0w40 Castrol Skyactiv Turbo

Just curious if I can run 0w40 in my Skyactiv Turbo. I'm currently running Castrol European for it's more robust additive pack, and because it is produced in Austria. The Euro 5w30 has gone up in price, but the Belgium made 0w40 is $21.97 on Amazon and $22.98 at Walmart. I don't see how a thicker hot weight could be troublesome; if anything it will provide now protection for the turbo. The Castrol GTX Silver Synthetic jug is an unknown right now, because it is so new.

If you are already running Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 with MB 229.5, then that's not very different from Castrol Edge 0W40 also with A3/B4 & MB 229.5

So if you are happy with your first choice, then your backup choice is also reasonable.

You should have no problem with it other than maybe a SLIGHT decrease in MPG. Good call for the more robust add pack, and super easy availability. It's one of those "thin" 40wts, but has a high HTHS that does really well in a higher strung, small turbo engine. However, a consideration for a direct injection engine is deposits. The 0W-40 does well here too with a low NOACK, but is a higher SAPS oil. If you are super critical on lowering chances of IVD and need a low SAPS with good HTHS, the Castrol 5W-30 LL will fit the bill well and can be had at Walmart.com for $10/qt., which is a bit cheaper than the Euro. They usually have the 5qt. jugs for ~$22, but have been out for awhile now.

Back