'05 Dodge Neon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here so hello.
I just bought an '05 Neon with 76K and now have 82K on it and it has behaved flawlessly so far. Any known issues I should be aware of?
thanks

Timing Belts.

Had a 96 Neon that threw the timing belt at the worst possible time.

Other than that, a decent little car that served me well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: measureman
I'm new here so hello.
I just bought an '05 Neon with 76K and now have 82K on it and it has behaved flawlessly so far. Any known issues I should be aware of?
thanks
Nope they finally got it right by now... It was the early ones that had their issues...

Treat it right and it will treat you right!

I always thought of Neons as the Rodney Dangerfield of cars- they got no respect!

The dreaded head gasket problem was finally fixed by then. Neons aren't too fussy about motor oil, any decent 5w30 or 10w30 should be fine- your 05 may call for 5w20, that's OK too.

Timing belt- the 95-99 models called for timing belt replacement at 105,000 miles, I believe the 00-05 is the same. *Don't* try to stretch that- the Neons have an interference engine, & a broken T-belt will kill a few valves, maybe a piston too. When you do replace it- also replace the water pump, it's hidden behind the timing belt, & it can save you *Big* trouble later on. No foolin'- new T-belt, give it a new water pump. You've already done all the hard work then, take advantage of it.

Something I strongly recommend- put a Fail-Safe thermostat in it- they lock open when they go bad, so it doesn't overheat. Normal t-stats lock closed on failure, = overheating! On Neons, thermostat replacement is an easy quick job, and a bad case of overheating can cause a leaking head gasket. Even on the later models where the HG was no longer factory defective!
wink.gif

A Neon wart- the 95-99 models were infamous for the "73 mph shake", caused by being *very* sensitive to front tire balance. The 00-05 models, somewhat less so, but it's still there. If yours runs smooth, congrats! The shop that balanced the front tires did well. If you know who balanced the current smooth-running front tires, when it's time to get new tires, take it back to them.

A good forum & source of info is www Neons dot org . Hope all continues to go well, enjoy your Neon!
19.gif

Great little cars, but there are two things I would do soon.

If its an automatic - put an external transmission cooler on it. Second generation Neons with the 4-speed automatic transmission tend to have problems with the trans cooler inside the radiator. The cooler line will actually fall off the radiator, and if you are NOT lucky, you will have coolant intermix with the ATF+4.

Second thing I would do is replace the multifunction switch in the steering column (about $60). If that switch shorts, it will distort the connector that goes to the harness. It's a 15 minute job to replace.

My family has had two 2nd Generation Neons with very little trouble over a couple hundred thousand miles. I do know that they have these two issues, and both are preventable.

When I changed the oil I noticed a small trans cooler just behind the motor. I thought this was a stock item. Does this mean someone has already put one on?

Originally Posted By: measureman
When I changed the oil I noticed a small trans cooler just behind the motor. I thought this was a stock item. Does this mean someone has already put one on?

Does it have a fan on it? If not then installing it behind the motor and not in-front of the radiator makes it kinda pointless.

I was going to say stay on the trans fluid. My fleet put one into fleet duty and it ate 2 transes, but hey were basically asking it to do a trucks job, so take their problems with it for what they were.

Originally Posted By: hinterlander
That little cooler behind the engine in front of the rack is a power steering fluid cooler. The trans cooler is inside the rad.
That is what I thought but I thought maybe U.S. models were different...

Haven't done a lot of work on the later neons to notice the changes.

I know they beefed up the coolers in the radiators so they don't fall apart or leak anymore. T/G!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back