07 BMW Z4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well sounds like I'll be draining some pretty clean oil. I actually had the M1 0W-40 in my cart. Then decided to listen to the helpful counter guy at the BMW dealership. After all he should know.

I actually looked at the labels and did not see the LL-01 spec on any of them. I figured that spec had been upgraded to something newer. I'll take a better look when I return for the 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: RonRock
Well sounds like I'll be draining some pretty clean oil. I actually had the M1 0W-40 in my cart. Then decided to listen to the helpful counter guy at the BMW dealership. After all he should know.

I actually looked at the labels and did not see the LL-01 spec on any of them. I figured that spec had been upgraded to something newer. I'll take a better look when I return for the 0W-40.

See link.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx#

I actually read that on the label. I don't see LL-01 listed on it. Although now in hindsight I can see that LL-01 must be "BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01"

What threw me off was that most of the specs are SN/SM/SL/SJ and similar.

The Sx API designation is irrelevant to European manufacturers. You are looking for the relevant ACEA classifications (where applicable) and more specifically, the required manufacturer approval, which, as you've discovered, is listed as "BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01" on Mobil 1 0w-40.

What threw me off was that most of the specs are SN/SM/SL/SJ and similar.

Relatively speaking, API specs are easy to meet and hence you will find them on just about any off the shelf oil. Mfg specs such as BMW LL-01 or MB 229.5, on the other hand, are a lot more stringent and tougher to meet. That's what makes M1 0w-40 stand out from the rest of the M1 lineup.

So I'll go ahead and ask, not that it matters at this point. Any damage done in 100-200 miles with the M1 5W-30?

So I'll go ahead and ask, not that it matters at this point. Any damage done in 100-200 miles with the M1 5W-30?

No, should be OK as long as you didn't flog it and manage to elevate oil temperatures to a point where the 5w-30 was inadequate, which is likely impossible outside a race track environment.

Any damage done in 100-200 miles with the M1 5W-30?

Not unless you spent those miles at the track with the pedal to the metal.
smile.gif

If you're not going to be driving it like you stole it, then I'd just keep running that M1 5w-30 and switch over to proper LL-01 approved oil at your next oil change.

EDIT: [censored] it, OVERKILL beat me to it again!
cry.gif

Thanks guys. What I figured, but comforting hearing it from others obviously more knowledgeable on oil than me.

My wife's car driven like a baby.

Sorry for dragging this simple oil change into such a topic.

Any advice on changing the transmission fluid? Probably should start another thread.

So I went to the Local BMW thieves and got a filter. Surprisingly the parts dept. is decent and helpful. I paid 13.00 for the filter and talked with the guy about his thoughts on oil choices. His thoughts were pretty close to mine, and similar to most of the replies. Basically stick to a 5W-30 synthetic. As the BMW manual suggests.

So for this change I played it safe and went with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and a BMW filter.

I had to get the oil changed ASAP, I told my wife I would do it Saturday.

But in my research here and at the local WalMart, I see the 0W-40 Mobil 1 for European Vehicles as well as the Castrol.

I nearly choose the Mobil 1 0W-40 but backed out considering the 5W-30 spec from BMW. So is the consensus here that I would be OK with the 0W-40? Or should I stick to the 5W-30 as specked?

As a bit more info, I will not wait for the 15K mileage limit for future oil changes. Now that I am responsible for the service, I plan to do more frequent oil changes. Still undecided on the mileage on that, but certainly less than 15K. Probably 5-10K, but open to suggestions. I'm pretty new to synthetic oils and the large mileage suggestions.

Still open to any advice,

Ron

I would be ok with running for 15k. Most new Jags now have a 20k interval and some Porsche cars as well. The oil itself hasn't changed. They all still use Mobil 1, just like they always have. Look at any used oil analysis and you'll see that oils can safely be run at the manufacturer interval and many times well beyond that, as long as they meet the specs.
I admire those of you that think you know better than multi-billion dollar car companies, but let's be honest here. These intervals aren't random numbers they just made up. They're also not designed to break your car. It may induce paranoia but I suspect that's more of a user issue
Just changed the oil on my Mercedes at 13k and both filter and oil looked great (pulled 2k miles early because I won't have time later) I will post pictures when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Just changed the oil on my Mercedes at 13k and both filter and oil looked great

Oil looked great? How do we determine the actual condition of the oil based on its looks?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Oil looked great? How do we determine the actual condition of the oil based on its looks?

It maintained it's carbonation and still burned on the way down.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Flowed out nicely. No chunks or anything else worrying. It was black, but that's normal

Missed the humor.

I wouldn't top off 0W-40 LL-01 M1 with M1 5W-30.

Use some more 0W-40 M1, if needed.

If the 5W-30 is uncontaminated from the drain, use it in another vehicle.

Otherwise, write it off as a $22 lesson.

An API spec 5W-30 is not what this engine needs.
It needs an oil meeting BMW LL-01.
Some thirty grades have high enough HTHSv to meet this, like Syntec 0W-30 or the BMW labeled Castrol made 5W-30.
Most don't and M1 5W-30 from Walmart certainly doesn't.
However, given the type of driving your wife does with this car, a run of this oil will do no harm.
Tell her to be sure not to track the car until you change it to the recommended spec oil.
If I were you, I'd give it either M1 0W-40 or Syntec 0W-30.
The M1 would be my first choice and is typically cheaper since Walmart stocks it.

So I went to the Local BMW thieves and got a filter. Surprisingly the parts dept. is decent and helpful. I paid 13.00 for the filter and talked with the guy about his thoughts on oil choices. His thoughts were pretty close to mine, and similar to most of the replies. Basically stick to a 5W-30 synthetic. As the BMW manual suggests.

So for this change I played it safe and went with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and a BMW filter.

I had to get the oil changed ASAP, I told my wife I would do it Saturday.

But in my research here and at the local WalMart, I see the 0W-40 Mobil 1 for European Vehicles as well as the Castrol.

I nearly choose the Mobil 1 0W-40 but backed out considering the 5W-30 spec from BMW. So is the consensus here that I would be OK with the 0W-40? Or should I stick to the 5W-30 as specked?

As a bit more info, I will not wait for the 15K mileage limit for future oil changes. Now that I am responsible for the service, I plan to do more frequent oil changes. Still undecided on the mileage on that, but certainly less than 15K. Probably 5-10K, but open to suggestions. I'm pretty new to synthetic oils and the large mileage suggestions.

Still open to any advice,

Ron

I would be ok with running for 15k. Most new Jags now have a 20k interval and some Porsche cars as well. The oil itself hasn't changed. They all still use Mobil 1, just like they always have. Look at any used oil analysis and you'll see that oils can safely be run at the manufacturer interval and many times well beyond that, as long as they meet the specs.
I admire those of you that think you know better than multi-billion dollar car companies, but let's be honest here. These intervals aren't random numbers they just made up. They're also not designed to break your car. It may induce paranoia but I suspect that's more of a user issue
Just changed the oil on my Mercedes at 13k and both filter and oil looked great (pulled 2k miles early because I won't have time later) I will post pictures when I get a chance.

BMW recently revised the oil change interval to 10k miles or 1 year, down from 15k miles. You can be sure they didn't revise it down for no reason, since it hits them in the wallet. I think your trust in automakers is rather naïve. Like other manufacturers including Mercedes and Porsche, BMW has made their share of bad design decisions that cost them and/or their customers a lot of money. One of them is over ambitious oil change intervals intended to reduce life-cycle costs for warranty and leases. So what if the car wears out prematurely, the manufacturers couldn't care less.

OP, you should abide by the previous suggestions to use LL-01 oil with OE oil filter, as well as not exceeding the 10k mile / 1 year oil change interval. If you want to be cautious, get the oil tested by Blackstone.

FYI, I sold my last BMW with 188k kms on the odometer. I never added oil a single time the entire time I had it (over 110k kms). If you take care of your car, it will last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back