08 Toyota Highlander AC light blinking

Hello everyone. I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander and the air conditioning button has started blinking when I start the vehicle up. If I turn the button off and turn the AC back on it will get cold, and then it will go a day or two without doing the blinking thing again. My mechanic wants to do an air conditioning service for almost $100 but I don’t see how servicing an air conditioner that is getting cold will fix this problem.

Is there anything that I can check before I take it to him that I may have some success in repairing it DIY? Thank you in advance for your assistance and have a good day

Blinking usually indicates a error in system. Could be the low pressure switch is causing it if the system is borderline on pressure. I would check pressure on low side to see if the system is low on refrigerant. 100 bucks does not seem bad to check the system out, assuming you do not have proper tools to check out ac system performance.

Blinking usually indicates a error in system. Could be the low pressure switch is causing it if the system is borderline on pressure. I would check pressure on low side to see if the system is low on refrigerant. 100 bucks does not seem bad to check the system out, assuming you do not have proper tools to check out ac system performance.
I don’t have the ability to check pressures. As I dig into this a bit more, a common repair is an AC clutch relay, but I can’t track down the correct part number. My local Napa and Oreillys don’t seem to know if what they have will work or not.

If you are looking into compressor clutch, check resistance of coil. Check voltage to coil. Check air gap of clutch. Those are all possible causes. I have seen several issues with wiring to AC system as well, usually the signal wire to tell the relay to activate the clutch.

Many things can cause it to blink. The system is ran by the computer. That computer checks pressures against temps as well as noting compressor clutch speed.

Has to be property charged before any diagnostics can be performed or you may be chasing your tail.

I don’t have the ability to check pressures. As I dig into this a bit more, a common repair is an AC clutch relay, but I can’t track down the correct part number. My local Napa and Oreillys don’t seem to know if what they have will work or not.
It’s just a relay. Call the dealer, they probably have 20 in stock and actually know the right part. Bet they have an updated part for it.

Back