for every mile driven!
freak2.gif

VaderSS
Colleague changed from 10W30 to 0W40 M1 TriSyn (no SS here yet) some 6mths ago in his VW Bora V5 which I think you call Jetta in the US? Onboard computer shows average fuel economy better than the 10W30. More protection/less fuel. He's happy!

jettared,

I use the BMW HP Syn Oil 5W30 in my wife's 528e. I used M1 before that and the BMW oil gets a lot darker (cleaning better). There was a thread on this oil earlier and it seemed to drift. This oil seems to get no respect, but it has great specs / certification, widely available, and a great price.

Jack

Before the BMW oil, I tried M1, Valvoline SynPower, and Castrol Synthetic (I haven't used dino stuff since the first 10,000 miles). I like the BMW 5W-30 even more than the Valvoline SynPower 5W-40, which is the preferred weight for my car. And since the BMW had the same ratings as the SynPower 5W-40 (and was cheaper), I stayed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back