04 Acura RSX-S, KA6MT, Redline MTL, 13035 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had expected to change the redline every 20K or so, but my trans was getting a bit notchy again (common prob to all the RSX folks). Redline seems to clear it up for about 10K miles.

-First result is Honda Factory Fill, 16 months, 9786 miles on oil (break-in)

-Second result (latest) is Redline MTL, 13 months, 13035 miles on Redline MTL.

Format: 1st result/2nd result (latest)

Iron 55/13
Chromium 0/0
Lead 21/32
Copper 39/12
Tin 0/0
Aluminum 15/5
Nickel 0/0
Silver 0/0
Silicon 35/19
Boron 1/27
Sodium 0/0
Magnesium 15/12
Calcium 3045/3433
Barium 0/0
Phosphorus 1555/1157
Zinc 1883/1288
Molybdenum 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Vanadium 0/0
Potassium 0/0

Fuel NA/NA
Visc100 8.52/9.74
Water 0/0
Soots/Solids TR/TR
Coolant NA/NA
Nitr 2/NA
Oxid 78/NA
TAN 2.16/3.90

OEM looks better. But, mileage on RL is ~40% higher.

I would stick with that 10k interval. If the wear doesn't come down after another UOA, switch to a different fluid. Also, since RL thinned a some, maybe mixing in 10-20% of MT90 might help.

Amsoil MTF is another option.

Was the driving style on the RL more aggresive then the OEM breakin fill?

I think the redline looks better, and can say from driving experience my car shifts smoother with the combination of redline mtl-mtl 90. I will take a sample when drain.

Driving style was a little more aggresive on the RL.

I am happy with all but the increase of lead... It didnt seem to thin too much, but I'll keep an eye on it next time.

--Eric

"OEM looks better."

Um, UnDummy, can you be specific? Because I can't see it ... except for the one lead number. Is that a lead bearing holding the main (lay?) shaft?

Red Line looks significantly better ... especially since it appears that the Honda MTF thinned out considerably. I believe it starts a lot thicker than that (don't have a number handy).

Just found this:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=1#Post699498

Honda MTF starts out at aound 11 cSt. Wow, did that stuff ever shear down in a hurry! :eek:

Hmmm ... I wonder if the shift quality goes down as the fluid shears?
dunno.gif

Sorry, read the results backwards. RL looks better.
There need to be a standard form for entering UOA.

Definitely stick with the RL.

For me, the difference between Honda MTF and RL MTL is night and day. RL feels sooo much better, it's good to know that it protects better as well. Thanks for the report!
patriot.gif

I have MTL in my RSX 5-sp. Took out HG at 7500 and the MTL was much nicer. Got a bump in mpg too. AT 40k, I'm looking at AMSoil for next time.

"Doesn't RL polyol base oil leech lead?"

It may ... that would explain some of the UOAs I've seen ... including my own several years ago. But usually, you see an increase in copper as well.

Having used both Redline MTL and Amsoil MTF ... I now prefer the MTF. Stuff is terrific in my '06 Civic.

almost every Redline UOA on a Honda engine and tranny seems to show increased lead, if it is harmful or just some harmless side effect is something that I'd love to know. It's the only reason I don't use their engine oil in my Honda engine and I've gone over to Amsoil instead.

Originally Posted By: JSRT4
almost every Redline UOA on a Honda engine and tranny seems to show increased lead, if it is harmful or just some harmless side effect is something that I'd love to know. It's the only reason I don't use their engine oil in my Honda engine and I've gone over to Amsoil instead.

Both Redline and Amsoil make fantastic products. Your preference of the bottle-style and the logo on the bottle is the primary difference. I don't know if the leaching is a concern, but after subsequent use I have never seen a UOA that scared me away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back