07 BMW Z4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello group, Now member, but I have checked in from time to time. It just amazes me that there is so much controversy over something so simple as oil. Ha Ha, wrong crowd for that comment I know.

So anyway the reason I finally stepped up and joined the forum is to ask for some advice from those who are obviously more informed than I am on the subject at hand.

Most important part of the question is the first part. This is my wife's car, her favorite car ever. And now it has become my responsibility to be sure she runs for ever. Or I may as well.

I am at work today 24 hour shift as a firefighter. So I don't have the manual with me. But the car is as the title says an 07 BMW Z4. Driven daily to work in Iowa about 25 miles each way highway speeds mostly to city traffic the last 2-5 miles. I think the car has 70K or slightly more on it.

This will be my first time servicing it since the extended warranty has expired. And I absolutely hate the thieves at the Omaha BMW Stealership. So I ask for recommendations on type and weight for this car. Of coarse I plan to stay with a full synthetic.

A little windy for such a simple question. Sorry.

Ron

You can't go wrong with Walmart M1 0W-40 and a nice Mahle filter from Amazon.

However, Euro Castrol 0W-40 or 0W-30 and a German made Mann would work just fine.

You just need to make sure your motor oil is BMW LL-01 spec'ed and you are good to go.

welcome2.gif

Welcome to BITOG. +2 on the Mobil 1. You cant go wrong with that!

Well it certainly seems like he would have a valuable opinion. Pretty full stable with 3 BMW's in it.

I have no problem with M1, but have read a bit (very small bit) about the suggested Euro Castrol. So am torn between the two.

Still open to opinions.

Oil is so confusing for a guy that just wants to put "the best" in my engines. I pounded my head for months last winter and early spring trying to decide on oil and gear lube for my Harley. Eventually went with M1 V Twin.

It really doesn't get any better for your wife's car than M1 0W-40.
There are certain other things I'd be more concerned about on an aging BMW of that vintage.
My advice to you would be to join a BMW board or two so that you have some idea of what proactive maintenance the car should have as well as what you might be looking at over the years and miles.
I'd personally have concerns well beyond choice of oil, but I drive an old-school BMW of a model known for being durable and reliable. It certainly has been for me. I'd be afraid of a Z3 or a Z4, but then I'm easily frightened of potential mechanical and electrical catastrophe that I can't figure out and fix, or at least figure out well enough to know what the likely fix would be.
WRT the dealer thieves, find a good indie.
There are bound to be at least a couple around you.
The good guys get tired of earning $25.00 an hour out of the buck twenty five the dealer bills flat rate.
They either open their own shops or do side work.
The really good guys can do all of the side work they want, since they have too much value for hard diagnostics for the dealer shop to fire them.

You bring up a very good point fdcg27. I have been very concerned on the potential issues that I may have to deal with. I have spent a bit of time on the BMW forums and of course see people coming online with their troubles. Some of the things I see mentioned are hard parts I have never heard of. Throws a bit of fear in me. I have always done my own work. Past employed as a mechanic. Way before the 90's. So I am not afraid to work on my own vehicles, but know enough to know that I will likely be in over my head if something serious happens with the Z4.

Would not even be worth thinking about, but she loves the car.

Thanks again guys,
Ron

Originally Posted By: RonRock
You bring up a very good point fdcg27. I have been very concerned on the potential issues that I may have to deal with. I have spent a bit of time on the BMW forums and of course see people coming online with their troubles. Some of the things I see mentioned are hard parts I have never heard of. Throws a bit of fear in me. I have always done my own work. Past employed as a mechanic. Way before the 90's. So I am not afraid to work on my own vehicles, but know enough to know that I will likely be in over my head if something serious happens with the Z4.

Would not even be worth thinking about, but she loves the car.

Thanks again guys,
Ron

I wouldn't worry about any upcoming problems, if you bought the car new, have always had it maintained, and don't beat on it, you'll have regular wear and tear things come up, but nothing big. Drive and be Happy.

So I went to the Local BMW thieves and got a filter. Surprisingly the parts dept. is decent and helpful. I paid 13.00 for the filter and talked with the guy about his thoughts on oil choices. His thoughts were pretty close to mine, and similar to most of the replies. Basically stick to a 5W-30 synthetic. As the BMW manual suggests.

So for this change I played it safe and went with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and a BMW filter.

I had to get the oil changed ASAP, I told my wife I would do it Saturday.

But in my research here and at the local WalMart, I see the 0W-40 Mobil 1 for European Vehicles as well as the Castrol.

I nearly choose the Mobil 1 0W-40 but backed out considering the 5W-30 spec from BMW. So is the consensus here that I would be OK with the 0W-40? Or should I stick to the 5W-30 as specked?

As a bit more info, I will not wait for the 15K mileage limit for future oil changes. Now that I am responsible for the service, I plan to do more frequent oil changes. Still undecided on the mileage on that, but certainly less than 15K. Probably 5-10K, but open to suggestions. I'm pretty new to synthetic oils and the large mileage suggestions.

Still open to any advice,

Ron

BMW is pushing the 5W-30 across the board now in everything except for a handful of M models.

You are certainly safe with the OEM LL-01 oil and OEM filter.

In addition, the advice here has been sound.

You need to check BMWUSA and find a PDF copy of your owner's manual.

You will find the oil recommendations here consistent with the owner's manual.

Don't worry about the impending maintenance issues.

The B&O tweeter assembly on my dash is over $3000.

But I still enjoy the driving experience of the M6 at every opportunity.

So for this change I played it safe and went with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and a BMW filter.

Your engine needs an oil meeting the BMW LL-01 spec. M1 5w-30 does not meet it because it has HT/HS viscosity of only 3.1 cP.

Quote:
His thoughts were pretty close to mine, and similar to most of the replies. Basically stick to a 5W-30 synthetic.

33.gif

It's not just any old 5w-30 synthetic. That parts guy is as educated about Euro engine oil as an AutoZone employee. Sad.

So I went to the Local BMW thieves and got a filter. Surprisingly the parts dept. is decent and helpful. I paid 13.00 for the filter and talked with the guy about his thoughts on oil choices. His thoughts were pretty close to mine, and similar to most of the replies. Basically stick to a 5W-30 synthetic. As the BMW manual suggests.

I had to get the oil changed ASAP, I told my wife I would do it Saturday.

But in my research here and at the local WalMart, I see the 0W-40 Mobil 1 for European Vehicles as well as the Castrol.

I nearly choose the Mobil 1 0W-40 but backed out considering the 5W-30 spec from BMW. So is the consensus here that I would be OK with the 0W-40? Or should I stick to the 5W-30 as specked?

As a bit more info, I will not wait for the 15K mileage limit for future oil changes. Now that I am responsible for the service, I plan to do more frequent oil changes. Still undecided on the mileage on that, but certainly less than 15K. Probably 5-10K, but open to suggestions. I'm pretty new to synthetic oils and the large mileage suggestions.

Still open to any advice,

Ron

As others have already stated, it isn't the GRADE ON THE BOTTLE that is the "spec", it is the approval, which in the case of your Z4, is LL-01. This covers a RANGE of lubricants from 0w-30 to 5w-40, all with an HTHS >=3.5cP, which is the requirement for LL-01. The BMW 5w-30 is NOT the same as VWB 5w-30, M1 5w-30, PU 5w-30.....etc, all of which are GF-5 SN oils with an HTHS < 3.5cp, most around the 3.1 mark. They are NOT appropriate for European long drain intervals either. The appropriate Mobil 1 grade for your car is the 0w-40. The appropriate Pennzoil Ultra would be their Ultra Euro 5w-40, the appropriate Castrol product would be either GC/BC 0w-30 or GC/BC 0w-40. Anything that says LL-01 on it. Ignore the 5w-30, you are looking for the LL-01 approval.

Good job on the OEM filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back