07 Caddy CTS weird elect. problems, and ignition switch won't turn

Neighbors 07 CTS is having weird electrical problems and he took the ignition switch out, now it won't turn.

I came in on the tail end of this - neighbor came over saying he couldn't get his ignition switch to turn after replacing the wiper switch. You can put it in, and get it to turn to acc position, but can't get it to start the car.

Come to find out that he was having odd electrical issues, and he replaced the wiper stalk and now he can't get the key to turn.

btw, the original problem of the wipers not turning off, or coming on intermittently did not change when he replaced the wiper stalk.

Another weird symptom is that underneath the steering column, where that little metal plunger is you push gets hot to the touch pretty quick. I had him disconnect the negative battery cable whilst we sort this out.

To recap, car working fine, wipers start not turning off, he replaces the wiper stalk...and here we are.

Any suggestions guys?

Sounds like something is shorting there, start checking connections. Maybe he pinched a wire when he replaced the wiper module?

Reactions: JC1
I'm not a certified mechanic, and this is just something that I would check, check that the new part(s) is/are the correct part number(s) for that model, and trim level, and year. Just because the connectors mate does not mean the wiring is the same. From what you are saying, it sounds like it got worse with the new part(s), so I would suspect the new part(s).

If the metal plunger is getting hot, it must be touching a live wire as the poster above said.

The new problem would be due to putting it together wrong or using the wrong part. GM's typical design is that turning the key moves a rod which actuates the actual electrical switch mounted some distance down the column.

As for the original problem there are lots of things involved with the wipers especially on a Cadillac. One would need to obtain the schematic and troubleshoot the whole system.

Back