06 Ford Focus commuter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bough a 2006 Ford Focus with the 2.0 Duratec. It has 98,000 right now and I am driving about 100 highway miles per day. I currently have 5W20 Motorcraft syn blend from the dealer (I got 2 free oil changes). There are no leaks and the engine is clean and dry. Should I continue with Motorcraft blend for 5,000 OCI or switch to synthetic? I have used SynPower and M1 in the past on other vehicles. From what I can tell Motorcraft blend is a great oil and may do the job just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you switch to full syn like M1, then you can likely extend the OCI to 10K miles, especially with so much hwy driving.

I agree.

From what I've seen even the MC blend can go further than 5K in the Duratec especially with that kind of driving. I'd probably do 7K with MC blend or 10K with a full syn. like M1, PP, QSUD etc...

Those Duratecs were good little motors...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you can change your own oil any time reduced with the dealer touching your car is a better bet.

This.

I's stick with the Motorcraft Syn-blend. You can easily go 7500 miles between changes with this oil.

I use M1 0-20 and a MC filter in my 2007 Focus. I do 10K OCIs and both of my Duratech engines are very clean and use no oil.

I have been doing around 5K OCIs since I had mine due to warranty requirements (6 months which ends up being 5K miles).

Clean as a whistle. I have used:
- MS5K
- PYB
- MC Synblend
- Castrol Edge 0w-20
- Mobil1 0w-20

Never makes any noise or consumes anything. Easy engines on oil.

Once my warranty is up (or 5K before warranty is up) I am going to switch to 1 year OCIs.

That Motorcraft blend is a fine oil and will function easily for 5k miles. And probably much more. After your free changes, all the oils you mention are fine oils are well. Use the full synthetics up to 7500 miles at least. Dino oils easily do 5000 miles these days. Happy motoring

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you can change your own oil any time reduced with the dealer touching your car is a better bet.

I agree. I am going to use my 2 free changes and then do it myself. It is a Ford Quicklane and I can watch them do it.

Congrats on the new focus. I have a 2007 Focus with the same 2.0 Duratec engine as well. My OCI have been 10k as well since I do mostly highway driving. Oils range from PYB,PP to M1 0w-20/5w-20.

I also use an oversized oil filter. Currently a Purolator Synthetic PSL20195.

Have to agree with most of the posts here.

M-1 0w20 AFE is an excellent oil that I've been using for awhile in my 03'Focus 2.3 Duratec. It works flawlessly and I'm sure it will do the same for you, especially in those cold MN winters. Use it year round. My last OCI was at 9200 and my next will be between 8500 to 9500.

I've also been using the Fram ULTRA filter which IMO is the the best high-end filter you can purchase and is the 'best value for the buck' at under $9 at Walmart.

Good to hear that the Duratec is a good engine. So far oil was right at the full mark after 5000 miles. I have always used Motorcraft filters on my Fords, but now it looks like there may be some quality issues with Motorcraft/Purolator, so may go back to Wix/Napa Gold.

It seems that Motorcraft blend can go almost as long as M1 in these engines, so I'm not sure that I will switch or not. An extra few miles on the OCI in the winter may be worth it. Oil changes when it is -20 are no fun.

If I switch to M1 0W20 AFE with an engine with no leaks and 100k miles I should be fine, correct? I don't want to develop leaks.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
If I switch to M1 0W20 AFE with an engine with no leaks and 100k miles I should be fine, correct? I don't want to develop leaks.

No one can predict the future for your engine. However, I have used M1 0-20 for several years now and both Duratechs are leak free.

Is there much difference between the M10W20 AFE and EP, unless you are going to run 15,000 miles?

Is there much difference between the M10W20 AFE and EP, unless you are going to run 15,000 miles?

I only do 10K OCIs(I have been doing this for the last 36 years with M1 oils) and I know some doing much longer OCIs with AFE. I have no plans to go to 0-20 EP but if your deal is 15K then it would be a good option.

Went with M1 0w20 EP and a Fram Ultra Synthetic. I plan to run for 10k and then maybe do a UOA and see how it looks. Engine is already very clean with no leaks. This should get me through the cold winter without doing a change.

Went with M1 0w20 EP and a Fram Ultra Synthetic. I plan to run for 10k and then maybe do a UOA and see how it looks. Engine is already very clean with no leaks. This should get me through the cold winter without doing a change.

Good move. However if you start to notice a vibration, it's most likely the top motor mount. Focus has this problem and I just changed mine out last Sunday. See my post in the photos section.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back