06 Corolla Sludge :: MMO Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do all of my own maintenance, and what I can't do I bring to my personal Subaru mechanic where I drink a coffee and chat with him while he performs all work before my own eyes!

I take issue with letting others work on my car without me watching. With a family of 4 (5 with 80 pound dog) cruising down the highway with a full roof rack on multiple adventures per year, I need 100% visual assurance that things have been, and always will be, done right.

That being said, many car owners are hopeless when it comes to maintenance. Jiffy lube scam or not, if she took a couple of minutes to verify the work, or ask someone to verify it for her, she would have known something was wrong. Blind faith is not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I do all of my own maintenance, and what I can't do I bring to my personal Subaru mechanic where I drink a coffee and chat with him while he performs all work before my own eyes!

I take issue with letting others work on my car without me watching. With a family of 4 (5 with 80 pound dog) cruising down the highway with a full roof rack on multiple adventures per year, I need 100% visual assurance that things have been, and always will be, done right.

That being said, many car owners are hopeless when it comes to maintenance. Jiffy lube scam or not, if she took a couple of minutes to verify the work, or ask someone to verify it for her, she would have known something was wrong. Blind faith is not my cup of tea.

I totally agree with you on that but you know how girls are and can be, they just want to be pretty, and spend as little as possible on their vehicles.

My GF often drives her car with 1-2Qts short on oil...

This morning she was running late for work, I watched her get in start the car put it in D and do a WOT out her parking space... I hope that motor lasts a couple more months!

OK, this thread should probably die now. Lets send it away on a high note. Simply post several pics of the GF, and we can all call it a day!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Catera
This morning she was running late for work, I watched her get in start the car put it in D and do a WOT out her parking space... I hope that motor lasts a couple more months!

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
OK, this thread should probably die now. Lets send it away on a high note. Simply post several pics of the GF, and we can all call it a day!
thumbsup2.gif

Don't forget the friend too
48.gif

Catera: Here is what I would do:

1. go buy about 4 ST filters and several gallons of ST 10w30 oil and a gallon of MMO.
2. Do 4-1000 mile OCI's with one quart of MMO in each fill.
3. Then switch to PP and a ST or Fram filter and do 3-4 3000 mile OCI's

After seeing the pics...I would NOT go past 1000 miles with the oil or filter. You will be draining liquefied sludge very soon.

Last edited:
I will take all of these good advices and apply them to her car, I hope I can convince her to spend a little extra to complete the few short OCIs, however I am afraid that she does not quite understand the severity of the sludge issues.

I will try to just update with pictures as the next few repairs come up.

This thread also got quite out of hand, and that seems to bug some people, so I will try to keep it short in the future.

I will take all of these good advices and apply them to her car, I hope I can convince her to spend a little extra to complete the few short OCIs, however I am afraid that she does not quite understand the severity of the sludge issues.

Wait until she blows the engine....my wife did that in college on a 1 year old Chevette her parents bought her. She never knew that oil had to be changed or checked. I think she drove it about 18 months on the oil that was in it when they bought it.

Sludge you wanted, slude I present to you!

Behold...

This is after 2335mi on Mobil 5000 and 1 qt of MMO for the entire OCI.

I replaced the filter at 1000mi and now its on the second SuperTech filter...

Oil was pitch black, and it was almost thick looking with a very odd smell.

Good news is, sludge seems to be going down quite a bit. Last time looking through the oil cover hole you can see a ton of the chocolate stuff, now its about half of what it was.

I wonder if there is another oil that can maybe take care of the issue.

DSC05366.jpg

DSC05367.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

DSC05371.jpg

DSC05376.jpg

DSC05378.jpg

DSC05385.jpg

DSC05386.jpg

DSC05387.jpg

DSC05381.jpg

you could try PU since its supposed to be excellent at cleaning
lol.gif

also make sure you show the car owner the valve cover so she understands how dirty it is.

Last edited:
Was thinking about PU but at 28$/5qts its kind of expensive, and I dump it every 2000mi, the cheaper Mobil will probably work just fine...

I was thinking about a engine flus of some sort...

Omg, what type of oil was being used before the mobil clean 5000? That's some serious damage. I teach at a tech school and one of my students pulled a 91 corolla engine with 150000 miles on it and it looks a lot better then that. I mean this thing was clean, this looks like death to an engine.

Was thinking about PU but at 28$/5qts its kind of expensive, and I dump it every 2000mi, the cheaper Mobil will probably work just fine...

I was thinking about a engine flus of some sort...

Negative. Just keep changing oil with quick changes. It will come clean, be patient.

I had a talk to her again regarding the oil changes she said Jiffy Lube for something like 20K miles over 4 oil changes. They told her to come back every 5mo/5000mi or when the oil change light comes on whcih is right around that too..

Then I found an oil filter dated 2 years ago, and I assume JL never changed the filter, or did only once, and maybe only changed the oil with some very cheap stuff that could not make it more then 2500mi.
This is after some partial cleanign with the Mobil oil, I imagine it was even worse before that.

The oil was very black, smelled bad and I imagine took a lot of the sludge with it.

Next time I will pop the cover back off and see how it does...
Car now has 72K on it...

She also said she paid for premium service, some of her oil changes were close to 50$, and im not too sure what they did with it.

In fact I didnt even bother scraping any of it off, I was affraid loose pieces may block oil passages and that can cause other problems.

I had it running for about 15min and was hearing an odd tick, could be a lifter that is starting to go due to oil starvation...

I hope that MMO does some magic, otherwise It hurts me to see that kind of an engine go so soon.
The more I work on the little 1.8 the more I like it!

And I'll STILL stand by what I've said on this thread.

NO WAY this engine saw 5,000 mile/ 5 month oil changes.

Get the RECEIPTS from her. Or go the the Jiffy lube with her plate number and have them run the oil change history for her (if she does not have the receipts).

She should remember which Jiffy Lube(s) she went to those FOUR times?
whistle.gif

They will do that with no question.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back