'06 Corolla 5sp - test drove for curiousity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to take a cross country tour and just rack up the mileage...too bad I couldn't have been born 7 years sooner then 83.

Diesel was cheaper in 97.

Have 160k miles on my Isuzu Rodeo's automatic, all original, never opened. This truck does a LOT of mountain passes, seeing manual downshifts quite a lot - Monarch Pass IS a good test, have covered that many of times, even with a good load in/on this 3.2L V6.

Agree with Bill in Utah - the key to treating an engine/transmission right is to KNOW how to drive it, I have no fear of dropping speed and dropping gears if it means getting to the top with a happy, cool engine
fruit.gif

I think that after 1997, or '98, they switched from a belt/noninterference engine to a chain/interference.

I have the original clutch in my '93 Corolla. No problems at all, nearing 160k.

And the car still averages higher mpg than the EPA estimate for the current Civic model, at least in the summer.

Also, being "blown away" by the power is a relative perception. From a 1.8 4-cylinder, he might have been expecting to move like a piddling snail, and been pleasantly surprised that it can in fact zip around rather quickly. No one should expect it to move like a Corvette or a Ferrari, and I see little point in timing a 0-60 run in a Corolla. How is that relevant to the car's purpose?

Spark plugs are a 5 minute affair! I do not think any of Toyota's I4 take longer then about 5-15 minutes to change plugs. Clutch's hold up just fine if you know how to drive a manual and do not ride the clutch. Most Toyota's have a "dead pedal" bolted to the floor to rest your left foot on.

If you thought the 5spd was fast you should try the 6spd Carolla it has the high output engine and it will suprise you!!!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
If you thought the 5spd was fast you should try the 6spd Carolla it has the high output engine and it will suprise you!!!

No longer made.

for 2007 only the 1ZZFe 5sp or 4sp autos are avail.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

What years were the 6-spds available?

Yes, by no means is it a Ferrari in speed, but I've driven heavy trucks or mid-sized SUV's for the last 13yrs or so, it's kind of fun and "zippy" to drive a tiny car that whips around pretty fast, and I don't need a jet-plane.

Just something that can easily pull itself up our mountains and gets the daily commute done without complaint.

Have you driven one of those 6spd Corollas? I've been curious about them. Isn't it the same engine, but tuned differently? MPG is significantly less, according to Toyota's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back