09 Flex with P0420 Code since 4 years.

Old Flex is running fine, now at 257,000 km and it's had a CEL that comes and goes for the last 4 years. Always the P0420. I don't want to put a new cat on the rear bank, the cost would be 40-50% of the cars value. We don't have emissions testing in Ontario any more, but if we trade the Flex in against another car in the next year or so, that CEL is going to be a problem. There are no drivability issues, and fuel economy is pretty much the same as ever.

If I install a new rear downstream O2 sensor ( $35 CAD) and a O2 spacer ( $10 CAD)...will I be happy with the results?

Yes I know the best solution is a new cat, but forget it.

Do you guys have Cata-Clean from Walmart, etc up North? Maybe worth trying since it's supposed to clean the cat. Last I read it had good results but this was a few years ago.

Last edited:
Aftermarket Cats are legal in Ontario, but the cost is still going to be about $900 after all gaskets, fasteners are included.

Cataclean might be worth a shot.

Scotty is not worth a shot. If I ever tried his recommendations, I would have to shoot myself with a gun I don't have.

Aftermarket Cats are legal in Ontario, but the cost is still going to be about $900 after all gaskets, fasteners are included.

Scotty is not worth a shot. If I ever tried his recommendations, I would have to shoot myself with a gun I don't have.
You can't replace the vehicle for $900.00-that's the way you need to look at it. You can continue to drive it or trade it in. If the hit to trade in will be more than $900.00/ fix it. However-you can make the argument you got your money's worth and dispose of it (trade it).

$900 seems like a steal to make the issue go away for a year or two?

As long as the car runs and drives, you typically won't get back money you spend to fix it up before trade in. The dealer can do repairs at wholesale cost.

You can get some cheap ones on eBay for $500 or less for the pair :D

They should last long enough to not have the light on at trade-in :sneaky:

I don't know the P0420 code setting criteria for the Flex but in this scenario, I thought it was generally best to install a new upstream sensor. Many vehicles compare the relative switching rates between upstream and downstream sensors to determine if the converter has failed. The thought is that a new sensor will respond faster than an older, lazy sensor so the upstream sensor should replaced first. If you decide to replace the downstream sensor, then the upstream should also be replaced at the same time.

Got access to a smog check station who can do a “inspection” test without a certificate? Yes, Ontario isn’t doing emissions but some shops keep them around. If the HC/NOx numbers aren’t grossly off due to other issues, install a defouler and drive the Edge until it falls apart.

I’d be more worried about the cat failing and the engine sucking up chunks of it.

Back