05 Honda Odyssey Supertech HiMi Full Syn 5w30 6300 mi

No valve adjustment yet. It still sounds pretty good and I don't think it needs it.
Those are usually the ones that need it the most. The last one I did sounded perfect at idle but had almost zero clearance on all of the exhaust valves.

What does it usually cost for a J series valve adjustment? I assume they replace valve cover gaskets at that time?

What does it usually cost for a J series valve adjustment? I assume they replace valve cover gaskets at that time?
Valve cover gaskets, and depending on age and mileage, spark plug tube seals as well.

Usually it is 3-4 hr book time depending on model and plugs are done at the same time. Average rate around here is $800 for the package.

Valve cover gaskets, and depending on age and mileage, spark plug tube seals as well.

Usually it is 3-4 hr book time depending on model and plugs are done at the same time. Average rate around here is $800 for the package.
I have a buddy who works at an Acura dealership who does all my maintenance for me. So usually cut the number in half which is nice. I'll see what he says about doing it.

Since everyone keeps telling me that I should have them adjusted, I contacted my buddy and he said $175 if I buy all the new gaskets/seals. Pretty good right?

Since everyone keeps telling me that I should have them adjusted, I contacted my buddy and he said $175 if I buy all the new gaskets/seals. Pretty good right?
Extremely good. Just make sure it is done stone cold.

I would get dealer gaskets only. The Fel-Pro ones are junk, Stone ones are ok if you do not plan to keep the car for more than a few years. Usually the manifold gaskets can be reused. Honda sells a valve cover gasket kit for each bank that includes the gasket, tube seals and grommets.

The engine will likely be noisier after adjustment.

Also, if you have a basic scan tool, tell us what your MAP voltage reading is at hot idle all accessories off.

Extremely good. Just make sure it is done stone cold.

I would get dealer gaskets only. The Fel-Pro ones are junk, Stone ones are ok if you do not plan to keep the car for more than a few years. Usually the manifold gaskets can be reused.

The engine will likely be noisier after adjustment.

Also, if you have a basic scan tool, tell us what your MAP voltage reading is at hot idle all accessories off.
He mentioned the engine has to be cold. He's a veteran Honda/Acura mechanic, I trust him. I have a $100 rockauto credit so I will likely get gaskets there. I do have a scan tool, a cheap one and a bluetooth one. You want the measurement before or after? Why would the engine be noisier after the fix?

He mentioned the engine has to be cold. He's a veteran Honda/Acura mechanic, I trust him. I have a $100 rockauto credit so I will likely get gaskets there. I do have a scan tool, a cheap one and a bluetooth one. You want the measurement before or after? Why would the engine be noisier after the fix?
Before/after would give you a good comparison. The info should be present under live data on most generic tools.

Exhaust valves will usually be tight due to recession. Tight valves (inadequate clearance) are always quieter than properly adjusted ones. Loose valves cause excessive noise.

Back