09 5.7 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard one bad word about the Hemi since it came out. If yours has MDS (cylinder deactivation) then apparently its important to stick with Xw20 oil for proper operation.

All 09 trucks have MDS.Can't tell when its on or off.Works smooth.Its turns 4 cyls OFF every chance it gets.My MPG info I reset when I left the dealer with only 30 miles on the truck.Drove 50 miles home on interstate and two lane with a few miles of side roads.Showed about 19.2 when I got to my driveway! I have the 3.92 rear gear with 20 inch tire/wheel package.Turns the effective rear gear to 3.71.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
All 09 trucks have MDS.Can't tell when its on or off.Works smooth.Its turns 4 cyls OFF every chance it gets.My MPG info I reset when I left the dealer with only 30 miles on the truck.Drove 50 miles home on interstate and two lane with a few miles of side roads.Showed about 19.2 when I got to my driveway! I have the 3.92 rear gear with 20 inch tire/wheel package.Turns the effective rear gear to 3.71.

Only the 1/2 ton Ram with the 5.7L has MDS. Just to be accurate. Not all 09 Rams have MDS.

The 5.7L in the 09's is a redesigned engine with a big bump in HP and FTLBS. The original 5.7L has been a great motor since it hit the scene in 03 Models. As was already stated seeing as you have MDS you need to run a 20 weight oil. Do not go to another weight. Stick with 0W or 5W-20 as MDS requires a 20 weight oil for proper operation. The 5.7L is not hard on oil or I should say it hasn't been. Not sure if that will change with the new power #'s and redesign?

Also, just a comment as you brought up the overhead console computer. I can't speak for the 09 as I am not sure if they changed it or not but in earlier models the overhead is a joke. If the 09 uses the same basic system/programming do not go by the MPG figure shown as it won't be close. Hand calculate the MPG by dividing the gallons of fuel used into the miles driven if you want to know what your MPG is.

The overhead computer, tradtionally, in the Rams( from 94-08 anyway ) always over estimates the MPG and it can be by a significant margin. I have had a 94/97/01/03/04/ and now 08 Ram with the overhead( has been the same one for the most part ) and they have all been off and at times as much as 3 MPG off. Usually it runs anywehere from 1-2 MPG off/high. Usually you can get a feel for how much off/too high it will read and that can sort of give you a clue as to what you are getting but it is so inconsistant thhat really it is not much good at all. I just check my MPG after a fill. The overhead is really useless.

Last edited:
My 03 diesel the times I've checked by hand the overhead my figures were withen .3 to .5 of each other.Some other post on some forumns said the same.Others say its wildly off.I reset every tank.I have read about how inaccurate the overhead is but I have not found that to be the case with my 03.In time I'll check the 09 by hand.Has a 2500/3500 with 5.7 even made it to the dealers yet? I have not seen one on the street or on any dealer lot I shopped.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
My 03 diesel the times I've checked by hand the overhead my figures were withen .3 to .5 of each other.Some other post on some forumns said the same.Others say its wildly off.I reset every tank.I have read about how inaccurate the overhead is but I have not found that to be the case with my 03.In time I'll check the 09 by hand.Has a 2500/3500 with 5.7 even made it to the dealers yet? I have not seen one on the street or on any dealer lot I shopped.

09 2500/3500 models will be in the previous body. The new heavy duty series is due out for 2010 models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back