04 350Z Castrol Syntec 5W-30 7680 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMZ

Hey guys! Very interesting site here
smile.gif
Got my first UOA done. Compared to some others my readings look good. After looking at others reports, I think my next will be with Blackstone, OAI report just does not look as good to me. So on to the goods, during this run of oil I installed a few things. A cat back exhaust, intake, and plenum spacer. Also I drove from CA to VA in 4 days and changed the oil (when sample was taken) 2 days later. I put in Amsoil 5W-30. My intervals are per Nissan @ 7.5k mi. I used an OEM Nissan filter last time but next time will use an Amsoil filter. Doesnt eat oil at all. I take good care of it (always let it get to op temp before I zoom off
grin.gif
)I run the car pretty hard, redlining often, high revs, etc. Thats why Im switching out Amsoil at 7.5K. The report said Syntec had life left, so Im sure Amsoil will. What do you guys think?
 -

This is a great report. Maybe other grades of Syntec are better than I have thought?? Wear metals are very low and TBN is strong. I would have stayed with this oil.

GMZ,

Maybe you have become use to reviewing Blackstone's UOA sheets?

I think the OAI oil analysis sheet layouts are fine, I believe you will pay more for a equivalent Blackstone Oil Analysis,
also, the OAI analysis sheet have graphs for some of the wear elements,
your oil did fine for the miles.

By the way, there are other UOAs for Castrol synthetic that are fine with up to 10,000 miles.

Thanks for the replies. The main reason Im changing the oil at these intervals is for the warranty. I have a 100k bumper to bumper so the 7.5K is the longest I can go(which is why TBN is not really crucial to me). I like the Syntec but think Syntec may be the "man in the corner" compared to the others, but my car seems to love it.Other Z's have issues with M1 burning so thats why Ive shyed away from that. Just wanted to try something new I guess. The OAI are terribly convinent though, I got a prepaid kit from Amsoil when I bought my oil. We will see if it does that much better in 7K more miles. May just swich back to Syntec. Thanks for the replies.

Well, well, this report doesn't exactly support my cherished belief that the VQ35 needs a thicker 30 wt. Unfortunately, I have not done UOA on the few fills of lighter (all dino) 30 wts I've had in mine on occasion. I've been getting stellar UOA from the German Castrol (commonly "GC" which is the 0w-30 Syntec and is actually substantially "thicker" than the 5w-30 at op temp). You might consider a run of GC to see how your VQ reacts. Mine (installed in a G35, the close cousin of your car) is noticeably quiter and smoother on the 12.2 cSt GC than it has been on the 10 cSt dinos I've tried. The 5w-30 Syntec is also around 10 cSt. All that said, I certainly can't argue with this result. Nice. Thanks for posting your data.
cheers.gif

Oh yeah, forgot this: in prowling some of the 350Z and G35 boards I came across a discussion a while back about the M1 consumption issue. I had thought this might be a result of the generally "thin-ish" vis of the M1 30 wt products. Since 5w-30 Syntec is also pretty low in the 30 range, this would suggest that there may be more to the M1 consumption thing than mere light viscosity.

Ahh a VQ brother! Ive been using Syntec in this one and my last Z (yes Ive had 2
grin.gif
) And am pleased with the results, but not as pleased as I am now. I may just put Syntec back in when its time for all that again. I really think its best to stick with what works, and at $20 for 5 qts!I think alot of the oil consumption issue have to do with how the engine is broken in. Most of the Z guys run their cars pretty hard, sometimes right off the lot. I bought this Z from my Dad who RELIGIOUSLY took care of it. I helped him do most of the work. If I would have broken in the engine on the street racing scene I used to frequent in my young and foolish days? Well I dont think the UOA would look this good, but then again I cant be sure. I know that my VQ doesnt eat a drop,and I run the crap out of it sometimes. But I can still get over 30mpg. Ill look at the UOA when I switch out this Amsoil and decide further. Cant wait for 60K to change out tranny and diff
lol.gif

The cross country trip yes mostly I40 and then I64 with some others inbetween Ive forgotten. But the other 4.5K was mixed. I drove 4 mi to work and 4 back all city and drove to my Dad's on weekends mostly highway there.

I've also picked up on some of the other forums that the VQ is somewhat senstive to being treated with care during the break-in. I pretty much followed what the manual recommended and then worked into more and more spirited operation from there. At almost two years and 53k miles, and plenty of use of the engine's potential (
wink.gif
), I'm getting great UOAs with zero consumption. Looks like you've got a very similar situation with your VQ.

quote:

Originally posted by speedtc:
I think all the vq's like heavier oil to be pure speculation.

Just like the LS1 likes heavier oil
rolleyes.gif

quote:

I think all the vq's like heavier oil to be pure speculation.

Respectfully, what's your basis for this statement? In evaluating statements like this, I find it acceptable to consider both the purely objective data, as well as more subjective info (so long as one keeps straight which is which). Do you own a VQ-powered car? I do, and mine is noticeably smoother on the thicker oils. Another important hint: the manual specs three grades of oil for use in current VQ35 engines: 5w-30, 10w-30, and 10w-40. OTOH, the manual does state that 5w-30 is "preferred", but again, mine sings a song that suggests it really prefers a 12 cSt oil vs a 10 cSt oil.
cheers.gif

Well I think it depends on the engine. Mine happens to like 5w-30 pretty darn good, so I will keep feeding it that. Some like 10w-40, some like 5w-30.
grin.gif

Ekpolk...I own a 2004 altima 3.5. I use Platinum 5w30. Maybe you prefer a thicker oil because it makes you feel better by what you percieve to be a smoother engine. So IMO it's the owners perception that matters.

quote:

Ekpolk...I own a 2004 altima 3.5. I use Platinum 5w30. Maybe you prefer a thicker oil because it makes you feel better by what you percieve to be a smoother engine. So IMO it's the owners perception that matters.

What's wrong with perception? If perception didn't matter why would there be brands like Lexus, Cadillac, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln, and so forth. I can clearly perceive the difference in how my engine runs on a 10 cSt oil vs. the GC I normally use (over 12 cSt). Have you done any back-to-back experiments to compare? How are your UOA?

EDIT: I should note, that as I suggested in an earlier post in this thread, I can't prove (and don't claim) that my experience indicates that all VQ35s will behave in the same manner. Too many variables, of course. Another thing that occurs to me is that certain installations of the engine may result in significantly different perception from the driver's seat. The 350Z and G35 are strung tighter than an Altima, Maxima, or Quest. Desingers do all sorts of different things with different models. It may simply be that a presumably greater amount of NVH in a 350 or G35 allows the driver to discern more then he or she might in, for example, a Quest.

I was going to say that ekpolk, the Z/G platforms are worlds different than an Altima, I should know I used to have one
wink.gif
That being said they are designed to two completely different ends, with different needs in mind. So its only sensible to say that they like different things
smile.gif
I like my Z alot better btw
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back