Boron CLS additive testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TheTanSedan
Glad this was turned into a thread over here (I found it on www.ecomodder.com), as the overlap in interest should be large.

What I'm seeing are different communities whose interests overlap. I love Ecomodder because of their devotion to the scientific method and interest in improved mileage for any and all cars. What I like here is finding folks who understand oil lubrication effects, terms and terminology. The Yahoo Group, Prius_Technical_Stuff, has hard-core Prius hackers with archives that go back to November 2000, shortly after the first Prius arrived. Then MyHybridCar.com is a hybrid specific forum and mileage database.

The Internet is big enough we can freely choose our friends and associates. And if things change or go the wrong way . . . well go find a place to be happy. It isn't that hard to do. I'm just glad to be able to share stuff with folks who understand what the heck I'm muttering about.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bwilson4web
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Bob, regarding normal operating temperature, I don't think it will help you to replace the 82 C thermostat with 88 C to get better MPG but it will do a lot of harm to your engine.

I know you are thinking about Carnot engine, . . .

Not really, it has to do with the control laws of the Prius (See NHW11 Prius Temperature Hack.) The short version is:

• 70C - until the engine reaches 70C, the auto-stop does not work for the NHW11. This was relaxed for the NHW20 and ZVW30 model Prius but only when stopped. During this warm-up time, the engine has to run.
  • Stages S1-S4 - documented by Ken@Japan, these are various modes that allow the Prius to run with the engine off. We can not get into S4, full hybrid mode, until the temperature reaches 70C.
  • 60C - once the NHW11 engine cools to 60C, it has to run to bring the temperature back to 70C.
  • 95C - triggers the radiator fans to come on briefly. Due to thermal lag, once the temperature drops 1C, the fans go off but the coolant reduces the block temperature 5C. The engine will cycle 90-95C with brief running of the fans to bring the temperature down.
  • radiator inlet blocks - very popular in the Prius community in the winter; there is a Japanese after-market variable inlet block and; some of us have ... ideas.

But my interest in the 88C thermostat is based upon temperature effects on oil viscosity:
pri_T_cold_30.jpg

There are two grades of oil recommended for the Prius engine:
  • 5W-30 - 1.5L, NHW11/NHW20
  • 0W-20 - 1.8L, ZVW30

You'll note that my oil last winter was 0W-20 which is also a little more pricier than the 5W-30. My plan is to use the 88C thermostat to increase the block and oil temperature +5C so the 5W-30 has viscosity properties of the 0W-20. Some of our Japanese Prius friends use them to improve their mileage.

Bob Wilson

I can easily understand the reasoning behind the various temperature modes.

The 82 C - 95 C thermostat - fan thing is the same in my 1985 Corolla -- it's not something unique to Prius.

If you put an 88 C thermostat, your cooling system, especially the fans would work a lot harder, decreasing the lives of the fan motors (I had to change my auxiliary- [not main-] fan motor once after about 20 years), also increasing the chances of overheating in hot weather, etc. Despite the controls, your average engine-block temperature would still be higher, decreasing the lives of various other components as well.

For NHW11/NHW20 both xW-20 and xW-30 are recommended. See the official Toyota oil chart. (Note that you can use 0W-20 where 5W-20 is recommended.)

Why not use Mobil 1 0W-20 ILSAC GF-5/API SN? It's not that expensive in 5-gallon jugs at Wal-Mart. Auto stores also have frequent coupons. It has the latest GF-5 fuel-economy category (0.5% MPG improvement over GF-4) and chances are that it likely has the best friction modifier out there -- trinuclear moly of Infineum/Exxon-Mobil.

The thing about trying the decrease the high-temperature, high-shear (HTHS) viscosity by increasing engine-block temperature is that it will decrease the lives of the various parts in your engine and chances are that it will affect more the kinematic viscosity than the HTHS viscosity, of which the latter, not the former, determines the fuel economy, and you won't see the benefits you want to see. In my honest opinion, it's not a good way to try to increase the fuel economy.

. . .
The thing about trying the decrease the high-temperature, high-shear (HTHS) viscosity by increasing engine-block temperature is that it will decrease the lives of the various parts in your engine and chances are that it will affect more the kinematic viscosity than the HTHS viscosity, of which the latter, not the former, determines the fuel economy, and you won't see the benefits you want to see. In my honest opinion, it's not a good way to try to increase the fuel economy.

Indeed, heat is the enemy and I do not recommend a hotter thermostat to others. In my case, I have metrics and am used to paying the $20 to really understand what came out of the engine. I won't throw away the 82C thermostat and if there is evidence of a problem, swap it back in.

What I try to do is 'one change at a time' with before and after metrics. Then if there is a problem, back it out. I did this when I tried Amsoil ATF in the transmission ... another future thread for another one of the forums.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
My plan is to use the 88C thermostat to increase the block and oil temperature +5C so the 5W-30 has viscosity properties of the 0W-20. Some of our Japanese Prius friends use them to improve their mileage.

Bob Wilson

Why don't you just insulate the oil pan and oil filter to raise your oil temp? The bare oil pan probably dissipates at least 5C of oil heat.

Last edited:
Since labor intensivity (not a word but should be) is apparently not an issue, could a home setup single pass filtration system be used to periodically lower particulates.

I have often pondered setting up a semi-hermetic external filtration that could be applied on perhaps a 1k or 2k mile basis.

Eg, as hermetically as possible drop the oil into a jug, giving it one pass thru multi layers of high filtration paper towels. Then drop the oil back in.

For the person without the money, space or desire for a proper by-pass system. Would this substantially lower the particulates?

wag123 asked,"insulate the oil pan?"

The thermostat has a temperature controlled valve and that temperature plateau is needed for my engine fuel consumption tests at idle. It is a question of temperature control, not just heat retention. BTW, I've seen photos of some of our Japanese friends who 'foamed up' the engine to improve heat retention.

ericthepig asked,"home setup single pass filtration system?"

The literature often mentions industrial lubrication carts that do exactly what you describe. It is an idea that has merit but entails a substantial capital and maintenance cost.

If someone wanted to build one for home use, perhaps start with the Amsoil, microfiltration system and a salvaged, espresso machine pump. But consider the operational scenario and the need for oil connectors. It can be done but gosh, what a lot of work including the recurring 2-3k mile filter cycle.

Bob Wilson

Hi,

I'm trying to resolve some of your comments with the R&G measurements of Mobil 1:
. . .
(1) HTHS viscosity

xW-20 oils have HTHS viscosity of 2.6.
xW-30 oils have HTHS viscosity of about 3.0 - 3.1 but 5W-30 oils (especially dino ones) usually permanently shear to much lower values.
. . .
The best friction modifier to date is the molybdenum-sulphide compounds. Boron compounds are also used. Since molybdenum disulphide is graphite-like and not soluble in oil, organic molybdenum-sulphide compounds are used.
. . .
As far as moly friction modifiers is concerned, Toyota oil is said to have as high as a monstrous 500 - 1000 ppm level of moly.
. . .

The following results are from R&G Labs of Tampa FL:
warm-up_160.jpg

You mention "HTHS viscosity" but my lab reports "cTs @40C", "cTs @100C", and "viscosity index" (a pure number relationship between the two.) I'm confused about the units of "HTHS" which doesn't seem to have any dual-temperature range metrics but just one number.

As for molybdenum content, Mobil 1 appears to be at 100 ppm and you're suggesting 200 ppm is needed. What we don't know is the extent that boric CLS works or doesn't work in a moly environment. Certainly it was not mentioned in the vendor's documentation.

Now my understanding is the moly compounds are not chemically bonded to the surfaces but has to be available in the oil during operation or as part of an assembly grease. But I had not considered the hypothesis that moly or any other solid, lubricant additives might block formation of the boric acid layer. ... something to ponder.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Hi,

I'm trying to resolve some of your comments with the R&G measurements of Mobil 1:
. . .
(1) HTHS viscosity

xW-20 oils have HTHS viscosity of 2.6.
xW-30 oils have HTHS viscosity of about 3.0 - 3.1 but 5W-30 oils (especially dino ones) usually permanently shear to much lower values.
. . .
The best friction modifier to date is the molybdenum-sulphide compounds. Boron compounds are also used. Since molybdenum disulphide is graphite-like and not soluble in oil, organic molybdenum-sulphide compounds are used.
. . .
As far as moly friction modifiers is concerned, Toyota oil is said to have as high as a monstrous 500 - 1000 ppm level of moly.
. . .

The following results are from R&G Labs of Tampa FL:
warm-up_160.jpg

You mention "HTHS viscosity" but my lab reports "cTs @40C", "cTs @100C", and "viscosity index" (a pure number relationship between the two.) I'm confused about the units of "HTHS" which doesn't seem to have any dual-temperature range metrics but just one number.

As for molybdenum content, Mobil 1 appears to be at 100 ppm and you're suggesting 200 ppm is needed. What we don't know is the extent that boric CLS works or doesn't work in a moly environment. Certainly it was not mentioned in the vendor's documentation.

Now my understanding is the moly compounds are not chemically bonded to the surfaces but has to be available in the oil during operation or as part of an assembly grease. But I had not considered the hypothesis that moly or any other solid, lubricant additives might block formation of the boric acid layer. ... something to ponder.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

The units for high-temperature, high-shear viscosity is cP, and it's measured at 150 C (high-temperature) and 1,000,000 (10^6) 1/second (high-shear). High-shear means two engine parts sliding against each other with oil flowing between them and the shear rate is the relative speed of the parts divided by the distance between them.

Engine oil is a so-called non-Netwonian fluid, where the viscosity depends on the shear rate. This is primarily due to the presence of viscosity-index improvers in engine oil, which are made of very large molecules. Viscosity-index improvers may temporarily shear at high-shear rates, leading to a temporarily smaller viscosity, or they can permanently shear at high-shear rates, resulting in an oil with permanently smaller viscosity.

Originally, people thought that specification of the simple, kinematic viscosity (such as saying SAE 10W-40, which tells you the approximate kinematic viscosity vs. temperature) was enough. But in the 1970s, people realized that the kinematic viscosity had little use and that's when they discovered that the HTHS viscosity was what determined engine wear and fuel economy, not the kinematic viscosity.

In fact the first of the two most important findings was that the minimum oil-film thickness (MOFT) in a bearing -- the smallest spacing between the rotating concentric cylinders in the bearing (which dynamically moves as the bearing rotates) -- was given by the HTHS viscosity and, as a result, bearing wear and failure was directly determined by the HTHS viscosity. More the HTHS viscosity, more the MOFT and less likely the bearing failure. This was especially important in diesel engines, where high torque at low RPMs could further decrease the MOFT. (MOFT is directly proportional to HTHS viscosity and RPM and inversely proportional to torque.) Once the MOFT becomes zero, there is no oil film and there is direct metal - metal contact and you are at the mercy of antiwear, extreme-pressure, and friction-modifier coatings on the metals.

The second crucial finding was that the fuel economy was also directly determined by the HTHS viscosity. Less the HTHS viscosity, more the fuel economy. In fact the relationship holds so extremely well that you can simply tell from the HTHS viscosity alone what the fuel economy of an oil will be -- save for the effect of the friction modifiers.

So, at the end, HTHS viscosity has become the single, most important measure of motor oil and you can tell how much an oil has wear protection and fuel economy from the HTHS viscosity alone (save for the antiwear, extreme-pressure, and friction-modifier additives). Note that most modern gasoline engines don't require too high HTHS viscosity to protect against wear and you can benefit from fuel economy of small HTHS viscosities without causing significantly more wear than with larger HTHS viscosites in gentle driving conditions (larger HTHS viscosity would be good for hard driving).

Here is the preview of a great book on HTHS viscosity:

High-temperature, high-shear viscosity be James Spearot

Obviously the measurement of HTHS viscosity is fairly complicated and requires expensive equipment and for that reason used-oil-analysis labs don't report this single most crucial quantity for engine oil.

As far as the friction modifiers are concerned, they are similar to antiwear additives, the most famous antiwear additive being ZDDP. They do form thin coatings on the metal parts, just like the antiwear additives. ZDDP forms a thin coating of phosphorous and zinc and moly forms a thin coating of molybdenum and sulfur, along with other elements in the lattice. Note that moly is not only a friction modifier but an extreme-pressure additive and an antioxidant as well. ZDDP is an antiwear additive and an antioxidant. All antiwear additives, extreme-pressure additives, and friction modifiers used in oil are organic (oil-soluble) -- they are not solid particles (except for ad hoc aftermarket products which contain inorganic [not oil-soluble] molecules in suspension). Activation happens either at high temperature or when the metal parts rub against each other (which also generates heat due to friction). After the activation due to rubbing and/or high temperature, micron-thin films of phosphorous and zinc or sulfur and molybdenum coat the metal and they serve as antiwear, and/or extreme-pressure (against scuffing), and/or friction-modifier additives. ZDDP alone increases friction but ZDDP and moly together decrease the friction (more than moly alone) and decrease wear (more than ZDDP alone). For this reason a precise balance of ZDDP and organic moly works best to form the strongest antiwear and extreme-pressure coating with the least friction coefficient.

Here is a good presentation on moly.

I said 200 ppm Mo but chances are that even 50 - 100 ppm of Mo may be sufficient if trinuclear organic moly is used according to the presentation above. Mononuclear and dinuclear forms are not as affective and you would need more Mo ppm for these kinds. Also, any organic moly that doesn't contain sulfur is useless as an oil additive. Trinuclear moly is made and patented by Infineum/Exxon-Mobil (Infineum also partly owned by Shell).

. . .
The units for high-temperature, high-shear viscosity is cP, and it's measured at 150 C (high-temperature) and 1,000,000 (10^6) 1/second (high-shear). High-shear means two engine parts sliding against each other with oil flowing between them and the shear rate is the relative speed of the parts divided by the distance between them.

. . .
So, at the end, HTHS viscosity has become the single, most important measure of motor oil and you can tell how much an oil has wear protection and fuel economy from the HTHS viscosity alone (save for the antiwear, extreme-pressure, and friction-modifier additives). . .

Here is the preview of a great book on HTHS viscosity:

High-temperature, high-shear viscosity be James Spearot

Obviously the measurement of HTHS viscosity is fairly complicated and requires expensive equipment and for that reason used-oil-analysis labs don't report this single most crucial quantity for engine oil.
. . .
I said 200 ppm Mo but chances are that even 50 - 100 ppm of Mo may be sufficient if trinuclear organic moly is used according to the presentation above. . . .

Thanks!

I had not seen HTHS discussed in Machinery Lubrication so now I have more research to do. You might have noticed the shear-down occurred in my testing.

As for oil additives, I've long been skeptical of after-market oil additives. It never made sense that oil companies wouldn't have already exploited these advances. But we had someone in another forum get excited about boron nitride which by accident led me to the Argonne Labs report. The irony is the 100 ppm of boron in Mobil 1, in our ignorance, may have been doing the boron CLS treatment all along . . . explaining my results.

My data does shows relationships with small particle counts and temperatures on idle fuel consumption. Rather than investigate after market additives to Mobil 1, I will instead look at:
  • fine particle removal
  • engine temperature management

I may return to oil testing but probably using vendor oils rather than trying to 'juice up' an existing product. Your suggestion that heavier grade oils may be more shear resistant is an interesting thought.

Bob Wilson

Your suggestion that heavier grade oils may be more shear resistant is an interesting thought.

Shear can refer to at least two things: (a) shear rate -- relative speed of two sliding parts divided by the distance between them (units in 1/second) and (b) permanent or temporary loss of viscosity due to shear motion. So, let me explain the proper terminology for these briefly.

Shear-resistant means that an oil doesn't lose its viscosity permanently because of high shear rate (rapidly sliding engine parts). Viscosity loss due to shear happens due to permanent breakdown of the large molecules making up the viscosity-index improvers. These molecules can also temporarily shear at high shear rate and then repair at slow shear rate -- that's why the high-temperature, high-shear (HTHS) viscosity is different than the kinematic viscosity -- so-called non-Newtonian fluid.

As far as the terminology for what you're referring to is concerned, oils with larger HTHS viscosity have larger minimal oil-film thickness (MOFT), which helps to separate metal parts in high load and low shear rate. Shear rate in this context actually makes the oil film thicker, as a viscous fluid (oil) apply higher balancing force against the object when the shear rate increases. But then this is also exactly why the viscosity-index-improver molecules may breakdown at high shear rate -- higher shear rate means higher force on the molecules.

So, we can write the formula for the minimal oil-film thickness as:

Minimal oil-film thickness is proportional to (HTHS viscosity) x (shear rate) / (load)

A SAE 5W-30 oil with a fresh-oil HTHS viscosity of 3.0 cP may easily permanently shear to an HTHS viscosity of less than 2.5 cP after a few hundred miles. In the formula above, one needs to use the HTHS viscosity after permanent shear, not the fresh-oil HTHS viscosity.

Note that minimal oil-film thickness refers to the thinnest part of the oil film separating the concentric cylinders in a bearing rotating under load:

Backup_200507_lubapp-shaft_motion.jpg

Once again, thank you!
. . .
A SAE 5W-30 oil with a fresh-oil HTHS viscosity of 3.0 cP may easily permanently shear to an HTHS viscosity of less than 2.5 cP after a few hundred miles. In the formula above, one needs to use the HTHS viscosity after permanent shear, not the fresh-oil HTHS viscosity.
. . .
This is very helpful and explains some results from my transaxle oil testing.

I noticed that the Type T-IV sheared down in the first 40k miles and then plateaued:
pri_toil_01.jpg

The measured 40C/100C viscosity is very close to the starting viscosity of Type WS, 24.6/5.5. So as an experiment, I've been testing Type WS.

The wear rates with Type WS are about 2x for ordinary materials and 4x for copper. So I no longer recommend this oil in the NHW11 transaxle.

I will go back to Type T-IV and measure the wear rates over service miles ... looking for the 'knee in the curve.' More importantly, letting it shear down to the ending rate and see how long we can go on a given batch.

However, I intend to do something to enhance small particle removal. I have been surprised at how the small particle load can exist with little impact on how opaque the samples are but that will be another thread.

Bob Wilson

Excuse my GREAT ignorance boys, but i'm a neophyte.
Summarizing what are meaning the bwilson's study?
That boron nitride is no good for ours engines?

And whta's do you meaning here:

"The literaturre says it forms a chemically bonded, solid lubricant on the friction surfaces. But I have no information about what happens when it forms in an oil with a high ratio of 4 and 6 micron particles. My concern is that it might fix or anchor these smoke-like particles like a diamond mount. This would be bad."

?
So, products like Ceratec (Boron + Mos2) are unnecessary, I understand you correctly?

Originally Posted By: Massimo_A
. . .
Summarizing what are meaning the bwilson's study?

I can find no evidence that boron CLS reduces engine fuel consumption. I found evidence that particles sized in the 6 micro range have a effect. Temperature effect on oil viscosity losses were observed.

That boron nitride is no good for ours engines?
Don't know as it was not tested.

And whta's do you meaning here:

"The literaturre says it forms a chemically bonded, solid lubricant on the friction surfaces. But I have no information about what happens when it forms in an oil with a high ratio of 4 and 6 micron particles. My concern is that it might fix or anchor these smoke-like particles like a diamond mount. This would be bad."
The Argonne Labs reports say a layer of boric-acid, material forms on the bearing surfaces. However, we do not know if this excludes 4-6 micron particles or does it fix them like sandpaper. It remains an unaswered question.

Bob Wilson

Thanks for the link to the thread.

It looks like there are four boron compounds used but I'm still stuck with no metric or knowledge of what is used in the Mobil 1 in my experiment. So I can't tell if my engine had already received the effect of a boron CLS treatment or something else.

What I can state is any effects from boron CLS is masked by the small particles, 4-6 microns, in the oil. Furthermore, the rapid increase suggests latent gunk/sludge in oil pan is the likely source of the small particles. The detergent action of boric acid would explain the small particle observations.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Last edited:
The important thing to realize is that the antiwear additive ZDDP (600 ppm P required for all engine oils), Mo additives, B additives, etc. all fight for the metal surfaces. ZDDP forms a crystal lattice of P - Zn - O - Fe, Mo forms a lattice of Mo - S - O - Fe. Since you have all of these additives simultaneously, they form a mixed lattice. On top of that the detergents and dispersants also fight for the metal surfaces to clean up these thin films (they are deposits after all) and these additives fight against the detergents and dispersants.

So, unless an additive package is carefully formulated with the right balance of additives, you might sacrifice antiwear, friction, detergency, and/or antioxidant properties.

I also read the Argonne Research Labs newsletter on the boron research. The major problem with the research is that it only uses a pure oil basestock with no other additives and the tests are done in a friction-measuring apparatus, not a real engine. When all the other additives are added and when the actual engine conditions are realized, the picture would be much, much different.

For that reason for best fuel economy and engine wear, you are probably best with the latest GF-5/Resource Conserving grades of a quality-brand oil. In addition, the smaller the HTHS viscosity (2.6 being the minimum allowed by ILSAC), the better the fuel economy (therefore 0W-20 has the best fuel economy and 5W-20 is almost equally good), but don't use a too low HTHS viscosity for your car than what is recommended, as it could lead to increased engine wear and even abrupt engine damage.

Hi Bob,

Another oil to consider for hypermiling is the Pennzoil yellow bottle (conventional) SN/GF-5 5W-20 or 5W-30 (5W-20 being more fuel efficient naturally due to smaller HTHS viscosity). It's loaded with moly -- almost 300 ppm of Mo. It should make a great difference in fuel economy with gentle driving. The effect of friction modifiers mostly disappear with hard driving though -- the gentler you drive, the more effective the friction modifiers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back