05 jimmy or 05 crv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling both and purchasing something else did cross my mind. It would have to be a 4runner or tacoma, but even selling both I don't think id have enough lol.

In my area 4Runners and Tacomas are like gold. For example a 2006 4Runner is double the resale price of a comparable year Tahoe or Yukon. Even with potential frame rust issues. They definitely hold value. In new England anyways.

Originally Posted by frisco
Selling both and purchasing something else did cross my mind. It would have to be a 4runner or tacoma, but even selling both I don't think id have enough lol.

Sell the Jimmy and drive the CRV while you look for next vehicle perfect for you and in budget. CRV is an easy sell compared to Jimmy.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
My mom owned a 2000 Blazer before her 2007 CRV. KEEP THE CRV. That 4.3 Blazer/Jimmy is a constant headache. They always need something, eat ball joints, those stupid remote oil filter lines that fail, the fuel pumps, the electronics, that turn signal stalks, and fuel economy only a little better than a tahoe.
I had a 2003 Blazer and can attest to issues, got rid of at 133,000 miles for a Toyota. Eat Ball joints: an upper ball joint went out early on. Remote oil filter lines: Mine was leaking, but not losing a lot yet, didn't do anything to it before ridding it. Fuel Pump: Left me set, towed, fixed $600 later. Electronics: ABS module sent out for repair. Turn Signal Stalk: No problem. Fuel Economy: Agree with poster, but hey, but same experience with mid size trucks as well.

Originally Posted by whatnext
Had a 2000 jimmy. It will tow 5000 lbs. The front wheel bearings had to be replaced every 35k miles. Something in the rear axle breaks around 100k miles. Stranded a guy in the office who had the Oldsmobile version. Got rid of mine at 86k miles when the gas guzzler rebates were offered. Body-on-frame trucks are better for towing.
Inteeresting, didn't replace my bearings or have rear axle break. But I didn't tow with mine either.

My determination would come as which one has more rust up top and below. I like the Jimmys/GMC paired with the 4.3L. engine. You dont see many of those on the road anymore -- and I like being different!!! I had a 96 Blazer with the 4.3L and remember it being bad on gas overall and especially for a daily driver. Heck that honda engine is just broken in now though.

I have driven both. The CRV is the superior. It will likely need A/C work done at some point. The compressors like to fail, other than that they are exceptionally solid vehicles. My cousin has one, her and her sister who previously drove it for a couple years are not easy on it. It keeps on ticking though, with over 200K miles if I remember correctly.

My brother on the other hand had a Blazer (Jimmy) and had nothing but problems. Suspension parts going left and right, engine knocking, and transmission slipping so bad you couldn't drive it were a few of the problems he had. Obviously these are only two data points, but I feel others will have similar feedback.

Thank you all for your input. I love the truck chassis jimmy, but i've decided to sell the Jimmy once I get the CRV. The jimmy's under body is pretty bad. Leaf springs, shackles, suspension, and other misc parts are rusted.
Jimmy front suspension 1
tie rods
Rear axle

I've been pondering to sell crv if I find a 00-02 4runner, but hard to find with minimal rust. Another option is to import a rhd hilux surf (4runner diesel 10k-12k, v6 gas 9-12k cdn) or diesel land cruiser (12-14k cdn) from japan. They are normally are rust free, and parts are interchangeable with usdm market.

For now I will enjoy the Jimmy, so far it has been reliable, and I'll enjoy the crv once I have it. My father in law told me the AC worked last summer.

Thank you all again for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Its sad to see the undercarriage pictures of that Jimmy. RP-342 would have prevented that.

Yeah, it is sad. I remember when my dad parked it, it wasn't like that. I guess from the 5 years of sitting and not washing underneath before storing it did its toll. Reason for parking it was the fuel pump died, and he had other projects going on. So no time to fix until it was forgetten.

I saw some vids on that RP-342, will most likely use that on my current and future vehicles.

Thank you all for your input. I love the truck chassis jimmy, but i've decided to sell the Jimmy once I get the CRV. The jimmy's under body is pretty bad. Leaf springs, shackles, suspension, and other misc parts are rusted.
Jimmy front suspension 1
tie rods
Rear axle

I've been pondering to sell crv if I find a 00-02 4runner, but hard to find with minimal rust. Another option is to import a rhd hilux surf (4runner diesel 10k-12k, v6 gas 9-12k cdn) or diesel land cruiser (12-14k cdn) from japan. They are normally are rust free, and parts are interchangeable with usdm market.

For now I will enjoy the Jimmy, so far it has been reliable, and I'll enjoy the crv once I have it. My father in law told me the AC worked last summer.

Good choice. I too loved the truck feel of my Blazer. But got rid of it, because I could see it was a problematic vehicle. Next vehicle was a Toyota. I can say, GM didn't do themselves any favors in making Blazers and S-10 trucks.

Honda will be easier to live with, by far, as a DD. Even new, those Jimmy's didn't fare well. It's like GM went through some cheapening around that time. They aged rapidly with regular use and seemed to nickle-nag their owners. I saw a lot of friends buy them up when newer because they looked so sleek for a compact 4x4, but the ruggedness wasn't there.

I've lived with a couple of crv's. Yes, the dual-pump fluid needs to be swapped every 30k. It's easy to do. Internally, t's a similar architecture to jeeps "guadatrac" limited slip arrangement. If the front spins out, it will bite and kick you forward. It is effective in the snow and in the slick rain, and stays out of the way the rest of the time. Keep the fluid changed and it will be happy. IMO it's a superior system to the haldex arrangement which you see everywhere else, Ford, Volvo, etc.. The honda engine and drivetrain will be much easier to live with as well.

The only reason I'd consider the Jimmy is just if you have a thing for RWD vehicles from a driver's hobby point of view. If the vehicle "means" something to you. CRV's are ubiquitous and can be a bit of an appliance, especially newer ones with the CVT, which is what my wife drives now (LOVES IT, her favorite car she's owned, and admittedly, it's really good at what it does). I don't like to admit that the "image" of a car matters to me, but to a degree it does, and the CRV doesn't do it for my own tastes. I'd eventually consider selling it and seeking out a volvo wagon or somesuch,

Jimmy front suspension 1
tie rods
Rear axle

Check the health of your rear leaf spring shackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back