'07 Accord k24 upsized battery installed today

Original size 51r
tempImagehYrGtz.jpg

Old 51r vs new 24f
tempImagecb8bAC.jpg

New 24f installed, used generic battery tray and longer j bolts from Amazon. I cut 1/4 inch from the front j bolt so it wouldn't be sticking up. Everything fits and the battery is secure. Also installed a new larger gauge ground cable used on V6 Accords. Bring on the cold weather! Or don't, that would actually be better. But the car is ready.
tempImagePN4vCI.jpg

Last edited:
Is this something that can be parts-binned or do you have to go the generic route?

Original size 51r
View attachment 123926

Old 51r vs new 24f
View attachment 123927

New 24f installed, used generic battery tray and longer j bolts from Amazon. I cut 1/4 inch from the front j bolt so it wouldn't be sticking up. Everything fits and the battery is secure. Also installed a new larger gauge ground cable used on V6 Accords. Bring on the cold weather! Or don't, that would actually be better. But the car is ready.
View attachment 123928
Nice job..... There are a few Honda Parts that are online that sell a kit to switch to the larger battery...I did the same on my 07 Accord with the 2.4 engine.. I think that I purchased the kit from College Hill Honda back then... It was a very easy upgrade...

I had heard that a size 35 is a direct fit without buying anything, just remove the shell that fits over the 51R. But it doesn't look like the top retainer would fit very well.

Is this something that can be parts-binned or do you have to go the generic route?
I could have gone with a bit smaller group 35 battery used on V6 Accords, and purchased a tray from Honda for $$. The Honda tray was overpriced IMO, and after a good look at online pics I thought it offered no advantage over the generic tray. The generic tray sits on the metal shelf nicely.

I had heard that a size 35 is a direct fit without buying anything, just remove the shell that fits over the 51R.
Honda uses a different tray for the size 35, although the smaller tray can be used if one end is cut off with a hacksaw. From my search online, some people skipped the tray entirely. But if the battery ever leaked it would damage the metal shelf, not good.

Nice job..... There are a few Honda Parts that are online that sell a kit to switch to the larger battery...I did the same on my 07 Accord with the 2.4 engine.. I think that I purchased the kit from College Hill Honda back then... It was a very easy upgrade...
I saw the kit online from U.S. vendors but not Canadian. Shipping cost killed that idea for me.

Reactions: hrv
The 1st gen Acura TSXs use the K24 and the smaller bettery, which is a drag. The car's engine compartment is smaller; the larger battery will not fit.
Nice work!

Notice the Noco 1A tender...
View attachment 123934
I don't know what Honda was thinking with using such a small battery. I never needed a boost, but came really close to not starting a couple of times in -30something weather when there was no plug-in available.

I had heard that a size 35 is a direct fit without buying anything, just remove the shell that fits over the 51R. But it doesn't look like the top retainer would fit very well.

You don't have to remove anything.
The brackets have 2 tabs (to hold down the 51) that need to be bent back flush to the bracket.
One pair of pliers is all that is required.
That's why I went with the 35.

I may look at that upgrade on my 21 Honda HRV when the time comes....still uses a 51R battery...

Back