03 Corolla; M1 5W-30/#132

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's car
rolleyes.gif

03 Corolla with 1.8L/auto tranny.
Mobil 1 5W-30 with 150ml of #132. No make up oil.
Purolator air filter and ST oil filter.
FP used a few times (4-5)
Replaced with M1 5w-30/15W-50 at 75%/25% ratio.....getting rid of old stock
wink.gif

code:

SAMPLE DATE: 01/04/04

MI/HR ON OIL: 6,048

MI/HR ON UNIT: 21,228

ALUMINUM--------3

CHROMIUM--------1

IRON------------8

COPPER----------2

LEAD------------0

TIN-------------1

MOLYBDENUM-----55

NICKEL----------0

MANGANESE-------1

SILVER----------0

TITANIUM--------0

POTASSIUM-------1

BORON----------85

SILICON--------18

SODIUM----------4

CALCIUM------2578

MAGNESIUM------12

PHOSPHORUS----685

ZINC----------827

BARIUM----------0

TBN: 2.1 --- (Yikes!)

SUS Vis: 62.5

Falshpoint: 360*F

Fuel: 0.3%

Antifreeze/Water: 0

Insolubles: 0.5

[ January 13, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Nice report Z.
cheers.gif
I'd give Mobil 1 without the 132 a try. I don't think Toyota's need it, at least thats been my experience.
smile.gif

Nice report. For that milage the oil didn't hold up very wel. I wonder why? Probably not the silicon. I'm sure the insolubles had something to do with it. But I'm wondering if the fuel dilution is 3% instead of .3% bc of the flashpoint. I would ask them to confirm that fuel dilution # .
smile.gif

buster,
I truly believe the #132 helped M1. It did the same for my Z28. I am running M1 without the #132 now though, although it's a 5W-30/15W-50 mix at a 75%/25% ratio.

JB,
I doubt the #132 improves TBn...It didn't for my Z28 with 350ml of it.

Al,
You might be right.....but I doubt the fuel is 3% though. The previous oil before this run was Pennzoil 5W-30.....maybe that weakened the TBN.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
You might be right.....but I doubt the fuel is 3% though. The previous oil before this run was Pennzoil 5W-30.....maybe that weakened the TBN.
dunno.gif

That is entirely possible. When you change the oil you will usually end up with 10-20% of the previous oil still left behind, so with certain oils mixed together like this the TBN could drop much faster than it would with 100% of one brand of oil.

Pat, I guess I should have told Terry that huh? We were trying to figure out the cause for the TBN depletion; but the fuel might still account for some of it, since the flashpoint is so low.

[ January 13, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Pat,
I only added 150ml of the stuff. Contrary to popular belief, #132 does not seem to thicken the oil all that much (IMO). I used 350ml with 1 qt of 15W-50 and the rest of 10W30 in my Z28 and it barely raised the viscosity to 12.2cSt. I think the whole 500ml in a 6qt sump would raise vis by about 1cSt or slighty more.
While on this topic, I'm beginning to be a #132 believer....it showed very good wear in my LS1 and it clearly did well here too. Maybe I should try GC/#132;)

I have GC on stand by, but need to get rid of this old M1 stock.....look at the adds in it....clearly is a bit older than what's available now (oil is ~1 year old)

It should be about 4-5 months before I have another 6k mile report on the current batch.

Rick

I tried using 16oz of #132 with 6 1/2 quarts of M1 5W-30. It raised the viscosity exactly 1cSt. The TBN seemed to suffer though...

jsharp,
You are one of the people who inspired me to use #132. Isn't 16oz the entire bottle? If so, I guess my comment was right on the mark.....it really doesn't raise vis that much. I believe this is a good product though...it really seems to limit wear on many engine designs. We will see how the TBN fares without the #132.

The report looks really good except for the TBN and flashpoint. I wonder why the addition of 132 didn't thicken it up more though? That viscosity looks about the same as 100% 5w30 would show.

It'll be interesting to see how the addition of 15w50 goes.

Any plans to try GC 0w30 in this later on?

Pat,
I only added 150ml of the stuff. Contrary to popular belief, #132 does not seem to thicken the oil all that much (IMO). I used 350ml with 1 qt of 15W-50 and the rest of 10W30 in my Z28 and it barely raised the viscosity to 12.2cSt. I think the whole 500ml in a 6qt sump would raise vis by about 1cSt or slighty more.
While on this topic, I'm beginning to be a #132 believer....it showed very good wear in my LS1 and it clearly did well here too. Maybe I should try GC/#132;)

I have GC on stand by, but need to get rid of this old M1 stock.....look at the adds in it....clearly is a bit older than what's available now (oil is ~1 year old)

It should be about 4-5 months before I have another 6k mile report on the current batch.

Rick

Yes, I used the whole bottle. It looked to me like it did impove my wear numbers at the slight expense of TBN and Terry concurred.

I'm using a whole bottle in my son's Pathfinder now with 4 qts. of Penzoil 5W-30 dino. Even though it's the rinse after an Auto Rx treatment I'll do a UOA on it when we change it just for the fun of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back