05 Odyssey worth PS pump replacement?

So a couple years ago the pump was making a good amount of noise. Turned out the noise was just from faulty o rings and reservoir. I replaced both O rings, reservoir (all bought from Honda) and 3 quarts of fluid and it instantly fixed the noise and steering got noticeably better. Here we are today and noise is still gone but low speed turning is brutal. 150K miles and we plan on holding on to her until she dies, hopefully a couple more years at least. Should I consider an aftermarket pump replacement? Or just do another flush with good fluid + some conditioners? Also, the last thing I want to do is something that will cause the oem rack to leak.

I had the same thing happen to me on my 97 Accord.
It had no power assist when doing parking lot maneuvers .
I ended up replacing the pump with one I bought at Rockauto.

I had similar issues on my 98 Sienna. Don't use a rebuilt pump, try to get one from the junkyard. Rebuilt lasted a year. Pump on the sienna was a total pain to replace.

I would try doing a few drain and fills with a good fluid and see if that helps. If not, a pump replacement will be in your future, but luckily they are fairly easy to access on those Honda V6's. It's amazing what a good fluid change can do for those systems. I had a co-worker with a P/S pump on a Ford Explorer that made a ton of noise. Changed all the fluid out for Valvoline MaxLife P/S fluid and it is quiet to this day. To be fair the fluid was jet black in that truck, but she was ready to spend close to $1000 to have the pump replaced at a shop.

Reactions: JC1
I replaced the leaking pump on our 2006 TSX. I used a new cheapo pump from Amazon. That was 2 years ago and it is fine.
If I were you, I would start with a fluid flush; easy and cheap.
If that didn't help, I would try and get your pump rebuilt locally, if you are lucky enough to have a rebuilder locally.
This is why I used the cheapy from Amazon; I wanted to keep the original pump for a quality rebuild.
I was not able to get the rebuild done at the time, as I was off recent surgery. A friend did the new pump install.

Here is the pump I used: Cheapo New PS Pump

Good luck.

I had the same thing happen to me on my 97 Accord.
It had no power assist when doing parking lot maneuvers .
I ended up replacing the pump with one I bought at Rockauto.
Yes! no power assist at all in tight parking spaces. It's horrible, I'm surprised my wife doesn't complain more. I struggle with the wheel at 6ft 190lbs.
Btw, how was the replacement pump? Night and day?

Looks like replacing the pump on those is a very easy job.
Yes, it's at the very top, not too bad at all, probably an hour.

I would try doing a few drain and fills with a good fluid and see if that helps. If not, a pump replacement will be in your future, but luckily they are fairly easy to access on those Honda V6's. It's amazing what a good fluid change can do for those systems. I had a co-worker with a P/S pump on a Ford Explorer that made a ton of noise. Changed all the fluid out for Valvoline MaxLife P/S fluid and it is quiet to this day. To be fair the fluid was jet black in that truck, but she was ready to spend close to $1000 to have the pump replaced at a shop.

I did a full flush less than 2 years ago. Bad again already?

I replaced the leaking pump on our 2006 TSX. I used a new cheapo pump from Amazon. That was 2 years ago and it is fine.
If I were you, I would start with a fluid flush; easy and cheap.
If that didn't help, I would try and get your pump rebuilt locally, if you are lucky enough to have a rebuilder locally.
This is why I used the cheapy from Amazon; I wanted to keep the original pump for a quality rebuild.
I was not able to get the rebuild done at the time, as I was off recent surgery. A friend did the new pump install.

Here is the pump I used: Cheapo New PS Pump

Good luck.
Same here on my 06' TSX. The P/S pump is so easy to change, just bought a cheap one of Amazon. Been going strong for 2+ years.

I don't love the idea of those Amazon PS pumps however they are $50-60. Maybe I will order a cheap one and keep the original for rebuild like someone suggested above.

Yes! no power assist at all in tight parking spaces. It's horrible, I'm surprised my wife doesn't complain more. I struggle with the wheel at 6ft 190lbs.
Btw, how was the replacement pump? Night and day?

Yes, it's at the very top, not too bad at all, probably an hour.

I did a full flush less than 2 years ago. Bad again already?

Oh yes... after the pump replacement it was night and day difference... I can steer in a parking lot using only my index finger... versus the two arms and mule when it didn't' work.

Ordered a Cardone reman pump for an Accord but received a new one. Still working fine after 2.5 years, I should have bought a lotto ticket.

Was your 05 covered by the PS pump warranty extension? Our 06 EXL had the same failure symptom ( hard to steer at low speed) not long after the basic warranty expired. Cost $600 at dealer to replace the pump and “improved” reservoir with white paint dot on the cap. Not long after we got a letter from Honda stating they extended the warranty and reimbursed the full cost of repair.

Apparently the original reservoir had inadequate filtering which contaminated the pump. Might be worth an inquiry but your description sounds similar to a failing pump.

Was your 05 covered by the PS pump warranty extension? Our 06 EXL had the same failure symptom ( hard to steer at low speed) not long after the basic warranty expired. Cost $600 at dealer to replace the pump and “improved” reservoir with white paint dot on the cap. Not long after we got a letter from Honda stating they extended the warranty and reimbursed the full cost of repair.

Apparently the original reservoir had inadequate filtering which contaminated the pump. Might be worth an inquiry but your description sounds similar to a failing pump.
Same on our '06 - new reservoir to sort that issue nearly 10 years later.

I actually went into honda 2 years ago to buy the new reservoir and it didn't have the white dot on it. I bought one from Amazon as well (honda oem) and it also didn't have the white dot on it. I used the one from the dealer and it seems to be okay. I doubt it would be under warranty still at this point right?

The white dot was probably a during a transition period 10 years ago, I’m sure they are all updated now. No clue on the warranty extension, maybe call Honda corporate?

Edit: A thread on OdyClub seems to suggest that it was an 7yr/100k mi extension. Given you are past that, it’s YMMV. I’d still call the Honda Care and tell them you remember getting the letter but don’t recall terms. What’s the worst they can say?

Last edited:
Back