0w20 for heavy driving?

Hey folks,

My skyactiv 2.0 L requires 0w20 of any brand really. It also says that a 30 weight is acceptable for warmer climate.

I drive pretty heavy, passing cars on highway, downshift many times, high revving, etc.

Would a 5w30 or in this case a 0w30 would give me a better protection for long term? or its just splitting hair and a 0w20 is fine to take the abuse?

I do 80% highway, 600 km per week, my OCI is 8000 km recommended by Mazda.

Any inputs is appreciated!

Last edited:
It will be just fine. I run have 5w-20 in my 2002 Silverado with the 5.3 that it calls for a 5w-30 and have ran 0w-20 as well with no issues. This is even pulling a 4k pound 8' x 20' box trailer.

I don't think we have seen a UOA showing unusual wear using any 20wt oil. I have used either 0-20 or 5-20 for several years with around 500K(miles) with great results even in very hot temps.

If 0W-30 or 5W-30 makes you feel better, then go for it. It will give a bit more MOTF between parts, so it certainly can't hurt and may slightly reduce engine wear over the long run.

fwiw, Mazda says 5w-30 outside the US and Canada.

It means you should run a 30 grade if you want to reduce wear.

It means you should run a 20 grade if you want 0.5mpg better.

I own a 2.0 sky 140k on it nothing but 0w20 I'd never consider a 30weight unless possible in 100+ temps sustained. No need to overthink this at all

Originally Posted by LotI

This is absolutely untrue and backe up any facts or prof of it.

Originally Posted by LotI

Fake News

" This is absolutely untrue and backe up any facts or prof of it."

Huh?? Does that mean anything?

Last edited:
Actually it is true to a point....

Higher HTHS equals more MOFT which in turn will help keep parts separated more so vs a lower HTHS ... And the mpg difference is a part of the rationale why lower viscosity is made here in this country.

Though in all likelihood a 0w20 would obviously be just fine... And any added wear by running a 0w20 would not be a noticeable difference until way, way, way out of warranty.. .

Originally Posted by CR94
" This is absolutely untrue and backe up any facts or prof of it."

Huh?? Does that mean anything?

Oops how many glasses of bourbon did he have tonight. Lol

0/20 is what is spec'd for my 2018-5.3 Silverado.

I tow a 30 foot -5,000 pound trailer. The motor hasn't blown yet.

No optional oil weight is listed in the owners manual.

People drove, towed, and worked using 30 grade that got sheared and or diluted down to 20's or lower for decades and decades.

A robust 20, that stays a 20 will work fine in almost anything for a reasonable amount of time.

I run *gasp* 5w20 conventional or Synblend in my Ram. If you know anything about Texas, we like to speed. I've gone 110+ MPH for hours on the 130 Toll, which is an 85mph posted speed limit (like anybody goes that) in temps over 100F.

I've hauled trailers on I35 going 80mph. Wasnt the best on gas but I doubt the oil cared.

5w20 will be fine.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If 0W-30 or 5W-30 makes you feel better, then go for it. It will give a bit more MOTF between parts, so it certainly can't hurt and may slightly reduce engine wear over the long run.

YES
I am a 'thickie' (I also have a Mazda6 Skyactiv 2.5L) - I run 5W-30 in the summer and 0W-20 in the winter until I have exhausted my 0W-20 supply....the year after next.....I don't know if there are any 'real world benefits' to be had - after chances of trading in, wrecked, tranny ruined first etc.....but less engine wear-wear in hot climates is well documented. That's what were all here for anyway right? Picking apart the oil molecules to irrelevancy....

This site turned me into a "thickie" so I curse all of you. I used to just grab a few jugs of Valvoline till I started coming here!

I run Castrol Edge 0w40 in both my cars that call for 5w20, with 5w30 being "acceptable." I drive the 300 pretty hard like what you described, and at least according to my wife, drive the van pretty hard. Would a 5w20 be more than fine? Yep. Does it give me the warm fuzzies knowing how I drive? Nope, hence the 0w40.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

+1 That's what I'd be using.

I've been running 0w20 in my 2018 Silverado...it did use oil initially. For some reason it hasn't using Rotella Gas Truck 0w20. No issues either way.

Back