06 Grand Prix V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The daughter of a friend of mine has an '06 GP V6 w/ ~ 78-80K miles. Neigher one of them(daughter/mom) knows which V6 the GP has but they know it's not the SC. I'm thinking, either the standard 3.4L of the famous 3.8L. Both good engines!

OK! What she(the mom)tells me is that the engine apon start up is clacking/ticking loudly these days and louder than ever before especially since it's been in the mid teens out side in the early morning. The way it's explained to me, it doesn't sound like startup rattle as related to the oil filters ADBV.

This week as the outside temps are in the mid 30's, the clacking/ticking is much less. Though, with any colder outside temps, the noise does quiet down as the engine warm up. Summer time, the noise seems non-existant, or too little to complain about.

I know that these GM V6's can become a little bit noisy as they age but, nothing as loud as she is explaining, and can run this way practicly forever this way.

Now, they have been told(by whom, IDK), that the engine needs lifters. I have NOT heard the noise myself but, asked several questions:

Q: How often is the OCI?
A: ~ 3 mo/3 K

Q: What oil is in the car?
A: Changed at SEARS!...???(I'm thinking Spectrum!)

Q: Is the oil level Proper?
A: They don't know but, were told it's OK!

Q: Do either of you know if the oil is 5W30/10W30?
A: NO!

Q: How long has this been going on?
A: Worst this winter but, the noise has always been present though not objectionable in the past. So, they thought is was normal in this car/engine!

The mom told me that they cought SEARS, and proved to them that they[SEARS] had in the past, not changed the filter during a particular OCI.

Q: How do you know that SEARS even changed the oil then unless you checked the dipstick to see if it showed to be clean oil on the stick?
A: IDK!

Q: Why do you still go to SEARS?
A: IDK!

I am suggesting that they first get the oil changed at another place as they don't do it themselves nor do they know someone the will. If I offer to change it this one time, and the engine dies completely, it'll be my fault so, I'm not going there!

I do suggest that they try a place that actually uses PYP(as I explained to them what PYB is) and a new filter and see what happens next.

Is lifter replacement normal on these engines?
Any advise from members here and those with GP V6's are welcome...Please!

Thanks in advance,

CB

Last edited:
I'd try a high mileage oil and see if that quiets things down. Do those motors require valve adjustments? It's probably overdue.

Oh, I did mention a little bit about HM oils but, the conversation was getting too complicated as most guys that these girls have been talking to say, that Oil is Oil!

And, I beleive that these GM V6's have hydrolic lifters.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
These engines don't require valve adjustments. Is cold piston slap unheard of on one of these engines?

3.4's are notorious for piston slap as they age. 3800's can, but it's rare. A slapping 3400 will sound like death warmed over while it warms up, and run like a champ for 200k+ miles. Both of the 3400-equipped vans in the family sound awful while warming up, and still run like tops.

My BIL had a 3.4 Impala that apparently broke a lifter and he was told it was a common problem with them. I think however he was reffering to a rocker-arm but I don't know for sure.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
These engines don't require valve adjustments. Is cold piston slap unheard of on one of these engines?

3.4's are notorious for piston slap as they age. 3800's can, but it's rare. A slapping 3400 will sound like death warmed over while it warms up, and run like a champ for 200k+ miles. Both of the 3400-equipped vans in the family sound awful while warming up, and still run like tops.

I have heard of the Cold Piston Slap issue with these engines and also that they can do this the whole life of the engine.

My buddy in NY had a '99 Venture Mini Van with the 3.4L and it started ticking @ ~ 70K miles. He inturn gave it to his daughter in NV and she drove it to a ripe'ol age of 200K miles, with only non drivetrain related issues along the way.

I'll have to find out which engine the Grand Prix and I also want to hear the particular noise that the girls are talking about.

Is cold piston slap unheard of on one of these engines?

That is exactly what I'm thinking. However, that year Grand Prix only came with the Series III 3.8L V-6 which is not know as a piston slapper. If it had the 3.1 or 3.4, than I'd say it's piston slap.

The only thing that can be done is have a competent technician look at it. I seriously doubt it's lifters. Never heard of lifters being a problem on these engines; it's a hydraulic roller valvetrain.

Yes folks, she says it's the 3800 engine in her GP. IDK, I think that I'll have to see it and hear it for myself!

Last edited:
My old Buick had a lifter tick the whole time I owned it from 30k miles to 110k miles. It was annoying when cold and listening to the engine with the windows down, and barely audible when warm. It never changed, and the engine ran the same the whole time I had the car. Auto-RX and MMO didn't touch it. I learned to live with it, as it was a non-issue.

3800's are super-easy on oil. Change it with dino every 6-7000 miles and they'll run for 200k+ miles that way.

If it is in fact the 3.8, then they aren't noted for piston slap. It's doubtful that it's a bad (broken) lifter as the noise goes away after it warms up. Both 3.4's and 3.8's have had problems with the rollers going bad (I've changed a few myself), but when that happens, the noise is continual. The 3.8's are just shy of indestructible.

Likely cause: Sears put bulk 10w-30 in and she's experiencing some cold start issues.

Best course: Proceed as planned

Does it tick for a while and then stop abruptly? Piston slaps tend to gradually quieten but a lifter will stop at random times abruptly.

The girls mentioned that the engine when warm, quiets down to normal. They did also say that it quieted slowly either while idling or driving over several minutes. They didn't give an exact amount of time it takes to quiet as it does differ, weather/temp dependant.

Last edited:
The '06 had a base model with the 3.8 and the GT with the supercharged 3.8. Only other offering was the GXP with the v-8. Easiest fix would be try a different oil. I've used several different 5w30 oils and I get a tapping on some when I start up and none on others. I never get a ticking with either Mobil 1, Pennzoil or QS.
My '07 GP has 80k miles. My suggestion is try a different filter/oil combination.

PP with Mos2(1/2 can) may help... If it is truly a 3800, then I am thinking it could be from lack of timely OCI's and it just needs some cleaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
PP with Mos2(1/2 can) may help... If it is truly a 3800, then I am thinking it could be from lack of timely OCI's and it just needs some cleaning.

After doing some research online on the Grand Prix, yes the 3800 is the standard engine in the '06 GP's and one can only go up from there as you mentioned.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll pass along this info to the girls(Mom/Daughter) as I beleive they have little to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back