'04 CVPI, 50K Mi, Valvoline 5-20, 3K Mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Forgot to add the oil filter was whatever cheapo thing the Valvoline Instant Oil Change guys used. Plain white filter, no markings.

Sounds good, I have an 05 PI and I was also going to do a UOA on it to see how it's doing. Looks good. Be safe out there
cheers.gif

I have this engine in an 04 Grand Marquis (man, I hate the name), and think I'll run Pennzoil Platinum in it. It's highway cruising 50,000 miles per year, so if conventional Valvoline does that well in your engine, maybe I can get 7500-10000 miles per OCI on mine. Will do a UOA to be sure.

Quote:

Trust me guys, I drive this car every day at work. If there ever was a severe service, this car does it. It is driven about 12 hours a day, but only racks up about 100-150 miles a day. Average of about 9-10MPG.

I work in the traffic unit for my dept and my 05 CVPI is driven hard to say the least. Working the interstate going WOT 10-15 times per day, running hard to priority calls, sometimes getting up to over 100mph ASAP, then 3 nights or so a week, the car idles 8-10 hrs because I’m working off duty at a road construction site. That doesn’t count the idle time during the 10-hour shift. My dept uses 4k OCIs. I usually sneak in there around 3k-3,500 to get it changed. I got the car April of 06 with 28 miles on it and as of yesterday, it has 65,213. Plus you have the hot muggy weather here in wonderful South Florida. The guys at the garage use low bid Coastal oil products with Baldwin OFs. Trust me, there is no way the dept is going to buy better oil because they never look at the big picture with the better protection and possibly extended OCis. They always look at the initial cost.

Quote:

We have not had any engine or oil related failures in the 2+ years I've been here, and never heard of one from our department either. I couldn't justify spending more $$ on something that isn't broken, you know??

I would agree the engine will last and do fine way past the time the car is taken out of service.

Quote:

Quote:

We have not had any engine or oil related failures in the 2+ years I've been here, and never heard of one from our department either. I couldn't justify spending more $$ on something that isn't broken, you know??

I would agree the engine will last and do fine way past the time the car is taken out of service.

The PIs and trannys in the CVs are well known for lasting a long time if properly maintained. I think all will be well just keep the oil/filter changed. Most of the CVPIs (at least mine) comes from the factory with an external oil and tranny cooler.

If your department is like mine, the "shops" own the cars and the department leases them. Once they meet the service life(4-5 years) the shops take them back and get rid of them and we get a new car. No real reason for expensive oils and longer oic's. Yes, 3k is severe service in a patrol car. The cars are tools and treated as such.

In my dept, the agency buys the cars and after they get approx 80k on them, they send them to the auction. We use 4k OCIs. I think it is too much but I do not make the million dollar decisions.

An 04 with 50k miles, that is wierd. All the 04's are either gone here or on there way out with 100k miles. It's rare to see an 04 around. You must not work for a Police Agency and are a volunteer?

Quote:

An 04 with 50k miles, that is wierd. All the 04's are either gone here or on there way out with 100k miles. It's rare to see an 04 around. You must not work for a Police Agency and are a volunteer?

I average 3-4K a month on my 05. I got it with about 2,800 and I have had it since April 06. Just rolled 66K on it yesterday.
driving.gif

Not a volunteer, full time police officer. I drive that car 5 days a week. The car was used as our Chief's car for about 2 years when it was first purchased in April 04. I think it accumulated about 8K miles in 2 years since he lives about 2 miles from work, and generally only drives it to and from work.

When it became a duty car, that's when the miles started racking up quick. That is the reason for the low miles vs. age.

Originally Posted By: theedge67
Average of about 9-10MPG.

And this is about the only reason I don't own a CVPI. Back when gas was over six bucks a gallon here, that would have been nuts!

(My habits are about the same as yours on the CVPI.)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Nominal numbers. Short OCI. TBN beat to death in 3K? Not so great. Are all the emissions components fully functional?
Probably the Valvo is a 3,000 mile oil to beginwith.

Take theedge67 and tackleberry625's word when they say this is about as severe as duty gets for an automobile. They do stand it a long time though, if well maintained.

theedge67,

I think this a good report and as good as one could hope for under this type of service. A more robust oil might hold TBN longer but I think one would have a hard time improving on wear numbers.

Thanks for posting,

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: theedge67
Average of about 9-10MPG.

And this is about the only reason I don't own a CVPI. Back when gas was over six bucks a gallon here, that would have been nuts!

(My habits are about the same as yours on the CVPI.)

I get double that fuel mileage in my 96 CVPI. On the last tank (which was winter gas), 100% city miles, driving like a granny, I got 18.6mpg. During the summer, with 20z per 10gal of Lucas UCL I managed 20.24mpg in the city.

Sadly, because I drive 75 on the interstate I'm lucky to see 24mpg.

Chevrofreak, you get excellent mileage for a large car. The reason for 9-10 mpg in my case is extensive idling, followed by several full throttle jaunts through town each day. When I say extensive idling, I mean longer than 20-30 minutes at a time. On any given day I would estimate the car idles somewhere between 2-4 hours, (although just the other day it idled for at least 4 on my 8 hour shift alone) and is actually running about 15-18 hours per 24 hour period.

With that much idling I would consider running an Auto RX maintenance dose in the oil. My car was lucky to get 14-15mpg before I ran Auto RX. I think all the idling must have plugged up my piston rings.

It might be 3,000 miles on the odometer but add in all that idle time and you could be double or triple that if converted to miles.

Oil provided excellent wear protection despite the extreme environment. Don't listen to the haters. Valvoline is a fine oil. Some guy got 1,000,000 miles on his Ford Van running nothing but bulk Valvoline and Valvoline filters...and he changed it only every 10k miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back