0W40 in place of 10W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jjbula
Somwhere here theres analysis figures from a Benz that used 0W40 TS and I think it was 13,000 miles. It is good on a Timken tester, one of only 3 oils that we found could hold 100lbs pressure without seizing. Redline 10W40 and Penrite 5W60 were the other 2.

From the MB 0w40 analysis thread---

The 0W-40 and 15W-50 have to meet some tough Euro car specs (such as Mercedes 229.1 and 229.3) and I think there are excellent oils.

If you compare the specs numbers released by Mobil 1 (pour, flash, etc.) between Tri-Synthetic and Supersyn, you will see that the pour point did not go up and flash did not go down for 0W-40 and 15W-50.

Also the oil has sheered into a 30 weight (11.7 cSt at 100 deg C).

Bo

What I was worried about is the shear from 14.4 to 11.7.
Originally thought 15w50 would be a better choice (less VII)

But when you compare the 100C cst to new 5w30 or 10w30 it is still higher.

Definitely great numbers and looks like a winner.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

I believe in running the recommended weight oil in an engine, and the 0W40 is closer to 10W30 than 15W50, so I'd use 0W40.

Of course I'll run analysis on each choice. I've decided that, since no two mileage periods are exactly the same, and since I don't feel like running 3 analysises on each oil to establish a trend, I'll use the "change oil" light as the reference point.

The PCM figures all driving factors and most enviromental conditions (except dust) to arrive at a valid point to change the oil, that way if I make more highway trips in a given interval, the PCM will compensate for that, so the stress on each oil should be the same. I ususally reset it one and wait for it to come back before I change, but in this case, I'm wanting to do comparisons...

[ August 01, 2002, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

That's a good way to do equal comparisons! (using the change oil light that is) Does yours show a countdown like the Corvettes and Grand Prixs, which start out at 100% oil life and slowly (or quickly depending on driving habits!) go down to zero? If not, you could probably still access that info with Autotap. I know this because the 99 and up F-bodies have a change oil light, but if you use Autotap to check into what's going on in the computer, it will show the % of oil life left in there. Pretty neat eh?

I went ahead and put 0W40 SuperSyn in and pulled a sample of the 5W30 Tri. Hopefully, I'll have the results within a couple of weeks. I am keen to know how the 5W30 has endured 4k in this Houston heat and traffic. Sorry that I'm not running a direct comparison yet, but I saw the 0W40 at Autozone and could not control myself.
smile.gif

No, I don't get a countdown like some cars, it just comes on to say, "Change me!" I plan on getting some scanning software one of these days do I can see that kind of thing. It's just not real high on my list, though when the warranty expires and I start working on it myself, it will be a little more urgent

I think I have a problem...

My name is Wayne, I'm an Oilcholic.
tongue.gif

[ August 06, 2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

That's what I'm debating/thinking about now as well. I think I've narrowed it down to M1 0w-40 or the Texaco Havoline 5w-40 or 10w-30 "synthetic". I've got about 4k on the Mobil 1 5w-30 supersyn now and am hoping to see some analysis results before I switch.

Maverick

quote:

Originally posted by troy_heagy:
Wouldn't 5W-40 be better? There's less Viscosity spread: Fewer additives, more lubricant.

Troy (just curious)

IMHO 5w40 is better. Delvac is a good example

It is designed for diesel applications, however.

Some don't like the high ash content, but I think overall it will protect better and stay in grade longer.

0w40 appears to shear down to 30 weight.

quote:

Originally posted by Maverick:
That's what I'm debating/thinking about now as well. I think I've narrowed it down to M1 0w-40 or the Texaco Havoline 5w-40 or 10w-30 "synthetic". I've got about 4k on the Mobil 1 5w-30 supersyn now and am hoping to see some analysis results before I switch.

5w30 often shears toward a 20 weight.
Problem is it starts out at the low end of 30 weight at 100c

Even though it stabilizes in high 20 weight the oil still seems to protect well for many engines.

0w40 seems to shear no lower than 30 weight.

I would rather run the 0w40

[ August 07, 2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
IMHO 5w40 is better. Delvac is a good example

Some don't like the high ash content, but I think overall it will protect better and stay in grade longer.

I use 5W-40 Delvac 1. What's the problem with ash?
Troy

I can't speak from experience but I've read
on forums about a concern about the higher sulfated ash content.

Slightly over my head but I believe it has to with organo-metallic adds that help raise TBN

Its good for extended drains or diesels but can,
in theory, contribute to deposit formations.

What kind of deposits? I'm not sure

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Anyways, as far as my experience....I didn't like the 0-40 and won't be going back to it. Too much tapping noise coming out of the engine assoc. w/ a too thin of an oil...regardless of the stats....

I have an interesting experience related to this. My last fill in the Windstar (6400 miles ago) was with the pre-tri-syn formula 0W30 "extreme" M1. At first I was very disappointed because of all the new noise the engine made, it sounded like collapsed lifters. But somewhere along the way, the noise stopped, and now the engine is quieter and smoother than it ever was.

I don't know how bad the noisy time was for the engine, or what it was, but at this point I am happy with the 0W30 and I may eventually try the 0W40. I have to use up my old stocks on hand first.

The whole point of my running the Mobil 1 0W40 is that it is unlike the other, Energy Conserving Mobil 1 oils which appear to sacrifice too much to other concerns. The 0W40 and 15W50s appear, to me, to be the best OTS synthetics aimed at cars. They are aimed at achieving long life and low wear, under the demands that european drivers place on their cars, ie; extended high speed and extended drains.

If Mobil 1 10W30 was as high quality as the 0W40, I would run that, but in order to get that quality I have to chose 0W40 or 15W50. 15W50, in my opinion, is too far from the recommended viscosity for me to run it.

Just put in the M1 0W-40 SS today in my '01 Accord. Replaced the M1 SS 5w-30 with about 5k, and a lot of hot weather AC driving. I was debating between the M1 10W-30 and Chevron/Texaco 5W-40 "synth" (but couldn't find it - still the Equilon SJ stuff locally). I was kind of worried since they recommend the 5w-20 but if the Japanese manual says it can take a 40wt oil, then I'm not too concerned.
Anyways - the temp has decreased a few ticks on the gauge (enough for me to notice), and the engine seems smoother and sounds a bit quieter when floored. We'll see how it goes - I'm planning on keeping this in for 7000 or so.

Maverick

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
The whole point of my running the Mobil 1 0W40 is that it is unlike the other, Energy Conserving Mobil 1 oils which appear to sacrifice too much to other concerns. The 0W40 and 15W50s appear, to me, to be the best OTS synthetics aimed at cars. They are aimed at achieving long life and low wear, under the demands that european drivers place on their cars, ie; extended high speed and extended drains.

If Mobil 1 10W30 was as high quality as the 0W40, I would run that, but in order to get that quality I have to chose 0W40 or 15W50. 15W50, in my opinion, is too far from the recommended viscosity for me to run it.

I am also thinking about running the new M1 0-40 in the Integra. I usually run about 80 mph on the way to work and in 100 degree heat on the way home. I am concerned about the xw-30 Mobil 1 grades that I have been using thinning out to 20 weight.
confused.gif

I just heavily edited this post (25 Aug)

Realized that I look kinda schizo with my difficulty in choosing 10w30 or 0w40.
freak2.gif

On the one hand I want to minimize volatility in my Camry for sludge control. I also have a gut feeling that an oil with less VII and more "oil" is fundamentally better for your engine.

On the other hand I like the 40 weight and HTHS >3.5

I may choose to rely on analysis to tell me if I really need a 40 weight. If I do choose the 0w40 I will definitely be using Auto-Rx on a regular basis.

Is there a reason that M1 0w40 better than the M1 10w30 other than HTHS > 3.5

VaderSS--comments?

Interesting that your accord has more pickup than with the 5w30. Maybe the thicker viscosity is at work on the valvetrain making it smoother.

For now I'm going to stick with 10w30 in the Camry.

[ August 25, 2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

Mobil 1 0W-40 & 15w-50 meet the ACEA A3-02 category spec. The xW-30 oils meet the A1 & A5-02 spec. The category descriptions are copied below and the tests are listed in the ACEA link. Only the 0W-40 oil meets the Mercedes Benz MB 229.3 spec.

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26 b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/61638dff7d0453b085256b8400618b40?OpenDocument

http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618PublicationsOilSequences.pdf
A1: Oil intended for use in gasoline engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a High Temperature / High Shear Rate Viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in
some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A5: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a HT/HS of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and / or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and / or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe
operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

Ken

[ August 24, 2002, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Ken ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back