08 Liberty 3.7l oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am leasing a 2008 Jeep Liberty, I had 2 years worth of oil changes- which equates to 4 free oil change coupons - Ive used them all already @ 18,000 miles.

Tonight I changed the oil and used Motorcraft's semi-syn 5w-20 and a motorcraft oil filter (bought at wal mart). Since new, its always received dealership bulk oil so probably not surprising, I SWEAR it was much quieter and smoother with the semi-syn. Am I nuts?

Just wanted to see what people with late 3.7's are using, and if anybody has anything to say about the Motorcraft semi-syn 5w-20 in that engine?

Last edited:
your not nuts. now as far as motocraft 5-20 is good oil. one thing i would recommend though is maybe mobil 1 0w-20. i use ow-30 in my mom 2005 liberty. not just for wear protection but it seems to really like it.

MC 5w20 in my Dakota 3.7l, with MC filter. ANY 5w20 should be superior, so I wonder what bargain brand the dealer is using? Are you sure they actually did change the oil, instead of just claiming to.

Last edited:
Most dealer bulk is 5w30 or 10w30. Very few places aside from Ford and Hyundai/Kia actually use bulk 5w20.

The g/f has had her 07 Nitro with the 3.7 for 60k now. It has seen OCI's of Amsoil XL, Synpower and now MC. Next I will throw in some PP. I actually found six quarts of PP 0W20 at my WM for $4.01. Maybe this will be the next OCI. I don't give a [censored] about the warranty.

My '06 3.7 liberty started out with 5w30 mobil 1 truck and suv which it liked. Now I switched to pp and it really likes it as well. (the '06 is spec'ed at 5w30, not 20).
I am sure the mc is good, but I like the pp and all of the good uoa's posted here. I use the napa gold filter, which is a high quality wix.

Thanks folks! I was thinking the same thing about the dealership - I bet it was 5w-30 bulk oil or even 10w-30!

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
How do you gentlemen like the placement of the 3.7's oil filter? Unbelievable design.

Ugh. Miserable placement. Got oil ALL over myself and the driveway. Had to contort myself to get new oil filter up and onto the engine.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
How do you gentlemen like the placement of the 3.7's oil filter? Unbelievable design.

It's not great, but it's far from the worst.

PP 5W-20 worked well in mine, I plan on trying something in a 0W20 next OC for mine. The filter placement stinks, but now that I've dropped the oil a few times it's not bad. I use a 12" extension on a cup wrench and it seems to work well. The trick to not spilling oil is actually pretty simple. Loosen up the filter until it starts leaking (make sure the drain pan is under it). Jeep put some kind of funneling system near the filter and it seems to direct all the that spills out into that funnel. Then lower the filter, tilt it so it empties then get it out of there. It's a PIA but workable once you get used to it.

My gripe is there are no grease fittings! HTH

Since mine is a lease, Im think Im going to stick with the MC 5w-30. There is no point in me putting Mobil 1 or PP in there, especially since Im not buying it. And I figure at least when I change the oil Im letting it drain for a few hours whereas I watch the dealer tech "kid" put the drain plug back in when there is still a steady stream of dirty oil draining (rolls eyes). And no doubt the motorcraft semi-syn is a better quality than the bulk dino dealership oil right.

Im going to start the Jeep up in a minute (cold start) and see if any of the cold start up noise is gone. Usually it sounds like everything runs dry for a couple of seconds... could just be a characteristic of the 3.7l though.

Last edited:
Mine makes no noises at all, BTW 5W20 is what Jeep suggests for use in the 08 Liberty. But since it's a lease it doesn't really matter. Most people I know who lease cars don't do anything other than gas them and drive them, so you're treating it very well.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Mine makes no noises at all, BTW 5W20 is what Jeep suggests for use in the 08 Liberty. But since it's a lease it doesn't really matter. Most people I know who lease cars don't do anything other than gas them and drive them, so you're treating it very well.

Thats how I roll
grin2.gif

Im anxious to start it up in a few, before it was very noisy with the dealership oil. Like I said, I bet they were putting 5w-30 in it.

The same dealership: Once I had a 2004 Sebring with the infamous 2.7l sludge monster engine. I would bring it to the dealer every 3,000 miles and get oil changes for the warranty, in case I would ever run into sludge problems.

Got my oil changed, got home, looked at the invoice. It read "Changed engine oil & filter. Refilled with Mopar 10w-30 conventional oil".

I turned RIGHT around and went back up there. They insisted that 10w-30 was 'fine' for the 2.7, which very strictly called for 5w-30.

This was the same dealer and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, as this was 4 years ago I had the 10w-30 experience there. So I kind of want to "hope" they put in at least 5w-30, but wouldnt be surprised at all if it was 10w-30
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
In my stepdad's '08 Liberty, I had him drive it 3k on the FF dino...then I changed the oil with Mobil-1 5w20. I figured syn was best choice for 6k OCI when his daily commute is 35mph driving less than 15mi one-way.

I plan to switch him to 5w20 PP next time since it is cheaper and shows to be good on this site.

I have a 2009 Liberty with the 3.7 engine, and with all the coolant lines for the towing pkg., it is almost impossible to get to the oil filter.
Sure wish the engineers that design these engines would get their collective heads out of their asses and use a bypass system in a location where it's accessible.
Bet none of them ever tried changing the oil and filter in a 2009 Liberty or they may have come up with a good design. Trouble is the people that design 'em probably don't drive 'em.

Originally Posted By: DEM5
I have a 2009 Liberty with the 3.7 engine, and with all the coolant lines for the towing pkg., it is almost impossible to get to the oil filter.
Sure wish the engineers that design these engines would get their collective heads out of their asses and use a bypass system in a location where it's accessible.
Bet none of them ever tried changing the oil and filter in a 2009 Liberty or they may have come up with a good design. Trouble is the people that design 'em probably don't drive 'em.

I'm not sure what they've done with the filter on the 09. I know the engine is the same as the 08 I have. I use a cap wrench, and 12" extension on my socket wrench. I thread the extension between steering linkage, fit the cap wrench on and work it up to the filter. Unscrew the filter a few turns and let the oil run into the built in funnel, then remove it. After doing it a few times it got easy. The location of the filter sucks!

I decided Edge 0W20 was going to be my oil after trying a few others from Pennzoil, Mobil, and Amsoil. The Edge is very quiet in it, and I'm very satisfied with it.

Nothing wrong with running a 30 weight in that engine. Any conventional 30 weight will work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back