First DIY oil change on Bmw z4 G29 m20i

Thanks for accepting my membership.
I'm going to have my first diy oil change for my new baby BMW G29 m20i. For your information, the manual suggests BMW LL04, 12 or 17FE+. Yet, the local dealer suggests LL12 only.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for Pennzoil, Amsoil or Voltronic (treating my car well for its first time). Their products seem to meet only LL04 but not LL12. Is there any concern on my car if I use these products?

Let me guess. Dealer just happens to carry LL12?

If they gave me a choice I would go LL04.

I believe Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 at Walmart may still be LL04 but check. This stuff changes every other day it seems like.

Last edited:
I use BMW TPT oil in my BMWs and Mini. Join BMW CCA and take advantage of the discounts most dealers offer to members. Also check out FCP Euro. In any event, unless you track the car frequently I suspect any of the approvals listed in the OM will work fine.

Use any of the three specs with confidence. Don’t get tied down based on the dealer’s recommendation. The dealer isn’t there to ensure the best vehicle care, they’re there to sell new models, OE parts and handle warranty work. The latter is done begrudgingly.

I don't know specifics about these German automaker oil specs, but if this "12" oil is backwards-compatible with "4", it makes (more) sense for them to purchase and stock one oil.

Back