06 TOYO 4-RUNNER OIL CHANGE??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased an 06 TOYO 4-Runner w/the 4.7 V-8 and want to begin my OCI's with a good quality oil..
Want to go with a full syn & I'm thinking M1, CASTROL, or PENNZOIL?
Engine is in perfect running order, in fact the entire rig is in amazing condition so I plan on keeping/maintaing this truck for a long time. Oil was clean and fresh (just changed) when I bought it..

Would very much appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the OIL as well as my inclination to run a WIX filter..

I also want to ask if a thicker oil may help quite the valve train in my Sons 95 V-6 ISUZU RODEO. We have run a can of SEAFOAM in the crancase for the last week or so and now I want to change the oil..

TIA for your assistance...

You are likely to get several personal opinions, (myself included) but will probably get sound advice throughout.
Any of the makes of synthetic oil you listed would be good for your 4-runner. I personally prefer the Penzoil Platinum in my Toyo's. Wix is a decent filter, but there are several good filters out there just search the site.
I would suggest that you look into a transmission fluid change, of course this depends on mileage but with it being 6 years old it might be a good idea anyway. Toyota might be able to tell you if they have a service record of it or not.

As for the Isuzu I am not a fan of seafoam, but that's me. You didn't list the mileage but would guess it is pretty high considering the year model. Based on what I have personally seen and have read similar story's here I would say a High quality High Mileage synthetic or semi-synthetic motor oil would be in order for the old Isuzu. There are multiple accounts on the site regarding several different engine oil additives with various results. I suggest you look through those and decide what is best for your particular situation.
Good luck and congratulations on your purchase!

Did the Trans service (fluid and filter) several days after I bought the TOYO..
wink.gif

I tried to search the site for suggestions on filters didn't have much luck there?
Is the M1 filter a better option then the WIX?

Yea I know seafoam gets mixed reviews but my "plan" was it would clean things up in prep for this Oil Change..
I agree a HM blend may be a good option but I was wondering about changing the viscosity?
Not sure about the additives but I know there are a good number of them. I suppose I could go a thicker HM Dino oil and add a qt of LUCAS oil additive..

I have never been a big synthetic guy but people swear by them. I feel that most dinos now a days do a great job. Wix are nice filters. I would recommend using Pennzoil Yellow Bottle and a wix filter changing it every 5-6k. PYB is a good cleaning oil and has a stout add pack that will make your engine purr.

As for you Isuzu, a lot of the noise might also be caused by the seafoam in the crankcase. Even though it is cleaning the engine it is also thinning the oil. While a thicker oil in some cases will quiet an older engine down. Sometimes the type of oil may make a difference. My Equinox and Malibu are higher mileage engines and both seem to run "quiet" on Quaker State Defy. If you want, you could move up to a 10w-40 with the warmer climate of Florida. I wouldn't recommend it for colder weather.

Eitherway I hope you enjoy what you choose! That was my .02

p.s. I had to edit my response because I heard LUCAS. Do not purchase it! it is pure snake oil and will only do harm. Thicker oil will do the same as you are looking for without damaging the engine as Lucas will

Last edited:
I'm OK w/Dino oil and have used it almost exclusively in all my vehicles for as long as I've owned cars/trucks. Started changing my own oil at 16Y/O and just turned 50 on 10/09.. Prob run more CASTROL 20/50 then anything else and can say for certain I've never had an OIL related problem..
That being said I "think" there are some good points of ponder-once in regards to things that SYN oils do better in heat. Living in FLORIDA this is of course a consideration..

Now this particular OC will be done with FALL and Winter as the present/next season so mebe Dino oil would be just fine?

As to the ISUZU there is no bottom end noise, everything is up top and my intention was to "clean" things up prior to the O/C. The "noise" has been there for sometime and while I doubt there will be a FIX from the O/C I am hopeful things will quite down some for him.. Engine runs GREAT and I want it to live awhile longer so he can get himself to school and work as long as possible w/out spending $$ on a replacement vehicle.

Thanks for the note RE: The LUCAS product, I have no loyalty to the product just know it's a popular additive. I'm "very open" to suggestions on this topic..
I was thinking 10/40 or mebe 20/50 for the RODEO..

Anyone have experience or care to share thoughts on MANN Oil filters for the TOYO 4.7?
Also would Purolator be a good option/filter for this application?

Doing some online research and it looks like the MANN filter for this motor is not the GERMAN MANN I used for other cars in years past. Purolator and MANN are the same I guess so maybe a Purolator ONE or BOSCH filter will be the way to go?..

Thanks Bud, some great info there I never would have found since I've never owned a MOPAR nor heard of that forum/s..

Looks like I'm GTG with the Pure-One or the WIX.
Thanx again
beer3.gif

It's done, both vehicles got their O/C's today..

For the TOYO I decided on M1 oil since no matter where I looked I couldn't find enough info or opinion to convince me CASTROL was a better option??

So 2-5 qt jugs of M1 5-30, and the WIX O/Filter (bought 2, pt#51348)where purchased and the job completed..

The RODEO got PENNZOIL H/M 10-40, and a BOSCH O/Filter (pt#350254). Went with the BOSCH (as a substitute for an x-tra $3.00) because I don't like FRAM O/Filter the A/Parts store had as an Oil/Filter combo pkg on sale for $24.00..
Also didn't realize the WIX O/Filter I had in my stash (from my Own RODEO now gone) was in fact the correct part for my Sons RODEO as well.. No biggy though since I know now then I'm ahead of the game for the next O/C..

Hoping we see a reduction of valve train noise, but I'm not real optimistic on that?

Originally Posted By: FNFAL308
It's done, both vehicles got their O/C's today..

For the TOYO I decided on M1 oil since no matter where I looked I couldn't find enough info or opinion to convince me CASTROL was a better option??

So 2-5 qt jugs of M1 5-30, and the WIX O/Filter (bought 2, pt#51348)where purchased and the job completed..

The RODEO got PENNZOIL H/M 10-40, and a BOSCH O/Filter (pt#350254). Went with the BOSCH (as a substitute for an x-tra $3.00) because I don't like FRAM O/Filter the A/Parts store had as an Oil/Filter combo pkg on sale for $24.00..
Also didn't realize the WIX O/Filter I had in my stash (from my Own RODEO now gone) was in fact the correct part for my Sons RODEO as well.. No biggy though since I know now then I'm ahead of the game for the next O/C..

Hoping we see a reduction of valve train noise, but I'm not real optimistic on that?

Only time i hade start up rattle with my 06 4.0L tacoma was with a Wix 1348 and used many of them thinking it was just a bad one never with a Fram XG3600 or RP equivalent

Last edited:
I think this oil/filter stuff a mix of science, opinion, brand loyalty, luck of the draw, mechanics, and voodoo..

I imagine 10 others will say they never had a rattle at start up or any other time with brand XX O/filter? I can say for certain I NEVER have either here in Florida or when I lived in OHIO...

Personally I try to educate myself in the things I don't know or understand and then do my best to make and informed choice/decision. Looking at the links above, info gleaned from the past, info from other sources and forums the standard FRAM O/Filters are pretty much garbage and as such will never go on any of my vehicles.

I've run WIX filters in the past w/out issue and I know others have as well.. It "seems" the general consensus is that WIX has a good product but I'm sure that odds are some combo or product pt# may not work like it should?

The filter you reference is an XG which according to the link above is actually a pretty good filter BUT it's NOT the one that was offered in the sales flyer.. That O/Filter was the standard FRAM..

Whatever you can get on sale...

I've run my 1990 Toyota 4 Runner (a prehistoric beast compared with yours) on every possible brand since I got it in 1995. Engine is very clean under valve covers and runs great...It's got Castrol Syntec in it at the moment. Oil change this month will be Syntec 5W30...but only because I got that on sale too...

I have a 91 4runner I bought brand new. Have never run anything but Dino castrol 10w-40 in it. going on 275k miles and just did the crank seal for the first time this year. Valve covers have been done once and Cam seals have never been replaced. Run Castrol HM green jug in the 02 Lexus and it works well. Currently have M1 EP in the 2007 lexus, but plan to change it out with the Gold jug Castrol titanium tomorrow if the rain holds off. Use Toyota oil filters exclusively.

I've had my V8 2007 4Runner since new. Change my oil under warranty and extended warranty every six months or 7500 miles. Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W-30 with PureOne filter. Runs great, just changed my oil yesterday. V8 is very easy on oils. The engine runs quieter on the Platinum Synthetic than it did on the Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back